Audio-gd NFB-28
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #466 of 2,104
It's weaker and it has lots of similarities with the SA31, like the warmness setting, some internals and chassis.
The NFB29 seems like a single ended SA28 with beefed up single ended use.
I'd kinda ger the 29 if it were released a month ago...

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #467 of 2,104
Very excited with my new toy. I will give some real feedback in the next days but I can say that it was for sure an improvement. The sound signature is more mature and rich compared to the Icon hdp. Plus I don't have any kind of channels imbalance at the lowest volume.
Two questions.
-Is it possible to reduce somehow the intensity of the display? It's really strong
- Due to physical limitations i had to put the NFB-28 in a space where it has "only" 3cm of space from the top. Could you please have a look on the picture and tell me if there are some controindications leaving it like this?

Thanks

I use some tinted sheets that you can get at hobby stores, cut to fit. Depending on the darkness of the tint, you can get it barely visible.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #468 of 2,104
  Nice.

The page states it is based on NFB-27 but compared it to NFB-28 :) Must be an error.

NFB-29 (DSD DXD )(Since 1st Sep. 2014)

The single ended version based on NFB-27

Kingwa said it has the same power and (probably) measurements as the NFB-28 balanced. It could be why he just refers to the NFB-28 for the specs.

C-2 is based on Master 9. That should be very good isn't it?

C-2 Class A  (Release in 1st Sep.)

The single ended design based on Master 9

It should be very good for the price, but don't expect a Master-9 for $450.

Both of then are based on, they are not half of their more expensive counterparts, they are simplified versions.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #469 of 2,104
Good day

I have a problem with my NFB 28. When change a track before its end, with another track. I listen, only on left channel a sort of digital glitch. Same thing if I use the gain low to high and reverse. I send an email to Mr. Kinwa and he wrote this:

Dear Sir,
The click sound is the mute sound.
The NFB28 for the better sound quality, the mute design by the relays, not like other brands applied the logic chips.
So if change the files types, the mute will active and after the music playing it will stop mute.
You can try to take off the headphone, change the music, listen on the NFB28 see if can hear the relays click sound from inside.
Kingwa

...hear the relays click sound from inside ---> no "click" sounds in relays. Is a problem? Not for me sure.

I listen the "Bip" in headphone left and with the monitor left. I have change the channels and the "Bip" is in monitor right side. My PC is ok with LatencyMon software and I do not know what can be.
Who can help me?
Roby

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #470 of 2,104
I have a problem with NFB 28.
Between an audio track and the next, I hear a click digital, only from the left channel audio.
I have the same problem with the "low to high gain and reverse" the remote control.
I wrote a Mr.Kingwa, following his answer ..
It is possible that I have to hear this "digital click" between two audio tracks?

No one has had the same problem?
Thank you, Roby.

Kingwa's reply:

Dear Sir,
The click sound is the mute sound.
The NFB28 for the better sound quality, the mute design by the relays, not like other brands applied the logic chips.
So if change the files types, the mute will active and after the music playing it will stop mute.
You can try to take off the headphone, change the music, listen on the NFB28 see if can hear the relays click sound from inside.
Kingwa

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #471 of 2,104
All I can say is that I hear clicks all over when changing inputs and gain and files sometimes... and on certain volume level changes, usually louder in the left than the right (by coincidence I'm sure). Most 'clicks' are intentional, and as long as it's not detracting from your listening, I think it just means the protection circuits are working as intended.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #472 of 2,104
I thank you for confirmation. I will try to make me a reason for this. This is my second D/A converter. I also have an Apogee Mini DAC with input FW [I can not use because I changed OS], and this has never created a "click". However now my MSP7 have never sounded so good ... good also "click".
Roby

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #473 of 2,104
I have a question. In the case i will use the jumper to have the ''fixed volume'' (using basically as dedicated balanced DAC) will i be able to change the volume when i use as headphone amplifier?

Thanks

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #474 of 2,104
  I have a question. In the case i will use the jumper to have the ''fixed volume'' (using basically as dedicated balanced DAC) will i be able to change the volume when i use as headphone amplifier?

Thanks

Yes, putting in the jumper only disables the volume control in pre-amp/DAC out mode. The volume control still works in headphone mode.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #475 of 2,104
Hello everyone :)

After a lot of searching and doubts and contradictions I decided on this dac for the next step.
What I want to ask is if its headphone amp is good enough to replace my heed canamp which
is currently powering my q701.
It's very tempting to buy an additional balanced cable for the q701 and sell the canamp for
extra money which could go into another headphones... but I have my doubts. So what do you think,
does the nfb-28 function well as a headphone amp?

Cheers,
Ádám

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #476 of 2,104
I am using the NFB-28 and Q701's as I type. Plenty of power, low distortion, and a smooth sound. This amp works well with nearly any headphone on the market, and the DAC really makes the Q's incredible. Using balanced connections is even better, I'm thinking about balance-modding my Q's just for that.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #477 of 2,104
  I am using the NFB-28 and Q701's as I type. Plenty of power, low distortion, and a smooth sound. This amp works well with nearly any headphone on the market, and the DAC really makes the Q's incredible. Using balanced connections is even better, I'm thinking about balance-modding my Q's just for that.

That's good to hear. I'll save a few bucks this way. I'm going to give the canamp a chance, though.
Better make sure before selling. :) I hope we can finish moving and renovating soon, so that I can
focus on buying this dac.

Thanks for your opinion!

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #479 of 2,104
  You could also consider the NFB-29 and do not bother with balanced at all

I checked the nfb-29 and it's a real powerhouse.
However, I'd not mentioned that I also have a pair of prodipe pro 5 v2 active speakers.
They are, as of now, connected to the integrated gigabyte motherboard audio panel
and they do gather lots of noise from there while not giving their best for the same reason.
So I need the xlr output to connect the prodipes. :)

After giving it some more thought it seems I'll be keeping the heed canamp which is
undoubtedly a great match for the q701 and I love what I hear. So the nfb-28 will be used
solely as a dac.

Also, I found out audio-gd is officially present in my country (Hungary), which is a nice surprise!
They even have a link pointing to this forum topic. :) Guess it's worth a shot to speak with them, maybe
try the products before purchasing.

Thanks anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back