Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
May 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #946 of 1,577
From what I've read, the boxes are copper shielding for the ACSS modules.

May 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #948 of 1,577
Hi, first post! I joined just to say thanks to all of you for the advice I found here.

Based on your recommendations I bought a NFB-3 with dir9001 and cannot be happier!

I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch that I connected directly to my pre-amp, and although the functionality of the SB Touch is great, the sound was not so. I am not good with audio descriptions but the sound of the SB is too "metallic" and lacks "body", and I was not enjoying my system (tannoy s10 speakers, nakamichi PA5 - CA5 II)

On the other hand, the sound of the NFB connected to the SB trough coaxial is superb, the sound is much more refined and lush, with no metallic hints. Everybody in my family and my friends preferred by miles the sound of the NFB to the naked SB.

For me, the combination of SB Touch + NFB is extremely attractive and cost effective.

Mauro   

May 21, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #949 of 1,577
^ welcome to head-fi, enjoy your NFB!

May 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #950 of 1,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauroM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not good with audio descriptions but the sound of the SB is too "metallic" and lacks "body", and I was not enjoying my system (tannoy s10 speakers, nakamichi PA5 - CA5 II)

On the other hand, the sound of the NFB connected to the SB trough coaxial is superb, the sound is much more refined and lush, with no metallic hints. 

Mauro   

Interesting. You're the second person I've noticed that has called the NFB3 lush.

In my system (MBP > USB > NFB3 > Sonett > HD600), I find the NFB3 to have a dark presentation. There also seems to be a dip in the lower midrange which obviously helps boost detail resolution surrounding that particular area, although with certain trade offs.

May 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #951 of 1,577
I agree with you the presentation is kind of dark, and the midrange do not overpowers the other frequencies. I was hopping for this kind of sound after years of uninspiring music from my yamaha dvda and squeezebox without a dedicated DAC. Now I can read for hours listening to the music without getting tired, with plenty of detail, precision and warmth. I am happy with the dir9001, I have plenty of warmth as it is.

Has anybody compared the sound of the Sabre32 ES9018 DACs to the Wolfson WM8741? Is it too analytic and dry, but less dark?

May 22, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #952 of 1,577
Being lurking around for a while and finally pulled the trigger for the NFB-2 with the Canare cable today.

I actually got the quote from Edwin on the 18th and it said the estimated delivery date is 25th. Was kinda surprised, but well, let's see what happens.

May 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #955 of 1,577
Thanks buddy. Ordered my NFB-3. Hopefully audio-gd won't delay the shipment of my package like some of the horror stories described here
ksc75smile.gif

May 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #956 of 1,577
Nice.  It's just been 2 weeks and I'm tired of waiting for mine.  I really wish Pacific Valve kept Audio-GD stuff in stock but I can understand given all the customization options and lack of mark up.

May 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #959 of 1,577
Apologies - rather lengthy.

Follow-up on my AUDIO-GD NFB-3, received and on its way to being fully run-in. Good news is it appears Mr Kingwa has stock on hand. Barring nasty Customs' delays in a handful of countries, you should receive your DAC within an acceptable timeframe.

At the outset may I suggest this DAC is affordable, intelligently-designed, well-assembled, versatile, musical and good value, reliability permitting. It should comfortably blow away most integrated DAC/output sections in mid-market disk players. It can compete with many outboard DACs that cost (a whole lot) more.

Cambridge Audio and Rega digital components are just some of the high-profile manufacturers who make use of Wolfson DAC chips, including the NFB-3's WM-8741. I've listened and compared a few of their models over recent years. At one stage the editor of The Absolute Sound even labelled the top Cambridge Audio player "best digital playback this side of US$5,000" (at around US$1,500).

FWIW IMHO JMTCW the NFB-3 blows that Cambridge player away (easily). The NFB-3 possesses oodles more PRaT, dynamics, bass solidity, detail, air, coherence and sheer presence. (BTW I'm connecting the signal using custom 1.5 metre DH Labs SPDIF cable fed from Sony or oPPo Blu Ray disk players, output via Grover's SX ICs into modded Shanling tube headphone amp with modded Fostex T50RP phones, plus alternately through my main audio system.)  

If cost was not so much of a (practical) constraint with the NFB-3, I'd suggest several modifications to improve overall sonics. Mr Kingwa may well claim that all the sonic goodness we need is offered elsewhere in his range of DACs, albeit at higher pricing. (That may well be the case.)

Suggested modifications and design changes include:
1. Ditch the original RCA chassis connectors and connecting cable from PCB outputs (I've retro-fitted Cardas 23AWG annealed solid silver cable with loose teflon tubing, soldered onto CMC silver-plated RCA chassis connectors - this mod alone improves sound immensely. For example, the so-called "darkness" and "lushness" sonic tendencies are banished forthwith).
2. Where practical insert SANYO (solid) SEPC OS-CON caps in and around digital circuitry, replacing original caps. Otherwise install Panasonic FM, NCC KZH or Rubycon ZL electrolytics as appropriate. For film caps suggest Evox Rifa SMR (PPS) or PMR (KP) for better results.
3. Re-design rectifier function by utilizing best-quality individual FREDs (super fast, soft recovery), replacing original standard bridge rectifier. Also suggest designing-in simple discrete shunt-regulators.
4. Consider a more sophisticated anti-jitter device.
5. Fit a Bybee Music Rail DC power silencer device.

Naturally all these suggested extras will add cost and change the nature of this DAC (for the better IMHO). The NFB-3 is a worthy building-block. Otherwise there would be no point in mentioning any of these mods.     

At some time in the future I'd be curious to try Mr Kingwa's implementation of an ESS Sabre ES9018 DAC chip. I have read many mixed reports on-line about that DAC chip's sonic character, as in, some suggest it can be prone to "metallic" and "shrill" artefacts, particularly in the upper mids and lower HF, and requires circuit designers to artificially "massage" these nasties out. It's rumoured that several well-regarded designers have dropped their Sabre projects altogether.

There do exist other fresh 32-bit DAC chip options, not just ESS. One company that always seems to design and produce fine-sounding DACS is the AKM company from Japan. Just wondering if Mr Kingwa has tried one of theirs yet?

Anyway, having spent over 30 years in high-end audio, I've experienced many disappointments in digital audio. I'm pleased to report it appears that distinct progress is now being made. For the humble worker or younger audiophile enjoyable digital has also become reasonably affordable.  :wink:  In conclusion the current AUDIO-GD NFB-3 DAC comes highly recommended and represents impressive value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back