Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
May 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #871 of 1,577
In Holland they add shipping to the price they take tax from, so 131 plus 78.50 in my case. Then they take about 20% plus a 12.50 euro starting fee or how they call it.

May 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #872 of 1,577
ouch

May 4, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #873 of 1,577
Only had 30 minutes with the NFB3 so far and my very early impressions are that the soundstage is great. It sounds very airy, is great with voices and has plenty of bass.
It just is so ear peircingly sharp... Is this the NFB sounds or will this get better with burn in? Any experience?

It came with a power cable, optical, coaxial and usb cable btw

May 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #874 of 1,577
For me, the NFB-3 has benefited from substantial burn-in—also the DI. Since your 339 is also quite new, the combination may be giving you the “sharp” sounds. My recommendation is to give them time.

This “burn-in” phenomenon was something I didn’t initially buy into (there’s a sizable thread about this on another forum here) but I’ve found it pertinent to gear I’ve bought new. (I am hopeful that the latter would be viewed as just an aside from me and wont be considered a subject for further discussion on this thread.).

May 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #875 of 1,577
I would like to say though, that Audio GD burns in their products 100 hours before they ship them. So your NFB 3 was already burned in when you received it
wink.gif

May 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #877 of 1,577
What makes me hesitant to accept the claim of “100 hours of burn-in” is the enormous backlog of orders that Audio-gd was/is struggling to fill. (Just my two-cents and worth, perhaps, even less.
rolleyes.gif
)

May 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #878 of 1,577

Quote:
Only had 30 minutes with the NFB3 so far and my very early impressions are that the soundstage is great. It sounds very airy, is great with voices and has plenty of bass.
It just is so ear peircingly sharp... Is this the NFB sounds or will this get better with burn in? Any experience?

I don't have the NFB3, but the NFB2 and I don't find it sharp, especially ear piercingly sharp.

May 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #879 of 1,577
Quote:

I definitely haven't noticed "sharpness" from my NFB3, I've had it for several months and it doesn't seem to have overly exaggerated highs, even when compared to a source with rolled off treble like the HM-601. I'm not sure what is going on in your system. What source are you coming from? And what is in the rest of your signal chain?

May 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #880 of 1,577
With the LCD-2's there is not any semblance of sharp highs to be found(NFB-2).  Perhaps even too smooth but that is yet to be judged until I can compare with a different dac chip.

It could be a synergy issue with your amp and dac, your headphones being sharp in the high end and not noticing before or not being able to, or just more detailed signal showing the flaws in your songs which most headphones tend to attenuate those flaws.

May 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #881 of 1,577

Quote:
What source are you coming from? And what is in the rest of your signal chain?

I got a pair of DT990 today, same headphones ultrainferno is using.
These are by far the sharpest (not ear piercing though) headphones I've ever used, and they sound quite bright on my Havana as well.
My guess is a good dac (like the NFB) will simply resolve more compared to his old source and probably the real nature of those cans is coming out.
By the way, they don't sound bad at all with baroque music :)

May 5, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #882 of 1,577

Quote:
I got a pair of DT990 today, same headphones ultrainferno is using.
These are by far the sharpest (not ear piercing though) headphones I've ever used, and they sound quite bright on my Havana as well.
My guess is a good dac (like the NFB) will simply resolve more compared to his old source and probably the real nature of those cans is coming out.
By the way, they don't sound bad at all with baroque music :)

After an evening of (extra?) burn in, the highs have already softened. Or I have gotten used to them, that's the other way of looking at it.
The sound is very good overall, what I stated above is most noticable with punkrock (guitars), for all other genres I don't notice it that much.
The NFB is very picky with recordings as well, seems my old DAC didn't reveal this all the time, so with a bit more burn in, good recordings and some more getting used to the new sound, I'm sure I'll love it

But: NFB3+339+HD600: not a fan (yet)!

May 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #883 of 1,577
Ok, have a situation again with Audio GD, and I'm curious on opinions about it.

I ordered the NFB-3 with Audio GD China. Besides that, because ampcity had them in stock, I ordered C-2.1 with ampcity, UK. Also bought an ACSS cable there.

When both arrived, I discovered that the ACSS connection was different and the ACSS cable I paid for was not fitting. I couldn't know this, because never ever was I told or could I see a picture that the ACSS chassis was suddenly changed.

So I mailed Kingwa, who simply didn't respond to my email. After that, I mailed Edwin, who promised to send me a fitting ACSS. Now I get an email from him that they won't send it for free because I didn't order an ACSS.

So now, I'm getting pretty pissed about this and could need some opinions about the justice of this:

- Yes I bought the ACSS cable with ampcity, but no one ever told me it wouldn't fit the NFB-3
- No one told me or no info was avalaible about the chassis of the NFB-3 suddenly being changed
- I paid money for my ACSS cable, which they can get back, doesn't matter which party, as long as THEY pay for shipment
- I wouldn't know how ampcity could know about the changing ACSS chassis, which they didn't stock at that moment; they were also waiting for those things

So once more, Audio GD, we know you read this, please be responsible! If you suddenly change ACSS chassis and forget to communicate it, at least make up for it.

May 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #884 of 1,577
lol you ask for problems dude :)
your service is splitted in 2 parts
the cable you order at amp city is nothing wrong with it so they don't accept a return ??
audio gd can't ship the free one becouse you didn't order the cable from them :p

May 5, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #885 of 1,577

Quote:
lol you ask for problems dude :)
your service is splitted in 2 parts
the cable you order at amp city is nothing wrong with it so they don't accept a return ??
audio gd can't ship the free one becouse you didn't order the cable from them :p

Both me and ampcity couldn't know about a sudden change in chassis type, that's unexpected and the reason why things go wrong. I can absolutely return the ACSS to ampcity, but I won't pay for shipping. Again, this is not my fault. There is only 1 reason for this problem: an unexpected, uncommunicated change in ACSS chassis.

Offcourse there's also another sollution: sending me a new NFB-3 with the ACSS chassis which was actually on the website, the one I chose to buy, and pay for the shipping costs involved with sending this NFB-3 back. A custom cable is cheaper and easier....:)

Anyway, I bought 2 things with the same ACSS connection and didn't get that delivered. Any sollution does not deserves to be at my cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back