Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Nov 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #196 of 1,577
I have emailed them, I just want to see if there is something physically different with my new DSP-1 as my previous one is still in a box on its way to China.  I will expect any resolution to my problem to come from Audio-GD, but I can't find a picture to see if the physical appearance is correct.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #197 of 1,577

Quote:
HeatFan12, could you take a look inside your DAC-19 and tell me if your DSP-1 has any pins on the row that is closer to the front of the unit that aren't in a socket?  I just got my upgraded DSP-1 and I no longer have coax or optical working, but I have pins that don't have a socket to go into.  I am not sure if I was shipped a DSP-1 that was meant for a balanced unit.  I am also waiting to hear back from Audio-GD to see what happened, but I would like a known working unit to be able to compare to if possible.  Thanks.

Are you talking about the jumpers?  Because the DIP switches have now been replaced with jumpers.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #198 of 1,577
I already had jumpers on the DSP that I previously had.  What I am talking about are the pins on the bottom of the DSP-1 PCB that are used to interconnect it to the main PCB of the DAC-19.

If you look at the picture below from the Audio-GD website, I have two pins, one in each row on the set closer to the front, that are hanging off to the right that have no socket to connect to.  What I want to know is if those pins are normally there on a DSP-1 for a DAC-19.

The weird part is that USB input works, but only USB input.

Hopefully Audio-GD has a solution for me, or knows what could cause this.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #201 of 1,577
Hmm... Your DSP-1 looks about OK (13 double pins on both connectors). It also sits in the right position according to screws in the picture. But I can also count only 12 double sockets from A-GD's DAC-19DSP main board picture on one side (from your picture), and even less sockets (11) on other side. Since f.e. RE-1 has 13/12 DSP-1 double sockets on digital board and RE-7 has 13/13, this leads me to think that not all pins/sockets are being used on all DACs which further imply your "too many pins problem" is not a problem at all.

Seems like a problem might be your new DSP-1 or something was blown/disconnected during DSP-1 swap.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #202 of 1,577
I highly doubt that I blew something during the swap, since I did it on an ESD mat while wearing a wristband, and proper ground was in place to the earth ground at the time.  And the really weird thing is that USB input works just fine.  Hopefully Kingwa will get back to me soon, I just wanted a picture from a working unit to see what the difference was.

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #203 of 1,577
Just got my NFB-3 today, and set it up immediately with my PC and Valhalla.

As my first standalone DAC, I can't offer too much input as to how much better it sounds, but there is definitely an improvement from all the other sources I have used (X-Fi, PS3, iTouch, Fuze)
One thing I noticed immediately though was greater transparency and a wider soundstage. Definitely satisfied with this purchase.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #204 of 1,577
DSP-1 wasn't OK, poorly trimmed lead on a cap, pierced the film cap below it, which caused the optical and coax input to cease to function.  Kingwa spotted it on one of the images I sent him.

On the topic of the NFB-2 and NFB-3, I wish I could get some more of his stuff to try out, the NFB-2 would also be nice to have.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #205 of 1,577
How can that happen, after a 100hours burn in and checkin 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #206 of 1,577
I have just noticed someone mentioning CA DacMagic in this thread. Since the NFB-3 and DM are on my Xmas shoppinglist I would appreciate any sort of information how both units compare. I am mostly looking for deailed and rather analytical DAC that would compliment my Millett MiniMAX and HD600 which tend to be too smooth at times. Any suggestions? Cheers!

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #207 of 1,577

Quote:
I have just noticed someone mentioning CA DacMagic in this thread. Since the NFB-3 and DM are on my Xmas shoppinglist I would appreciate any sort of information how both units compare. I am mostly looking for deailed and rather analytical DAC that would compliment my Millett MiniMAX and HD600 which tend to be too smooth at times. Any suggestions? Cheers!

FWIW I am pretty sure the HD 600 is "smoothed" due to having slow transients. Not to say it is a bad headphone, but that you can only do so much in terms of matching components...

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #208 of 1,577
@sokolov91 - yeah but more analitical/revealing/detailed/neutral source would be good for me anyway. Plus I wasn't precise enough. I don't really want to make my HD600 sound more analitical than they are (it suits me most of the time) it's just that I would not want to pair them with something warmish to add up to this overall smoothness.:wink: I will buy more analitical and detailed cans to compliment HD600 anyway but if I make them smoother than they are then they might get no use anymore.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #209 of 1,577

Quote:
@sokolov91 - yeah but more analitical/revealing/detailed/neutral source would be good for me anyway. Plus I wasn't precise enough. I don't really want to make my HD600 sound more analitical than they are (it suits me most of the time) it's just that I would not want to pair them with something warmish to add up to this overall smoothness.:wink: I will buy more analitical and detailed cans to compliment HD600 anyway but if I make them smoother than they are then they might get no use anymore.

KK well its good that you know you can only take the HD 600 so far, even though they are truly excellent. But yeah, bad "synergy" is bad synergy nonetheless.

I would say it comes down to price/performance in your eyes really. Either choice would probably be good, although I would vouch for the oppo probably being better bang/buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back