Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Nov 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #211 of 1,577

Quote:
Well... the Oppo is probably going to be too big for me though this isn't most important. Looks like there is going to be a looooot of research to be done.
confused.gif

uhhh sorry was doing too many things at one time. I meant the audio GD dac, not an oppo player, although it would be quite versatile in its own right.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #212 of 1,577
All right that makes more sense.:wink: I wondered why did you come out with the oppo...

As for the Audio-GD DACs - I have to say I am a little bit confused. The NFB-11 seems to be incredible bang for a buck and I predict it will be relatively easy to sell it in few months on the FS forums. On the other hand I would like to buy a good source, which I would not have to sell/upgrade for quite a long time. Now, the Audio-GD website suggests the NFB-11 is more revealing than the other options but would it be actually more detailed? No idea. It is a great choice in its class but the NFB-3 should be a completely different class since it is more expensive, does not include AMP, and is not limited by the size of the chasis. But I think it would be harder to sell it if I find it to be than what I expected. Hard choice...

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #213 of 1,577
I have a question regarding the USB feature. Is there supposed to be a little lag when changing songs when using USB? When i use Toslink I don't get this problem; the songs change instantaneously. But with USB there seems to be a little lag between song changes. As my first USB DAC I'm not sure if this is normal or not, so if any of you guys could provide input that'd be awesome.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #214 of 1,577
I have that issue on my DAC19-DSP using the same tenor chip for USB.  I don't have that issue with the Icon Mobile, so it isn't with every USB audio device or DAC.

I don't really use the USB input so I haven't played with any settings to see if it can be fixed.  I wouldn't be too suprised if it was a result of buffer settings in your playback software.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #219 of 1,577
Hi guys, I have a question about the ACSS/RCA switch. I don't have a Audio-GD amp so I kept the switch on RCA since I started using my NFB3, but I accidentally flipped the switch to ACSS while listening to music and still got a signal. I would assume since I don't have cables in the output, that nothing would come out, but everything worked normally. 

Anyone care to clarify what's actually happening as I'm kinda curious now

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #221 of 1,577

Quote:
Hi guys, I have a question about the ACSS/RCA switch. I don't have a Audio-GD amp so I kept the switch on RCA since I started using my NFB3, but I accidentally flipped the switch to ACSS while listening to music and still got a signal. I would assume since I don't have cables in the output, that nothing would come out, but everything worked normally. 

Anyone care to clarify what's actually happening as I'm kinda curious now

not sure but Kingwa says most of his stuff runs in ACSS signal I think when you input through RCA its the same as ACSS=one path but not the other way around. So RCA and ACSS connections goes the ACSS way but connecting to ACSS input the RCA switch will be silent

if that makes any sense, sorry if I confused you

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #222 of 1,577

Quote:
DSP-1 wasn't OK, poorly trimmed lead on a cap, pierced the film cap below it, which caused the optical and coax input to cease to function.  Kingwa spotted it on one of the images I sent him.

On the topic of the NFB-2 and NFB-3, I wish I could get some more of his stuff to try out, the NFB-2 would also be nice to have.

The fix for this issue is really easy. You don't have to pull the pcb to swap out the cap (or caps) just make sure the replacement part is the same as the other cap or pull both .1uf Solens for some thing like Vishay Roderstein MKP 1837 .1uf 160V poly film box caps. I have a spare set of solens if you need them for the repair.

Peete.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #223 of 1,577
I trimmed the lead and put some more plastic on the solen capacitor and that fixed it as per Kingwa's suggestion.  Its working just fine now so I can't be bothered to swap out a capacitor when it is working fine.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #224 of 1,577
That reminded me...

Peete - you were (as always) right: I've swapped 8x 100uF Novers on DSP-1 with same value Nichicon Muses, bypassed them with 68nF 1837 polyprops. And, yes... I've also swapped 4x 75Ω Dale resistors with Caddock MK-132's of the same resistance (matched them manually as close as possible)... I consider this a definite improvement on already excellent DSP-1 in it's V5 version.

Amazing. Especially considering that I have not touched (yet) "DSP-1 underboard" where DIR9001 and SPDIF line drivers are located: I expect that 1% polyprops instead of 5-10% film caps there along with same "Caddock treatment" would also yield something more - at least PLL improvement.

Cheers

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #225 of 1,577
I finally revieved my NFB-3 (ordered on 26.10.) . :) Wow what a difference comparing with Club3D Agrippa (Auzentech X-plosion) with LME49720HA opamp. Everything is much more natural, music is more transparent, more air between instruments, bass is really good, clear and snappy. :) Very satisfied so far. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back