Audio-GD Panther power amp anyone?
Jun 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #151 of 187
Ricochet: Thanks for your impressions. I wonder how much burn-in time is required to have the Panther show its full potential. Perhaps the bass is shy at the moment but you'll be able to hear it more as the amp burns-in.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #152 of 187
Last night was fiddling with speakers and I found out that they sound much much better when the top rotating part of bracket is not screwed to the bottom one very tightly. I guess all that vibrating energy from woofers had no where to escape and backfired and clashed all frequencies in one mess. So now with loose speakers on brackets the whole system sound just amassing, could't go to sleep till 2 AM and my wife who was sceptical she stayed with me and we sat on couch for two hours listening music lol. Wow I really like this combo now.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #153 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He originally set up the grounding so that people who were plugging the Compass into an amp both using the DAC and pre-amp outputs wouldn't have hum issues. Unfortunately this was a mistake (by his own admission) causing people just using the pre-amp connection to experience hum when it was connected to a power amp. He's now fixed this.

Sorry, there is something I don't understand may be because of my english:
What is Hum?

Also, I would like to know what you mean by Kingwa fixed this? All the new production is now modify before shipping? If yes since when?

thanks!

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #154 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, there is something I don't understand may be because of my english:
What is Hum?

Also, I would like to know what you mean by Kingwa fixed this? All the new production is now modify before shipping? If yes since when?

thanks!

Quote:

hum 1 |həm|
verb ( hummed , humming ) [ intrans. ]
1 make a low, steady continuous sound like that of a bee : the computers hummed.
• sing with closed lips : he hummed softly to himself | [ trans. ] she was humming a cheerful tune.

All Audio-gd stuff I know of is made from when it's ordered (not pre-made as most manufacturers do), so when something is fixed, it's fixed from that moment onwards.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #155 of 187
Ok. Thanks for the definition Currawong!

But when was this issue fixed? I received my compass last month (Manufactured beg of may). Should I consider it's a "fixed" one?

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #156 of 187
Now that the Panther is no more, and the S1 is the only Audio-GD alternative, can someone tell me how exactly this would be connected to the Compass? The S1 is an integrated amp, and therefore consists of a pre and power amp section correct? If you connected the Compass to this, surely the signal would be passing through two preamp sections - both the Compass and S1's preamps?

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #158 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd use the DAC output of the Compass.

in that case any idea what the preamp section of the S1 is like compared to the Compass'? Are they likely to be very similar? If connecting this way, will changing Compass opamps make any difference to the sound signature still?

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #159 of 187
Regarding the preamp sections of the Compass and the S1, you'll have to ask Kingwa.
Changing opamps will change sound signature.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #161 of 187
Yes! HP amp section of the Compass is fully discreete and the sound signature is impressively neutral and it has a short soundstage.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #162 of 187
I have received my Panther today!
bigsmile_face.gif

I have only tested it for 5 minutes because it is too late and my neighbours are probably sleeping. I'll try it tomorrow and post some first impressions but don't expect too much because I'm a beginner at this. So far I can say that it sounds better than my previous amp: Little Dot T_150.
Something I noticed is that when I turn off the Panther, the blue led stays on.

Ricochet: Has the panther matured through out the time you used it?
How much burning-in is required to have this baby show its full potential?
Is your blue led still on when you turn off your Panther?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #163 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have received my Panther today!
bigsmile_face.gif

I have only tested it for 5 minutes because it is too late and my neighbours are probably sleeping. I'll try it tomorrow and post some first impressions but don't expect too much because I'm a beginner at this. So far I can say that it sounds better than my previous amp: Little Dot T_150.
Something I noticed is that when I turn off the Panther, the blue led stays on.

Ricochet: Has the panther matured through out the time you used it?
How much burning-in is required to have this baby show its full potential?
Is your blue led still on when you turn off your Panther?

Does the blue led slowly go out after a few sec? or it stay on throughout after u off it?
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #164 of 187
Yep it does stays on for 10-15 sec and then it slowly decay.
Also when I press power button the Panther doesn’t go on strait away, there some sort off click in a few sec after button pushed and then it goes on. Same when I power it off. I guess its some kind delay thingy for protection.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #165 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep it does stays on for 10-15 sec and then it slowly decay.
Also when I press power button the Panther doesn’t go on strait away, there some sort off click in a few sec after button pushed and then it goes on. Same when I power it off. I guess its some kind delay thingy for protection.

this is normal

same case with my dac19mk3
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back