Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #976 of 1,722
Not, it is firmware update. I can't find a link for you, as load shedding hit my area in 5 minutes. A link to the Amanero you find on the Audio GD website, I think.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #978 of 1,722
New owner of a R-28 2018 version that I purchased from a member here. I had been thinking about getting a new amp to pair with my LDC-2C, as recently I began to view them as a bit lifeless and lacking bass from my Gungnir D/S/Jotunheim combo. I initially looked at just the NFB-1 amp, but discovered the R-28 that had the same amp section and a great R2R DAC. So, I decided to pick it up when I saw an ad in the For Sale section; this way I can check to see if it is the Jot or the Gungnir D/S that I no longer like with the LCD-2C. I was also curious how an Audio-GD DAC and amp compares to my Schiit gear. Not to mention an R2R DAC.

It's funny, I originally preferred my LDC-2C out of the Jot, as opposed to my La Figaro tube amp. But when I started to view the LCD-2C as lifeless, I tried them out of the La Figaro again and found I liked them better than the Jot pairing. Guess my tasted has changed some.

Been listening to just the R-28 itself the last few days and finally switched to NOS Mode 3 last night. I have really been enjoying the R-28, comes close to the Gungnir and La Figaro, which is great for the hot summer months. As my La Figaro puts out a lot of heat. Consider me a fan of the R-28! I'm looking forward to trying the DAC section with my Jot and La Figaro, but for now I am just getting acquainted with the R-28 by itself.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #979 of 1,722
New owner of a R-28 2018 version that I purchased from .......

I have the original R28 as well. A few things you may consider, which to my system, improve the sound.

.If you are using a normal PC as transport, switch to a RPi based transport
.Consider adding the DI20 with I2S to R28
.a good power cable
.do a firmware update, if you are still on an older version

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #980 of 1,722
I have the original R28 as well. A few things you may consider, which to my system, improve the sound.

.If you are using a normal PC as transport, switch to a RPi based transport
.Consider adding the DI20 with I2S to R28
.a good power cable
.do a firmware update, if you are still on an older version

So question about your first two points, what is the need to do both? My understanding about switching to a RPi Transport, is to add a HAT that utilizes a connection other than USB. Same with adding a DDC, Digital Interface, or USB to SPDIF devices are to get off USB as well. So is there a point to do both? I have an Etir connected to my Gungnir, which I may try with the R-28 at some point. Although, I don't think I can tell the difference between the Schiit Gen2/3 USB in my Gungnir vs the Gen5 in the Etir.

What would you consider a good power cable? I can't see paying more than ~$70 for a power cable and that is even pushing it. I'd be far more comfortable at about $30.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Firmware is at stock, which I think would be v1, as the previous owner never upgraded it. It is something I'll look into eventually.

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #983 of 1,722
You can use a RPi 4B to directly connect, using USB, from the RPi, to your DAC or going thru DI20. Software such as MoOde or piCorePlayer will provide your GUI.

Using RPi -> USB -> DI20 -> HDMI (I2S) - > R28

One of the best way to get a good power cable is DIY. Most of mine are done that way.

There is a sizable difference between the stock firmware and one of the later/latest version, at least to my system.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #984 of 1,722
@Mizicke5273. Congratulation! Ignore all suggestion, unless you need to improve things further. It can be not worth after all. Enjoy music!

The only things I would follow is firmware upgrade on the Amanero interface and then if you received firmware blaster, upgrade FPGA firmware to fix DSD noise.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #985 of 1,722
With a PC or Mac as a source it's advisable to convert away from USB - or at least add a USB conditioner inline - for ANY DAC, not just the R-28 (I have mine fed by a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 from a Mac mini, using I2S into the R-28, and the noise reduction is audible - you don't know what you're hearing until it's not there any more). But even if you soldier on with USB, definitely update to the latest firmware. It's superb, and changes the sound of the R-28 for the better.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #986 of 1,722
If your R28 has the usb isolator upgrade then any USB cleaning measures will be negligible. I have the eitr connected to my mimby and it makes a world of difference, but eitr into my R2R1 makes no difference.

I did hear a difference comparable to what gler described when I got 14awg (I believe) power cables for the NFB & R2R.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #987 of 1,722
Guys. All improvements are fine if there is a reason for. Sanity check, please :)

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #988 of 1,722
I have the R27 with all the 2020 upgrades (includes usb isolater & psu). When asked if the DI20HE would be of any benefit, Kingwa advised me that it would not make a discernible difference. I was trying to give him another $1k and he advised against it.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #989 of 1,722
Guys. All improvements are fine if there is a reason for. Sanity check, please :)
There are very valid reasons for the tweaks being suggested. They are being suggested by R-28 users who have tried them and heard the difference. Most of these tweaks have been advised by Kingwa as well.

If you own an R-28, have done some of the tweaks, and heard no difference, feel free to share your experience.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #990 of 1,722
I guess there's a difference between a former R28 and a fully loaded 19/20 or upgraded model.
First, try the latest firmware and a powered usb-hub and hear the change, as @gLer mentioned above.
It'll be worth it.

I'm fine with it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back