Audio-gd NFB-5, 9 switchable filters
Feb 16, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #166 of 177
Looks like Low and High Gain gives out slightly different sound signatures. I find low gain to be a bit too smooth for my taste with the D7000. High Gain at the same volume level produces a clearer sound. Though I don't have much play with the volume knob, there are no channel imbalances, and the D7000 sings off the NFB-5 on high gain. Looks like my NFB 5 stays at high gain from now on.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #167 of 177
Can anyone help me with this question about the NFB-5? Can you select between the headphone amp, and the DAC RCA out from the outside of the unit? Or do you have to open the unit to switch between RCA and headphone?

Ok, found the answer. Switch is on the front panel.

May 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #171 of 177
Considering it gives out a whopping 3.5watts to 25ohm and 1.8watts to 50ohm, the HE500 at 38ohm should get over 2 watts. That's a ridiculous amount of driving force for orhtos outside of the HE-6. I highly doubt it will present any issues.

I'm a month late replying, but I just felt like posting how pleased I am by the NFB5. I know the NFB5.2 is out with upgraded USB, but I don't even use the USB, I use the Optical with the DIR9001 chip with the ACSS option, since I didn't find the stock or Moon op-amp to do anything different to the sound, except sound slightly worse than ACSS (I stress slightly).

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #172 of 177
Hey guys,

Has anyone used the NFB-5 as a preamp for stereo amplifiers? 

Also, I am finding the amp slightly harsh and fatiguing, especially with anything more than mezzoforte. String on orchestral pieces come to mind...

Anyone sharing the same opinion?

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #173 of 177
How new is it? They tend to need a couple of hundred hours of being switched on for the electronics to settle. After that the harshness disappears.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #174 of 177
Perhaps that's why... Thanks though for the tip.

But the NFB5 and DI have at least 200/250 hours of gentle background music since they were given to me as a present three months back. They still sound fatiguing esp with choruses and full orchestral crescendos. The low gain settings expands the soundstage and adds a lower noise floor, but the main vocals are split into coming from both left and right. :S

Anyhow, am selling them both as I'm relocating to a different country at the end of the month. :frowning2:

If anyone's interested in them give me a shout! They are no different then when I got them new 3 months ago...

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #175 of 177
Hi, I am thinking of buying new amp/DAC to replace my current Fiio E7 and NFB-5.2 is on the candidates list. Other amps I am considering are M-Stage (or Asgard, but I at the moment I am leaning towards M-Stage) + probably HRT MSII (or maybe even E7 with line out dock, until I get something better). I am listening mainly to old school metal (Slayer, Death), but also industrial (Nine Inch Nails, etc) and a bit of other genres. From the descriptions M-Stage can provide the SS I am looking for: punchy but controlled bass, slightly on the warm side, fast and aggressive. However I cannot find too much descriptions of sound provided by NFB-5.2 and NFB-5.2 seems to be cheaper alternative than M-Stage with additional DAC (at least in Europe). For now I want to use my current headphones - Ultrasone HFI-780 with it, but in future I will probably check out other ones just to compare different SS. I also don't plan on upgrading DAC/Amp for quite some time after buying it. My main concerns regarding NFB-5.2 are: Will it suit my music preferences? Won't it be too slow/muddy for thrash metal? I would appreciate any advice.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #176 of 177
One thing to think of is the output impedance of the NFB is 2ohms while the M-stage is 5 or 10 ohms.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #177 of 177
M-Stage has a 5 ohm output impedance according to website, I doubt it would be a big problem especially as M-Stage is recommended even for Denons. Anyway instead of M-Stage or Audio-GD I went for O2 and ODAC, it's cheaper than any of previously mentioned units and I figured I can give it a shot, but that's different story :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back