Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
May 29, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #946 of 1,593
Thanks I want to make sure its a significant upgrade if I'm going to spend 1200+ I bought rme before and didn't enjoy it as much.
It depends. R2R11 may sound fantastic. On the other system ground loops can ruin the internal calibration process and then the higher priced R28 with better protection (especially a new version with dual transformers) will show a difference of a magnitute. If ground loops or power noise do not affect your system, a difference can be minimal. A new version of R2R11 receives the same upgraded DA-8 modules.

This is what you always get better with R28:

1. A balanced DAC (two DA-8 modules per channel) cancel some type of distortions.

2. Better headphone amplifier. There are members who claim it control bas of HD600 much better. I am not sure about it, as I own HD600 paired with R2R11 and I can't imagine it can be any better.

3. Better jitter rejection in the CPLD FIFO circuit. R2R11 depends entirely on the Amanero module.

4. A choice of oversampling and filters, including (3)? filters for NOS mode. Those who listen a lot to the modern music mastered for delta-sigma converters prefer 8x oversampling mode. I would always chose NOS sans digital filter for classical, jazz and acoustic pop/rock. It gives the most natural harmonics, the closest to the life performance. You have it on R2R11.

5. More interface ports.

R2R11 is an enormous value product. I can call it a bite. A something that opens your mind to the high-end Audio GD products.

R28 is overpriced in my opinion. It has still a good value comparing to the competitors, but I take it on the ladder of A-GD products.

R27 is your end game and it doesn't cost 3-times more than R28, unlike competitors.

In other words, the best value is R2R11, then R27.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #947 of 1,593
It depends. R2R11 may sound fantastic. On the other system ground loops can ruin the internal calibration process and then the higher priced R28 with better protection (especially a new version with dual transformers) will show a difference of a magnitute. If ground loops or power noise do not affect your system, a difference can be minimal. A new version of R2R11 receives the same upgraded DA-8 modules.

1. A balanced DAC (two DA-8 modules per channel) cancel some type of distortions.

2. Better headphone amplifier. There are members who claim it control bas of HD600 much better. I am not sure about it, as I own HD600 paired with R2R11 and I can't imagine it can be any better.

3. Better jitter rejection in the CPLD FIFO circuit. R2R11 depends entirely on the Amanero module.

4. A choice of oversampling and filters, including (3)? filters for NOS mode. Those who listen a lot to the modern music mastered for delta-sigma converters prefer 8x oversampling mode. I would always chose NOS sans digital filter for classical, jazz and acoustic pop/rock. It gives the most natural harmonics, the closest to the life performance. You have it on R2R11.

5. More interface ports.

R2R11 is an enormous value product. I can call it a bite. A something that opens your mind to the high-end Audio GD products.

R28 is overpriced in my opinion. It has still a good value comparing to the competitors, but I take it on the ladder of A-GD products.

R27 is your end game and it doesn't cost 3-times more than R28, unlike competitors.

Wow thank you so much for the explanation maybe I just get r27 instead just to be sure money well spend
I don't think I have group loop problem since r2r11 sounds pretty good in my system do you have any audio gd dac recommend in place of r2r11? I have tube amp speakers system that I want to use with

May 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #948 of 1,593
the r27 inside looks like my reference 10.32. i don't bother buying new these days. i picked up the 10.32 for 850 USD. can't go wrong with that price. many years old so far no problem at all. i think the DA-8 chip is their version of the 1704UK. psychologically when you listen to something that is "rare" like the chip make you think it sounds better lol. but no seriously it does. im thinking about trading my 10.32 to a hdv800 Sennheier dac/amp. but i am pretty sure it's gonna be a downgrade.

May 29, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #949 of 1,593
Wow thank you so much for the explanation maybe I just get r27 instead just to be sure money well spend
I don't think I have group loop problem since r2r11 sounds pretty good in my system do you have any audio gd dac recommend in place of r2r11? I have tube amp speakers system that I want to use with
Sorry, I am not an audiophile expert. I gave my recomendation based on how the device is built. I do assess a value from a technical point of view. I also don't know whether you will use headphone amplifier. If not, there is a R7 model (without HPA), built similar to R27 but I see it is more expensive that R27! And a HE version!!! A few posts before another member @ToddRaymond has more specific plans in this range, I didn't research more.

Clock options are important in my opinion. Having said that I haven't had a problem with jitter when playing 192kHz files on R2R11.

Maybe you should arrange a listening test before purchasing. A tube amp is pairing wery well with R2R11. I wouldn't look any further.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #951 of 1,593

5. More interface ports.

Good list, I would add the volume control implementation is a technical upgrade over the R2R11 (I am using my R2R11 as DAC only, with other passive vol. control) amazing sound. After break in I prefer it over the Gustard A20H and Topping D70 I recently had in my system. Agreed also that the various filters mentioned above could have very high value for system matching.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #952 of 1,593
Good list, I would add the volume control implementation is a technical upgrade over the R2R11 (I am using my R2R11 as DAC only, with other passive vol. control) amazing sound. After break in I prefer it over the Gustard A20H and Topping D70 I recently had in my system. Agreed also that the various filters mentioned above could have very high value for system matching.
Oh, of course, thank you for the point. R28 has a digital volume control, giving 0.05% matching level. There are two blocks of relays (as seen on photos), 14 relays per channel (28 in total), these are not cheap semiconductor switches. It ads to a BOM cost around $200, my value estimation was wrong, sorry.

[EDIT]: And R27 has an analog volume control like R2R11!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #953 of 1,593
Indeed.
It's an exceptional device.
I don't think i'd make a hugh step from R28( fully loaded ) to the newer R27.
I like it on both, my headphones and my active speakers.
Sounds awesome. :L3000:

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #955 of 1,593
Colleagues, teel me, please, is there any difference between the Crystek and Accusilicon clocks femtosecond crystal oscillator?
A main difference is in spectrum density of noise. One has less noise in HF, the other in the acoustic frequency range. It is why Mr. Kingwa offer an option for Crystek for the USB interface and Accusilicon for a system clock and a DAC.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #956 of 1,593
Hello. I want to buy Audio-GD - R28 2020. There is no such experience with external DACs. I mainly listen to SACD (SACD-R) on Cambridge Audio Azur 751. I want to listen to SACD-R via PC USB -> FOOBAR2000 (JRIVER) -> Audio-GD - R28-> balanced beyerdynamic t5p headphones (and on an integrated amplifier).
Dear owners of the R2R DAC, please advise, Audio-GD - R28 2020 interacts (reproduces) the DSD format well? Or is it better to take Audio-GD - D28 on the ES9038Pro chip for this configuration?
I will be glad to all the recommendations and clarifications.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #957 of 1,593
Difference between the R28 and the chipped dac are, I quote:
---------------------------------------------------
They are not which is better but most different on the flavor and worth owning both, just like you own some different headphones.
Chipped DAC sound detail, dynamic, control but not bright and hash.
R28 had the exotic sound quality! Smooth, coherent and analogue, it had not emphasize anythings but had not miss.
E.g : You can image the D28 like a high defined digital photo but the R28 is like a real oil painting.
----------------------------------------------------

The above quote is from Kingwa, the designer for Audio GD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back