Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
May 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #965 of 1,577

Quote:
If cost was not so much of a (practical) constraint with the NFB-3, I'd suggest several modifications to improve overall sonics. Mr Kingwa may well claim that all the sonic goodness we need is offered elsewhere in his range of DACs, albeit at higher pricing. (That may well be the case.)

Suggested modifications and design changes include:
1. Ditch the original RCA chassis connectors and connecting cable from PCB outputs (I've retro-fitted Cardas 23AWG annealed solid silver cable with loose teflon tubing, soldered onto CMC silver-plated RCA chassis connectors - this mod alone improves sound immensely. For example, the so-called "darkness" and "lushness" sonic tendencies are banished forthwith).
2. Where practical insert SANYO (solid) SEPC OS-CON caps in and around digital circuitry, replacing original caps. Otherwise install Panasonic FM, NCC KZH or Rubycon ZL electrolytics as appropriate. For film caps suggest Evox Rifa SMR (PPS) or PMR (KP) for better results.
3. Re-design rectifier function by utilizing best-quality individual FREDs (super fast, soft recovery), replacing original standard bridge rectifier. Also suggest designing-in simple discrete shunt-regulators.
4. Consider a more sophisticated anti-jitter device.
5. Fit a Bybee Music Rail DC power silencer device.

Naturally all these suggested extras will add cost and change the nature of this DAC (for the better IMHO). The NFB-3 is a worthy building-block. Otherwise there would be no point in mentioning any of these mods.     

I would not recommend to do any of the mods as some of the parts and the circuitry are probably well thought out and matched by the designer and the mod may mess up with that. Also if you trust Mr. Kingwa's ability, just going for a higher level model is simpler and easier. For me, the best 'mod' to NFB-3 is to add a Musical Fidelity V-Link before it, and I'm quite happy about the improvement on sound quality.

May 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #966 of 1,577
Was just updated that my unit will likely be shipped on 10th June.

The wait kinda sucks... Doesn't help that I've already waited for nearly half a year before pulling the trigger.
frown.gif

May 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #970 of 1,577
L3000.gif

Quote:
I would not recommend to do any of the mods as some of the parts and the circuitry are probably well thought out and matched by the designer and the mod may mess up with that.

Hey tubesound

If premium replacement-part electrical values are identical to original (budget-constrained) parts one (carefully) replaces, and one has (extensive) past experience in modding DACs and other audio components, there is no harm done, mostly sonic bliss results.

That is one of the real benefits of sharing useful info on such forums. One can end up with quasi-SOTA sound for a fraction of what passes for so-called "high-end". Elitist marketing, fancy sheet metal and grossly-inflated sticker price anybody?

BTW young fella, have you ever held a soldering iron? No? Really? Go on, why not try it? It won't bite you.   :wink:

Here's a link to a brief primer on DAC modding?    http://www.hifizine.com/2010/12/doing-your-own-dac-mods-a-primer/

Of course there'll be many similar resources on-line if you care to look. Get busy! 

May 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #971 of 1,577

Quote:
Paid on the 23rd. Hopefully I'll get an email from them soon.

I got an email from them only AFTER I emailed them first.

In fact, I emailed them right after payment and there wasn't any response. I emailed them again on Wednesday night, asking if they got my payment and they replied on Thursday saying they received it on the 22nd and will be shipping it out on the 10th of June.

I suggest emailing them first, rather than wait.

May 26, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #972 of 1,577

Quote:

I got an email from them only AFTER I emailed them first.

In fact, I emailed them right after payment and there wasn't any response. I emailed them again on Wednesday night, asking if they got my payment and they replied on Thursday saying they received it on the 22nd and will be shipping it out on the 10th of June.

I suggest emailing them first, rather than wait.

I emailed them right after payment. Got a reply the next day confirming that they received it. Sent another email regarding tracking number, then kingwa replied that they will send one to me after they ship the package. No ETA on when they will ship it though.

With a stroke of luck I will find the package at my door after I return from my trip on the 19th of June.

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #975 of 1,577
Quote:
I emailed them right after payment. Got a reply the next day confirming that they received it. Sent another email regarding tracking number, then kingwa replied that they will send one to me after they ship the package. No ETA on when they will ship it though.

With a stroke of luck I will find the package at my door after I return from my trip on the 19th of June.

Enjoy your trip. I see that you have "updated" your signature too. haha.

Let's hope our siggies reflect our setups accurately soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back