Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 13, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,681 of 2,104
  For anyone who wants to know - I was considering buy one of these however I found out from Kingwa via email that they'll be releasing a version with the ES9038PRO chip in the next 1-2 months for an extra $200 USD.

Oh my god, that would be perfect! I've been trying to decide for a while between the Oppo Sonica and the NFB-28, this is the best of both worlds. Fingers crossed for a pre-order discount...

What is that chip? What other products use it? and why is an $200 USD upgrade just for a chip?

Right now, it's just found in the Oppo Sonica and the Matrix X-Sabre Pro, the latter of which is spectacular. The 9038 is best in class for many specs, such as DNR, and excels at clarity and detail. From what I understand, the replacing the 9018 (which the NFB-28 uses) with the 9028 is fairly simple given the pin structure of the chip. But moving to the 9038 involves a large amount of re-engineering to make it work with the surrounding circuitry. At least, that is the word on the Gustard thread (when people were wondering why move to the 9028 instead of the 9038).

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,682 of 2,104

Oh my god, that would be perfect! I've been trying to decide for a while between the Oppo Sonica and the NFB-28, this is the best of both worlds. Fingers crossed for a pre-order discount...

If Kingwa feels that there's a demand for the new ES9038PRO then maybe they'll push production forward? It might be worth sending an email...

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,684 of 2,104
  Why there is noone using nfb 29h since it has better sound quality?

This is a quote from the Audio-GD website:

"Different to the NFB-28:
The NFB-29 is a single ended DAC with headamp and preamp (+/- 30V DC high voltage power supply ), The NFB-28 is balance DAC with headamp and preamp (+/-15V DC power supply ).  So They had same output power specs can drive most headphone as well.
If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29 get better performance than the NFB-28.
If customer had the balance connector headphone or can modify the headphone with balance connector, choice the NFB-28."

source

I want the NFB-28 as it's fully balanced.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #1,685 of 2,104
  This is a quote from the Audio-GD website:

"Different to the NFB-28:
The NFB-29 is a single ended DAC with headamp and preamp (+/- 30V DC high voltage power supply ), The NFB-28 is balance DAC with headamp and preamp (+/-15V DC power supply ).  So They had same output power specs can drive most headphone as well.
If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29 get better performance than the NFB-28.
If customer had the balance connector headphone or can modify the headphone with balance connector, choice the NFB-28."

source

I want the NFB-28 as it's fully balanced.

Yes, but balance is your need, toward other people looking for an aio choice single ended, nfb29 is a better value, better sound, better performance than the nfb28. But it is strange that theres even no thread for the nfb29 (wew i found one thread but only 9 pages), comparing to a 118 pages nfb28

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,686 of 2,104
  Yes, but balance is your need, toward other people looking for an aio choice single ended, nfb29 is a better value, better sound, better performance than the nfb28. But it is strange that theres even no thread for the nfb29 (wew i found one thread but only 9 pages), comparing to a 118 pages nfb28

I guess people go for the NFB-11 if they want single ended.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #1,688 of 2,104
  You dont understand. Better sound than nfb28 at single end plug....certainly the nfb28 balanced plug is better than nfb29 single end plug

You don't get it. Both products have almost the same price, but balance mode mean u have to divide half of parts for each line, that mean lower quality. Even Kingwa stated it in his website

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29H/NFB29HEN.htm

"If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29H get better performance than the NFB-28.

The same thing happen for the Audio-gd nfb1 amp and C2 amp. C2 got better sound, but if you want to use balanced mode, choose NFB-1.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #1,690 of 2,104
  You don't get it. Both products have almost the same price, but balance mode mean u have to divide half of parts for each line, that mean lower quality. Even Kingwa stated it in his website

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29H/NFB29HEN.htm

"If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29H get better performance than the NFB-28.

The same thing happen for the Audio-gd nfb1 amp and C2 amp. C2 got better sound, but if you want to use balanced mode, choose NFB-1.

It's easy to see the physical differences in the circuitry and to appreciate that the sound will benefit somehow. However, I haven't been able to determine how that is reflected in the specs. Perhaps, this is what butch111 is getting at as well.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,691 of 2,104
I know that there is coming this week something new....so keep cool 
wink_face.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #1,692 of 2,104
I want to see if Kingwa will implement THD compensation from the new chips. For us the most important features will probably be improved DPLL lock, new filters, and the aforementioned THD comp. With good power regulation already, I wonder how useful THD comp will be, especially if it can cause phase shift or introduce its own noise. I am staying with ES9018 for the foreseeable future, usually with these new chips, the second and third design iterations bring significant optimizations over the initial implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back