Audio-gd NFB-28
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #721 of 2,104
Hey all, I just wanted to pipe in and state for anyone looking at the NFB-28, that it pairs awesome with LCD-3s.  I've tried a lot of gear over the past couple of years (nothing super high end, mind you)

Nothing super high end? So how would you rate the LCD-3 and the BHA-1/PS-1000 , from that perspective? I am curious...

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #722 of 2,104
Nothing super high end? So how would you rate the LCD-3 and the BHA-1/PS-1000 , from that perspective? I am curious...

Ha, good question; I meant more on the DAC/Amp side.  I do consider those headphones high end or "end game."  But I've never had DAC/Amps that I consider "end game."  There are many, many more expensive, higher end options out there and I can't compare my experience to those.  So I was just giving some context on my previous most pleasurable listening experience.  

I love my NFB-28 and I have no intentions of getting anything other than it to handle my DAC/Amp needs.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #723 of 2,104

Ha, good question; I meant more on the DAC/Amp side.  I do consider those headphones high end or "end game."  But I've never had DAC/Amps that I consider "end game."  There are many, many more expensive, higher end options out there and I can't compare my experience to those.  So I was just giving some context on my previous most pleasurable listening experience.  

I love my NFB-28 and I have no intentions of getting anything other than it to handle my DAC/Amp needs.

The price to performance ratio of the Audio GD Products is exceptional, even all the way up to their TOTL stuff.  If you look at the specs between their TOTL models and the NFB-28 there is a difference, but not huge, and it shows in how these sound.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 28, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #724 of 2,104

The price to performance ratio of the Audio GD Products is exceptional, even all the way up to their TOTL stuff.  If you look at the specs between their TOTL models and the NFB-28 there is a difference, but not huge, and it shows in how these sound.

Honestly, IMO the fact that you're in here talking up the NFB-28 says more for it than anything else.  I have to trust that a successful headphone modder knows good sound from bad.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #725 of 2,104

Honestly, IMO the fact that you're in here talking up the NFB-28 says more for it than anything else.  I have to trust that a successful headphone modder knows good sound from bad.

Part of me almost wishes I had kept the NFB-28 instead of splurging on the REF 10.32.  There are differences and I do love the REF 10.32, but there are times I still miss the NFB-28.  it's the best Sabre implementation I've heard to date save for the Auralic Vega which is much much more $, I never got to hear the NFB-27.

I'd like to think I know good sound, but I'm sure some would argue that! 
beyersmile.png

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #726 of 2,104

Part of me almost wishes I had kept the NFB-28 instead of splurging on the REF 10.32.  There are differences and I do love the REF 10.32, but there are times I still miss the NFB-28.  it's the best Sabre implementation I've heard to date save for the Auralic Vega which is much much more $, I never got to hear the NFB-27.

I'd like to think I know good sound, but I'm sure some would argue that! 
beyersmile.png

Can you maybe speak to some of the other Sabre implementations you've heard?  The only one I've had any time with is my friend's Geek Out Signature Edition that he's loaning me.  I'm liking the sound overall (the brighter sound with lower noise floor and more balanced presentation compared to my Wolfson), but I also am hearing some of that graininess in the treble that Purrin complains about.  It's one of those things that once you hear, you can't unhear.

I'm wondering if this shares that weakness, because it's one of the things holding me back from pulling the trigger on the NFB-28.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #727 of 2,104

Can you maybe speak to some of the other Sabre implementations you've heard?  The only one I've had any time with is my friend's Geek Out Signature Edition that he's loaning me.  I'm liking the sound overall (the brighter sound with lower noise floor and more balanced presentation compared to my Wolfson), but I also am hearing some of that graininess in the treble that Purrin complains about.  It's one of those things that once you hear, you can't unhear.

I'm wondering if this shares that weakness, because it's one of the things holding me back from pulling the trigger on the NFB-28.

Well, to be fair most of the other ones I've heard are at meets, so I didn't have super extended listening sessions with them.  But yes, once you hear and compare that "sabre detail" to other amps it does become something you notice.

Compared to the 10.33 which is Wolfson, the NFB is a little smoother and liquid, while still retaining that Sabre separation.  The Wolfson is musical, with more bloom and longer decay.  It does have that slight wooly wolfson thickness that I find very enjoyable.  You really can't go wrong with either chip.  The Sabre always sounds a little more technical in the NFB-28, but the NFB-28 is very very smooth.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #728 of 2,104
I wonder how the Schiit upper offerings compare to any of this?
I've only had the A-gd's Sabre Flagship, the NFB-7 and then the Compass2. I would still say the Sabre in both did 'enhance' any treble glare or harshness if there was any. It gives treble [especially vocals] an uncanny focus that made sibilance really bad with lots of my recordings. Instrumental pieces sounded fabulous though and so did really well-mastered tracks [but these are hardly the majority of my collection].
Granted, the HE-560 is not making for a forgiving headphone, but the issues I had were greatly reduced with my current Burr-Brown based DAC [the things I really liked about the Sabre, like spaciousness and super details were too, of course].
The other part I felt the Sabre 'crippled' a bit the bass. Too tight with very reserved sub-bass [meaning it hit hard not too often] - again, this is much better with the PCM1794 DAC and again, the HE-560 does not emphasize bass, but it doesn't de-emphasize it either.
Just makes me wonder whether the NFB28 is different to the C2/NFB-7 
confused.gif

