Audio-GD Panther power amp anyone?
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 187

punk_guy182

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard, tried or reviewd the Audio-GD power amplifier?
I'm considering getting it to replace my current one, but I'd like to see some user impressions or a full detailed review before purchasing it. I'd like to match it with the Compass.

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 187
This could be an alternative to the Panther. A tube hybrid amplifier from Xiangsheng. 80 W/ch and USB output. For about $150 USD (in China), this could be a category killer.
smile.gif

Warning: I bought this Xiangsheng amplifier (in China) which has a voltage switch in the back, but it does not work in North America with 120 V. I was disappointed to find this out after returning to Canada. Until Xiangsheng sends me a step up/down transformer, I will not recommend Xiangsheng products to anyone.

H-80BⅢ-04.JPG

Xiangsheng H-80BIII Tube Hybrid Amplifier with USB.

Detailed Product Description

XiangSheng H-80B Tube and transistor mixed amplifiers

This amplifier is our new products ,which have four sources signal input for selecting:AUX line input,CD/DVD input,MP3/PC input,USB input.

1) with USB Connector,can be connected to computer(PC/MAC) to play music from digital files directly.

2) Specially fitted with earphone outputting function, able for direct use of earphone to listen to tube amplifier (the impedance of earphone must between 32ohm-600ohm).
3) Just connect your Portable Player (such as MP3, MP4 player etc) to the AMPLIFIER and hook it onto your home speakers and you will be astounded with the music quality.

4) Can be connected to CD/DVD players.

This nice amplifier adopts British Matisse improved preamplification Electric circuit ,
use 6F1 tube and 6N7P tube for preamplification, tube 5Z4P for rectifying.It can drive large power sound box.The engineer especially recommends this amplifier for middle or small listening room.

Main Parameter:
Signal to Noise Ratio : 89DB
Input Impedance: 100K
Output Impedance: 4~16 ohm
Frenqueney responses: 10Hz to 40KHz
Distortion: less than 0.01%
Output Power: 80W×2
SIZE: 340mm(width)×165mm(Height)×385mm(Depth)
Net weight: 7.5kg

H-80BⅢ-白面板特写.jpg

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could be an alternative to the Panther. A tube hybrid amplifier from Xiangsheng. 80 W/ch and USB output. For about $150 USD (in China), this could be a category killer.
smile.gif

Go check out Xiangsheng's Taobao store.
beerchug.gif
Xiangsheng's online store
Xiangsheng H-80BIII Tube Hybrid Amplifier with USB.

The link is in chinese and I don't speak the language.
How does the amp sound like?
Have you heard it?
Any reviews?

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard it?
Any reviews?

Xiangsheng has poor customer service and their products are not sold as advertised. It's best to look elsewhere.

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 187
Just looking at the pictures, makes me shudder as it would be costly. I would have to get new cables for the HD650 also.

But one thing curious, looking at the pictures, there isn't a volume potentiometer right now. Hmm how to change the volume? Just being an ass, I'm sure one will be added soon, probably a Quad Alps Blue Velvet?

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just looking at the pictures, makes me shudder as it would be costly. I would have to get new cables for the HD650 also.

But one thing curious, looking at the pictures, there isn't a volume potentiometer right now. Hmm how to change the volume? Just being an ass, I'm sure one will be added soon, probably a Quad Alps Blue Velvet?

Control the volume with a preamp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Control the volume with a preamp
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly! The Panther is a power amplifier and not an integrated amplifier. Therefore, it has to be coupled to a preamp (Compass) that has a variable level output.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

use a preamp

which is why compass would come in handy

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard it?
Any reviews?

Punkguy, If you don't mind, I took some of your PM questions public and turned this post into a little commentary about Xiangsheng and their H-80BIII tube hybrid amplifier.

You can check out Xiangsheng's English website here:

Hefei XiangSheng Electronic Co.,Ltd

The model I purchased (H-80B III) is only posted on the Chinese version of Xiangsheng's website. It appears the same model number on the English website is a different product. So, be aware of that.

Their email address is also listed on their website, so you can ask them how much the various products cost and how much is shipping for overseas customers. I'm currently living in China, so shipping was dirt cheap ($8 usd) for my amplifier. I had my wife order it for me at their Taobao website (China's eBay). Obvioulsy, the Xiangsheng staff can serve you in English since they have exported many of their models abroad.

There are a lot of hidden gems in China, so paying $150-$300 USD for a tube or tube hybrid amplifier isn't abnormal at all.

There is certainly a headphone jack for headphone users. I'm more of a speakers guy, so I don't use that feature.
wink_face.gif

The USB input on the amp allows you to play your music/video files from your computer or MP3 player. I believe the amp only works with Windows, sorry Mac fans.
tongue_smile.gif
A lot of Xiangsheng's products include a 115/230voltage switch.

Xiangsheng's most popular tube amps are the "Music Curve" and "Sweet Peach" product lines. You do have a choice of ordering one with a black or silver face plate on some of their models.

Here's pictures of the back of the H-80B III tube hybrid amp. It can also serve as a pre-amp.

200921857043801.jpg

H-80BⅢ-后特写.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of what it looks like inside, and I don't plan on opening up my amp either.
tongue.gif

I'm not sure if there is a DAC inside, but I assume there is one because it accepts USB input. It's better you ask the Xiangsheng staff some of your technical questions.
regular_smile .gif

As for the sound quality, it sounds pretty damn good to me, especially for what I paid for it ($150 USD). Seriously, sound quality is a very subjective matter, so who am I to say if it sounds better or more detailed as compared to some other products. Besides, I've only had the amp for a couple days, so I would need at least a month to break it in and to fully assess the sound signature of this amp.

As of now, I can already feel that I suffer far less ear-fatigue from listening to music with my Xiangsheng tube hybrid amp as compared to what I had before which was a good 2 channel computer sound card + amplified speakers.

I think everyone should give tubes a try to determine if it suits their ears.

I would love to hear from others what their experiences have been from using Xiangsheng's products. At this point, I think they are one of the best kept secrets in the Hi-Fi world. As a new Xiangsheng fan, I may as well help them get some more attention.
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 187
These have piqued my interest. Hopefully more people on here have tried some of these and have some input on them. Considering their prices Im worried about their quality or something unforeseen. I know Kingwas quality and service first hand as well as through many of those who also praise his work. I wont be buying for a while so hopefully some information/confirmation comes along by then.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Punkguy, If you don't mind, I took some of your PM questions public and turned this post into a little commentary about Xiangsheng and their H-80BIII tube hybrid amplifier.

I don't mind. Thank you very much!
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 187
I's rather go for the Panther. But I'd like to see some reviews first and the canadian dollar getting stronger in regards of the US dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back