Audio-GD NFB-3 (2014) ES9018 DAC
Oct 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #181 of 207
Run the setup.exe again and choose uninstall/remove. If it fails, try again while the device is turned on and connected.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #182 of 207

Ok, I tried everything exactly as suggested, including Kingwa's instructions and my new laptop does not recognize any USB device or Audio Gd. It failed to flash the firmware. I switched and repeated the procedure with my single 2.0 usb port and each of my two additional 3.0 usb ports, to no avail.

Either the Firmware chip is broken (which would mean it is indeed a serious vulnerable issue for this DAC, as there's no reason for that to have happened, or something is not right with my new laptop's usb ports ...)

Tomorrow I'll do the same with my old (dying) laptop and see what comes out of that. As much as I like the device, I'm already thinking about replacing it with something more sturdy and reliable, with support in English (half of what I e-mailed to Kingwa is misunderstood and viceversa!)

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #183 of 207

Went ahead and tried the procedure in my old laptop. No use. Nothing works as it is supposed to. I'm definitely going to replace the spare Firmware chip and see what happens, but that would not explain why the drivers cannot be uninstalled or installed properly.

This has been the most frustrating experience in my audiophile journey and I'm this close to send the stupid thing back (sell it) and get me a decent device.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #184 of 207
That's very bad. All these issues I am reading re Audio-gd's USB driver/firmware etc are becoming a concern for me being a new owner of NFB-1 (2015). I'm glad I have managed to sort out the drivers installation on 2 laptops I have at home. Hope you can sort out your issues and can enjoy music again.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #185 of 207
What is curious is I managed to install the fricking drivers the first time around and it was working fine until the new (improved) Firmware came out and just trying to uninstall the drivers put me in this dilemma. The new laptop is a total mystery to me, as it has never recognized the device, has never installed the drivers properly, etc.

It seems the only common ground here is the finicky Firmware chip, which may have failed (without any reason that I can think of), and yet again, it would not explain the inability to uninstall or install drivers in either unit.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new DAC, these devices sound great, just hope your Firmware chip is more robust than mine (assuming my issues are chip-related).

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #186 of 207
  What is curious is I managed to install the fricking drivers the first time around and it was working fine until the new (improved) Firmware came out and just trying to uninstall the drivers put me in this dilemma. The new laptop is a total mystery to me, as it has never recognized the device, has never installed the drivers properly, etc.

It seems the only common ground here is the finicky Firmware chip, which may have failed (without any reason that I can think of), and yet again, it would not explain the inability to uninstall or install drivers in either unit.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new DAC, these devices sound great, just hope your Firmware chip is more robust than mine (assuming my issues are chip-related).

sorry to hear your dilema, i have used many agd dacs and have 0 trouble so far. I have performed firmware upgrade/downgrade with driver install many times and nothing happened to USB chip, so i think the chips are quite robust or at least reasonable level :)

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #187 of 207
Thanks for the kind words. The only thing left is to replace that chip. I don't know yet what it entails (no experience in electronics whatsoever), but I'll give it a try. If that does not work, the unit is going back!

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #188 of 207
Hello Every one,

NFB-3 is on the top of my list.
This will be my first Audio GD equipment.
I Live in Europe, so i have to dicide if i Buy directly from Audio gd (and pay customs)  or Buy inside Europe  from a European agent.

Any one have experience of  from buying in Europe?

According to Audio Gd Site we have in Europe the follow agents:

Poland
http://www.4HiFi.pl
http://www.interprojekt.pl

France
http://www.audiophonics.fr

Norway
www.malaaudio.no
www.digitalimpuls.no

Hungary
www.audio-gd.hu

Any one have bought from this agents?

I am concern if a buy from a agent, this agent is responsible for warranty service - according to  Audio Gd Site:

"2. Products purchased from our worldwide agents could obtain free local warranty service. For details, please visit the corresponding   website below."

What can you , that have more experience, advice me?
Should i By from from Audio Gd or from a local agent?

Thank you

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #189 of 207
Is the usb input important to you? The txco upgrades (2 x 20$) possibly are highly recommandable, someone else might comment on that. I don't know if any of the agents do offer those upgrades.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #190 of 207
  Is the usb input important to you?...  I don't know if any of the agents do offer those upgrades.

Hi Asound,

Thank you, your question is almost an answer for me.

Yes TCXO is important to me.

As far as i can see some agents just sell them separately.

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/composants-electronique-horloges/audiogd-tcxo-ultra-low-jitter-clock-100mhz-pour-es9018-p-8547.html

O don't know , but i think  if we own install TCXO, we may loose waranty.

BTW do we need a soldering iron to change TCXO or is it just plug?

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #191 of 207
  Hello Every one,

NFB-3 is on the top of my list.
This will be my first Audio GD equipment.
I Live in Europe, so i have to dicide if i Buy directly from Audio gd (and pay customs)  or Buy inside Europe  from a European agent.

Any one have experience of  from buying in Europe?

According to Audio Gd Site we have in Europe the follow agents:

Poland
http://www.4HiFi.pl
http://www.interprojekt.pl

Thank you

I only read one guy on an audioforum who bought the Audio-GD Master 7 at Interprojekt.pl.
He wrote between paying and receiving there were only 3 days. The dac was delivered to Germany.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #192 of 207
  O don't know , but i think  if we own install TCXO, we may loose waranty.

BTW do we need a soldering iron to change TCXO or is it just plug?

That probably depends on how this upgrade is applied, my guess is that you need a soldering iron for that.
I know that the interface for the optical input is changeable by the user, while you do not loose the warranty. But you also do not need to solder anything there.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #193 of 207
Could any current owner of the Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) who has also owned or listened enough to the Resonessence Labs Concero (original or HD/HP), or the Yulong D200, forward some SQ opinions relative to the Audio Gd? Thanks in advance!

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #194 of 207
  Could any current owner of the Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) who has also owned or listened enough to the Resonessence Labs Concero (original or HD/HP), or the Yulong D200, forward some SQ opinions relative to the Audio Gd? Thanks in advance!

i dont have nfb3 but owned nfb28 and original concero, the dac portion in the concero is not really special, to my ear its 99% identical to an O2, both O2 and Concero were used with seperate linear PSU.
NFB28 and concero share similarity in tonal, but the presentation is quite different, compared to the concero NFB28 is in another higher league, it has more natural/effortless presentation, better 3D sense creation and better treble detail/extension. The concero has  trouble with imagine and soundstage, quite flat which made everything a bit incoherent.

imo, the concero can only be considered as superb usb/spdif converter with bonus dac function :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #195 of 207
Understood, thank you! May I ask what DAC(s) are you using these days? Reason I ask, is in case my AGD is returned/sold, I'd need to get a replacement, either a side-step (hopefully without the AGD issues) or an improvement, at more or less the same order of magnitude in cost (USD 500-750).  Thanks in advance to anyone's suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back