Audio-GD Panther power amp anyone?
Jul 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #166 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep it does stays on for 10-15 sec and then it slowly decay.
Also when I press power button the Panther doesn’t go on strait away, there some sort off click in a few sec after button pushed and then it goes on. Same when I power it off. I guess its some kind delay thingy for protection.

Okay I have the same thing also.
Is your Panther sounding the same now compared to when you first received it?

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #167 of 187
First im excited,
atsmile.gif
Second what happend to the compass thread last time i was here it was rolling ! as i was catching up in this panther thread im a bit confused. the S1 is taking place of panther? i need to get straiten out.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #168 of 187
WOW!
This amp is running extremely hot! Without exageration, I cannot hold my hand on the left panel for more than 2 seconds or else I would have a 3rd degree burn on my hand.
eek.gif

My compass is on top of it and perhaps I should put it somewhere else.

Sound impressions with the Compass setup in neutral mode with Earth OPA are:

0hours: Sound is muffled, highs are very present, lows and bass almost totally absent, mids are not very present, soundstage is short. Sound is however, detailed and very sweet and somewhat musical I guess (sweet = musical?).

15hours: OMG! sound has totally changed. Bass and lows are very very very present. Highs have gone very shy and the mids are stil absent. Soundstage has dramatically widened both in width and in 3-D. The soundsatge reminds me of the cavernous Little Dot MK IV SE. Sound feels a lot more powerful but somehow still muffled. I used the soundtrack of Angel and Demons in FLAC format for this second sound evaluation.

That's it for now guys. I'd like to have some feedback to know if I'm doing this right or not.
I am satisfied so far and I can't wait to witness this baby grow to its full capacity.
popcorn.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #169 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALL EARS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First im excited,
atsmile.gif
Second what happend to the compass thread last time i was here it was rolling ! as i was catching up in this panther thread im a bit confused. the S1 is taking place of panther? i need to get straiten out.

From what Cherry told me, Audio-GD builds certain amounts of Panther units per month. Another head-fier specified that Kingwa decided to abandon the Panther because of lack of interest from customers.
S1 is the predecessor of the Panther which is an integrated amp. Panther is an upgrated power amp of the S1.

Can you share some impressions on the sound of the Panther?

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #170 of 187
Thanks punk guy for the update. that heat thing thats going on, when i get the compass and panther set up i will be feeling for the heat hope it dose not hinder the components of the amp ,i will test mine with a infra red lazer that measures
surface heat to 2000 deg. From measuring heat on my BBQ pit and when you say you can hold your hand on the side for just a couple seconds it tells me
your unit is over 200+ degree's. being i have little time my compass /panther
has been in the closet for a week now, told Kingwa about having time to burn in, the good guy he is has burned in my gears for 300 hours. So i have the 2 gears from the factory with 300 hrs. of burn in. my impressions may be a little different than the people with the 100 hour factory burn in. keep us posted hope its just a phase the compass is going through. i will post back with operating temps at 300hr. burn in mark.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #171 of 187
I'm reviving this thread because the Audio-GD Panther has reapeared on the amplifier section of the Audio-GD website. http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/en-amp.htm

This is a great power amp and it offers great synergy with the Compass. The fun factor is definetely there when listening to music and bass is awesome.
However, make sure to remind Kingwa to rewire his Compass correctly in order to get rid of the ground loop.

Punk.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #172 of 187
Yeah, I want the pants off one. I bought an inexpensive T-amp for my 2nd room setup and just for experimentation, but for my main setup in my listening room I'm going to do a Panther with the Phoenix preamp and DAC8/Ref1 and Diverter, going to my Klipsch 8" reference bookshelfs. Need to DIY some speaker cables, what a nuisance. Kingwa shouldn't kill the Panther, it's appealing as it's their only non-insane power amp (I'm not up for a $1000 80 pounder yet, that's overkill)

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #173 of 187
Scooter: I felt that the Panther was a better match with Compass. Much more bass, dynamics and pleasure. I like listening to some heavy stuff or techno/dance music.
I should give it another try with better RCA interconnects and I have some Audio-GD power chords coming along also.

Phoenix is a bit flat with Panther but I should give it another try before making a final judgement.

Did you ask Kingwa to make you one?

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #174 of 187
What does it mean when there is a humming sound through my speakers which is being produced by my amplifier? My Xiangsheng H-80BIII hybrid tube amplifier still plays the music, but now there is a buzz in the background which is especially noticeable when I'm not playing any music or when playing softer music.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #175 of 187
You can hear the hum while no music is playing but the hum is still present when playing music. It is just less noticeable.
The hum might be caused by a ground loop. Early versions of the Compass (final version) had a some problems in the wiring and thus caused a ground loop when put in Pre-Amp mode. A simple tweak can correct this with a wire and some simple soldering. If you have the Panther and a ground loop, I would look somewhere else to find the cause of this. Panther is not responsible for having a ground loop IMO.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #176 of 187
I unplugged the DVD cables from my Xianghsheng H-80BIII hybrid tube amplifier and the humming sound disappeared, so the problem was due to my cheap DVD cables. Now I know that good quality cables are very important!
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #177 of 187
I'm rocking a t-amp for now...but we'll see

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #178 of 187
I'm looking into getting this as my next upgrade. Just to clarify, you ran out of the pre-amp out of the Compass into the Panther, then back out into the line in on the Compass? I have powered speakers that I just run from the DAC out right now.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #179 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I unplugged the DVD cables from my Xianghsheng H-80BIII hybrid tube amplifier and the humming sound disappeared, so the problem was due to my cheap DVD cables. Now I know that good quality cables are very important!
biggrin.gif

Chances are you have a ground loop, get a cheater plug and rotate it to change the polarity. I expect the hum will go away in one of the positions.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #180 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking into getting this as my next upgrade. Just to clarify, you ran out of the pre-amp out of the Compass into the Panther, then back out into the line in on the Compass? I have powered speakers that I just run from the DAC out right now.

I ran The Panther with the Compass in Preamp mode.
The Panther is a great power amplifier to feed passive speakers and not active speakers.
I don't know what would be the result in coupling the Panther with active (powered) speakers. My guess is that you will seriously damage your speakers.
Compass could be a great PreAmp for your active speakers which feed themselves the power required so there is no need for a power amp.

For specifications: Compass & Panther

Users who are viewing this thread

Back