Audio-gd NFB-28
Dec 22, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,606 of 2,104
Breaking in the new HD6XX on my NFB-28.

Sounds damn good. Even in single-ended.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,607 of 2,104

Wouldn't the better match for the Mimby be the Audio GD C-2 11th Anniversary? Its basically the NFB-1 but single ended (I think I read its just 1/2 of the Master 9, same topology.) Kingwa said the C-2 performs better than the NFB-1 if you are only planning on using a single ended source like the the Mimby. 

I'm currently dealing with my own dilemma. 

I have a Mimby currently and I want to upgrade my amp. My options are:

Modi Multibit + C-2 (Around $850 with tax+shipping)
NFB-1 + NFB-1 DAC (Around $1200 with tax+shipping)

With the second setup I gain balanced but I add roughly $350 and I lose the multibit sound. Decisions, decisions. I want to keep me units separate which is why I'm taking the 28 out of contention. 

I'm on the fence about ordering an NFB-28 vs the NFB-1 dac+amp combo. I emailed Kingwa and he said the difference between the two is very minimal. I respect that since the NFB-1 combo costs much more. 

As far as balanced, don't worry about it unless you have a very noisy environment with tons of electronics. The only noticeable benefit of balanced connections in a headphone setup would the the extra power. Even then twice the power is only an extra 3dB and quadruple the power is another 6dB. Balanced connections between the amp and dac should not be a priority in a home environment. But then again this is a hobby, and you are allowed to want stuff for no reason than to have it.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,608 of 2,104

Wouldn't the better match for the Mimby be the Audio GD C-2 11th Anniversary? Its basically the NFB-1 but single ended (I think I read its just 1/2 of the Master 9, same topology.) Kingwa said the C-2 performs better than the NFB-1 if you are only planning on using a single ended source like the the Mimby. 

I'm currently dealing with my own dilemma. 

I have a Mimby currently and I want to upgrade my amp. My options are:

Modi Multibit + C-2 (Around $850 with tax+shipping)
NFB-1 + NFB-1 DAC (Around $1200 with tax+shipping)

With the second setup I gain balanced but I add roughly $350 and I lose the multibit sound. Decisions, decisions. I want to keep me units separate which is why I'm taking the 28 out of contention. 

It's not so much for the balanced headphone out (although I can grab a balanced cable for my hd650), but more for the balanced preamp out to my studio monitors.  They pick up a ridiculous amount of noise when I use the single-ended out on my aging NFB-12.  If I go from my NFB-12 single ended preamp out into my DJ Mixer, and the balanced out from my dj mixer to my monitors, all of the noise goes away.  

At this point I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to get a Modi Multibit and an NFB-1AMP.  TBH I'd probably get Jotunheim + Modi Multibit if the Jotunheim had proper output switching, but I switch between my headphones and monitors too often (during music production) to have to worry about constantly turning off my monitors and unplugging my headphones with the jotunheim.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,609 of 2,104
  I'm on the fence about ordering an NFB-28 vs the NFB-1 dac+amp combo. I emailed Kingwa and he said the difference between the two is very minimal. I respect that since the NFB-1 combo costs much more. 

Then why are you still on the fence :)

As far as balanced, don't worry about it unless you have a very noisy environment with tons of electronics. The only noticeable benefit of balanced connections in a headphone setup would the the extra power. Even then twice the power is only an extra 3dB and quadruple the power is another 6dB. Balanced connections between the amp and dac should not be a priority in a home environment.

What about balanced between amp and headphones?

I may have narrowed my choices down to the NFB-28 and 29.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #1,610 of 2,104
Dec 23, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,614 of 2,104
It's a lot of money. Only natural to hesitate.
wink.gif

Yes, but you were choosing between 2 options, and the manufacturer basically recommended the cheaper option - so it's not a lot of money, it's less money :)

Of course if you were choosing between those 2 options and a 3rd cheaper option, that would be different.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,616 of 2,104
Yes, but you were choosing between 2 options, and the manufacturer basically recommended the cheaper option - so it's not a lot of money, it's less money :)

Of course if you were choosing between those 2 options and a 3rd cheaper option, that would be different.

Until you hand over your money, nothing is settled, not even something as simple as a binary choice. Until that money is gone, it feels like you have infinite possibilities.

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,618 of 2,104
Choosing between the NFB28 & 29:

I don't have balanced cables for my headphones yet, but maybe I will one day. So, if I get a 1/4 to 4pin xlr adapter, would the 28 then sound the same as the 29 (with my single ended headphones)?

And where can I get an adapter to the UK? :)

Dec 24, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,619 of 2,104
According to the Audio-GD site, the NFB29 has as much power SE as the NFB28 has balanced. And it's a lot of power. Am I missing something?

I think the extra power would be getting a balanced cable for his hdxx as nfb-28's SE output is not summed and has half the total power of the balanced out (which is equal in power to nfb-29.

The spec says the output impedance is 2 ohm - is that regardless of whether it's set to high or low gain, as it seems like a lot?

In audio-gd amps high vs low gain is not really a thing, it just changes how many clicks you need to turn to reach an equivalent setting. This leverages all the volume control on the latch relay, which is a very very strong method of attenuation.

But back to Triggaaar i would recommend the NFB-28 for 2 reasons. first it does make a better preamp for monitors (which you want). seconds even if your driving cans with the un-summed single ended output it will be plenty of power plus the option to pick up some flee-bay cables at any time. you will notice Audio-gd owners will recommend their products at every price range against anything else in its class.

Personally i like the 1 box solution for 2, don't think their's any real performance gain and it takes up much more space on your desk. even if you have lots of room and extra money i wouldn't go NFB-1/C2 because you can pick up a used master 11 for not much more.

I'f fed-ex pulls my new NOS 11 out of whatever snow bank they lost it in i'll be selling my NFB-28 (2015) in a week or 2, in case anyone is interested.

Dec 24, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,620 of 2,104
Choosing between the NFB28 & 29:

I don't have balanced cables for my headphones yet, but maybe I will one day. So, if I get a 1/4 to 4pin xlr adapter, would the 28 then sound the same as the 29 (with my single ended headphones)?

And where can I get an adapter to the UK? :)

I assume you mean if you got a 4 pin > 1/4 inch adapter to attach your SE cables to the nfb-28 balanced out. doesn't really work that way. such a device would most likely only connect to half the amps channels just like the SE output. otherwise this adapter would need more equipment to invert one signal and add it to the other. if such a power summing adapter is available i'm sure it would be more money and hassle then just getting cheap cables.

come to think of it using only half a balanced amp my be harmful some of the amps on the market, but im no expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back