Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #736 of 1,722
Gents, I actually switched to accurate fw 3 when I first heard how over-smooth the smooth version was. Problem is, while accurate was certainly much sharper and more detailed, with super-resolving headphones like the Elex it was actually too sharp, if that makes sense. Vocals - especially some female vocals (Sarah Maclachlan ‘Fallen’ unplugged comes to mind) sounded ever so thin and edgy. It’s like a sharpening filter applied to a portrait photo that brings out too many pores in the skin - great if you’re after every single detail, but it leaves nothing to the imagination and borders on harsh. This probably is far less of an issue with speakers that diffuse the sound around the room, but with headphones up close and personal, it just occasionally became fatiguing. Some of Nils Lofgren’s guitar work in Acoustic Live - a superbly mastered recording - became positively razor sharp (and not in a good way) with accurate fw. Switching back to smooth v2 didn’t make all the details go away, but they just fell back a little and made more sense musically.

It’s great that Kingwa continues to give us options to tweak the sound of the R-28, but it doesn’t mean that newer is always better.

My only option now is version 3 and V3A detail is very goods than first version.

I will give it a try first and adapt to it.

too sharp I never try NOS mode before now I think I in oversampling x8

which I quite ok with it.

man this products is goods

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #738 of 1,722
Slightly OT but here’s a good article that explains why I personally prefer to use NOS over OS:

https://kitsunehifi.com/nosvsos/

Read the part about pre/post ringing (echo) of OS technology - that’s exactly what I hear, especially in vocals. That unnantural ‘echo’ is solved with NOS (just solved a bit too well with NOS smooth v3). To my ears OS 8x is hyper-detailed, but at the cost of some artefacts and digital ‘echo’.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #740 of 1,722
Slightly OT but here’s a good article that explains why I personally prefer to use NOS over OS:

Read the part about pre/post ringing (echo) of OS technology - that’s exactly what I hear, especially in vocals. That unnantural ‘echo’ is solved with NOS (just solved a bit too well with NOS smooth v3). To my ears OS 8x is hyper-detailed, but at the cost of some artefacts and digital ‘echo’.

Oh you article let me want to try NOS MODE 3

If I want to try NOS MODE correct me if I am wrong.
I have to put jumper on S1 and S4

And another question is what is S3 PLL setting

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN_Use.htm

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #741 of 1,722
Oh you article let me want to try NOS MODE 3

If I want to try NOS MODE correct me if I am wrong.
I have to put jumper on S1 and S4

And another question is what is S3 PLL setting

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN_Use.htm
You just need a jumper on s1. S3 will turn on the dsp pll. It has minimal effect on sound in my experience and it sounds better without,

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #742 of 1,722

Ringing is sort of a natural phenomenon caused by limited bandwith. But normally, you only have post-ringing. That being said, the ringing introduced by a digital filter will not necesarilly sound natural, nor the filter in general. Filtering the signal is trying to find missing high frequencies to improve dynamics. It is a real chanllenge to create a filter that sounds natural.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #743 of 1,722
Ringing is sort of a natural phenomenon caused by limited bandwith. But normally, you only have post-ringing. That being said, the ringing introduced by a digital filter will not necesarilly sound natural, nor the filter in general. Filtering the signal is trying to find missing high frequencies to improve dynamics. It is a real chanllenge to create a filter that sounds natural.
Which is exactly why I prefer NOS R2R and why I chose the R-28 :)

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #746 of 1,722
Hi guy I have some problem here.

I have PC (Window8) and note book to play this R-28

While PC (Window10) sound is quite perfect but

My note book have a hiss jit sound if I play from it.

I try to reinstall the Amanero 384 but the problem is still there.

So right now I only play with my PC.

Anyway different source effect the sound

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #748 of 1,722
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #750 of 1,722
I've added the Master 9 to my setup, as I was feeling that the amp on the R28 was a touch flat sounding.
Indeed, the Master 9 ups the sound a few notches: more spacious, more dynamic and everything just has more 'oomph' to it!
(R28 in V2 smooth NOS2 mode, connected via ACSS cable to the Master 9)

9939075_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back