I do imagine if one owns warm/dark headphones this might be a much, much lesser issue. Same if one listens only to textbook-mastered tracks and classical. My take on the Sabre is that I very much agree with that the Sabre is a detail, resolution, space, air and stage monster, but this does take away from the musical aspects a bit, cripples neutral bass slightly and highlights any flaws there are. I'll look forward to the Gungnir and see how that compares to the NFB-7/PCM1794[Creative X7]

Also, people's sensitivity to this apparently differs... So what might be annoying to me, might be tolerable to you.

Sorry for the long post 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #729 of 2,104

Well, to be fair most of the other ones I've heard are at meets, so I didn't have super extended listening sessions with them.  But yes, once you hear and compare that "sabre detail" to other amps it does become something you notice.

Compared to the 10.33 which is Wolfson, the NFB is a little smoother and liquid, while still retaining that Sabre separation.  The Wolfson is musical, with more bloom and longer decay.  It does have that slight wooly wolfson thickness that I find very enjoyable.  You really can't go wrong with either chip.  The Sabre always sounds a little more technical in the NFB-28, but the NFB-28 is very very smooth.

Yeah, I think right now I am just preferring the more detailed, balanced sound of the Sabre because my headphones are on the darker side (LCD-2).  The Wolfson was great with my bright headphones (Q701, HE-4, etc).  But now I'm of the opinion that a more balanced/neutral DAC is the way to go and later headphone choices will have to stand on their own merits instead of compensating with the source chain.

Also, since I suspect I'll be upgrading to the HE-1000 (if it's anywhere near affordable) or the LCD-X (if not), I want something that will be universal...

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #730 of 2,104
  I wonder how the Schiit upper offerings compare to any of this?
I've only had the A-gd's Sabre Flagship, the NFB-7 and then the Compass2. I would still say the Sabre in both did 'enhance' any treble glare or harshness if there was any. It gives treble [especially vocals] an uncanny focus that made sibilance really bad with lots of my recordings. Instrumental pieces sounded fabulous though and so did really well-mastered tracks [but these are hardly the majority of my collection].
Granted, the HE-560 is not making for a forgiving headphone, but the issues I had were greatly reduced with my current Burr-Brown based DAC [the things I really liked about the Sabre, like spaciousness and super details were too, of course].
The other part I felt the Sabre 'crippled' a bit the bass. Too tight with very reserved sub-bass [meaning it hit hard not too often] - again, this is much better with the PCM1794 DAC and again, the HE-560 does not emphasize bass, but it doesn't de-emphasize it either.
Just makes me wonder whether the NFB28 is different to the C2/NFB-7 
confused.gif

I do imagine if one owns warm headphones this might be a much, much lesser issue. Same if one listens only to textbook-mastered tracks and classical. My take on the Sabre is that I very much agree with that the Sabre is a detail, resolution, space, air and stage monster, but this does take away from the musical aspects a bit, cripples neutral bass slightly and highlights any flaws there are. I'll look forward to the Gungnir and see how that compares to the NFB-7/PCM1794[Creative X7]

Also, people's sensitivity to this apparently differs... So what might be annoying to me, might be tolerable to you.

Sorry for the long post 
biggrin.gif

The HiFiMan planars are pretty treble-happy.  I don't know if I could handle the HE-4 with sabre.  And I recall the HE-560 being on sizzly side so I suspect it's a similar situation...

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #731 of 2,104

The HiFiMan planars are pretty treble-happy.  I don't know if I could handle the HE-4 with sabre.  And I recall the HE-560 being on sizzly side so I suspect it's a similar situation...

The HE-6 were even worse.... 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, because I guess I love that signature a lot [I don't think you can get spacious and airy sound without some serious energy and extension in the treble] I guess I'll be trying to tweak it using the DAC [musical, smooth rather than analytic and detailed] as I pretty much already have a great versatile amp which I don't wanna change for now.
Might be a different story with the HE-1000, though I still found the NFB-7's signature a teeny bit troublesome even with different, warmer headphone.
Anyway, I am glad you know what you want. I certainly will post my findings with the Gungnir, if only to see whether everything I've read about it is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back