Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #631 of 961
Due to MS still not providing high-res audio support in Windows, chipset makers have to provide their own drivers, which means potential issues. Every single high-res USB audio chipset out there has had customers who have had problems.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #634 of 961
  This is still an issue? Damn...
I thought I finally found the right device.

That is an issue for their DSD capable DAC's like NFB-11 and above, NFB-15 is not DSD capable and it is not affected by this.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #635 of 961
I don't have that isuue at all, and mine is the post Aug 2014 version.

That is an issue for their DSD capable DAC's like NFB-11 and above, NFB-15 is not DSD capable and it is not affected by this.

Thank you guys. Considering the discontinuation of the NFB-15 to be imminent, I shall not hesitate too long.

Is there anything I should know before I definitely go for it?

My current setup is as follows:
  1. PC USB > FiiO E09k+E17 > DT880. Source are FLAC/ALAC files played in foobar with 16-24 bits and 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96kHz. Very rarely 192kHz. Movies, Anime etc. with multichannel DTS(-HD), FLAC audio etc, are down sampled by my codecs.
  2. PS4/PS3 optical > optical switch (mechanical) > FiiO E09k+E17 > DT880

Can you folks recommend a specific retailer? I'm from germany so my best option would be a shop within the EU to avoid customs duties and other hassles. I'd like to order from audio-gd.hu but they don't seem to have an online shop as I can't find any options to place an order. Not to mention terms of service, payment and shipping conditions...

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #636 of 961

Thank you guys. Considering the discontinuation of the NFB-15 to be imminent, I shall not hesitate too long.

1. PC USB > FiiO E09k+E17 > DT880. Source are FLAC/ALAC files played in foobar with 16-24 bits and 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96kHz. Very rarely 192kHz. Movies, Anime etc. with multichannel DTS(-HD), FLAC audio etc, are down sampled by my codecs.

Can you folks recommend a specific retailer? I'm from germany so my best option would be a shop within the EU to avoid customs duties and other hassles. I'd like to order from audio-gd.hu but they don't seem to have an online shop as I can't find any options to place an order. Not to mention terms of service, payment and shipping conditions...

Look on the audio-gd website there is a French reseller, www.audiophonics.fr . I bought mine from there, delivered to UK just fine

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #637 of 961
@Zack117

You order by contacting them. I used the contact information found at audio-gd.com. They send you the estimated cost for the unit and shipping. If you go ahead with it, you'll pay them and then receive a confirmation. 
On the Audio-gd.com it has a list of shipping options for each product as well as it's cost to ship to different locations. 

They are flexible on setting a "value" to help you minimize import tax. Mine was shipped by TNT and arrived within 4 days of ordering to the USA. I didn't pay any import taxes because the value was set to less than $200. Here, that is the cutoff to avoid fees. 

You use a pretty similar setup to mine. PC -> foobar2k. I also have a PS3, though I didn't bother hooking the two up together. 
I had no issues with the usb drivers or anything else. It was very simple and streamline. I use it for music, gaming, anime and movies. Sounds fantastic for all of those purposes. Occasionally, I'll switch out to my DSS if I feel that I need better positioning for competitive play. 

Coming from a Magni/Modi (original) stack, I have zero regrets. It's a fantastic unit that does almost everything I want. Aside form not having a remote volume function, it is fantastic. I knew that I could have stepped up and pick up another unit with one, but this price/performance felt like a better choice for me. 
Side note: Mine came with the 35W transformer option as a free upgrade. I did opt in for the TCXO upgrade as well. Does it matter? No idea without another unit to compare to, but $20 to simply forget about it not being the best version of its self was easy to justify even just for resell value. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  

edited for grammar and spelling

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #640 of 961
Anyone with experience to compare nfb15 with project ember amp? Please share your thoughts. Thx.

There are probably too many variables there too really answer that question. For instance, the ember using the 15's DAC or some other one? What tube(s)? What headphone? Etc. So whatever answer you get will be a very narrow one.

I own the 15 and have listened to the ember a few times, but unfortunately never with a side by side comparison. I like the ember and am thinking of building one, but the tube and other variables make them hard to directly compare.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #641 of 961

If you order from Audio-gd pick DHL, because with TNT I've paid 60€ import taxes in Germany and 30€ was just the TNT tax or what M-83 suggested, check www.audiophonics.fr.

Anyone with experience to compare nfb15 with project ember amp? Please share your thoughts. Thx.

I will have Ember in couple of weeks, but I've sold my NFB-15 already. On the other hand I've compared NFB-15 with my Polaris which has the same output stage as the Ember.
IMO Polaris paired even with cheap HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC is much better on every front, but the Polaris is just an amp and it cost as much as the NFB-15 combo and you'll need to get a DAC for it.
Can't wait to hear the tube sound of Ember.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #642 of 961

If you order from Audio-gd pick DHL, because with TNT I've paid 60€ import taxes in Germany and 30€ was just the TNT tax or what M-83 suggested, check www.audiophonics.fr.

I will have Ember in couple of weeks, but I've sold my NFB-15 already. On the other hand I've compared NFB-15 with my Polaris which has the same output stage as the Ember.
IMO Polaris paired even with cheap HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC is much better on every front, but the Polaris is just an amp and it cost as much as the NFB-15 combo and you'll need to get a DAC for it.
Can't wait to hear the tube sound of Ember.

Great thx. I'd use the dac in fiio x5 initially if I get an ember. I'm interested in tube rolling.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #643 of 961
  Great thx. I'd use the dac in fiio x5 initially if I get an ember. I'm interested in tube rolling.

As far as I know X5 has good neutral DAC, so it will be good start with Ember.
I'm sure in the Ember tread there are a lot of suggestions for tubes. Also Jeremy from Garage1217 sells tubes and he is very helpful and can give you suggestions for best matches.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #644 of 961
  Due to MS still not providing high-res audio support in Windows, chipset makers have to provide their own drivers, which means potential issues. Every single high-res USB audio chipset out there has had customers who have had problems.

That is why I think more people should write in this tread and let's hope that our voices will be heard.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-support-for-usb-audio-20/0d633b9f-3193-4c63-8654-fb10b3614a04?page=1&tm=1423923078171

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #645 of 961
Wow, I did not expect so many replies. Thanks!
Quote:
  Look on the audio-gd website there is a French reseller, www.audiophonics.fr . I bought mine from there, delivered to UK just fine

Nice, I think that would be the most convenient option for me. They are offering TNT and Colissimo Suivi as shipping options. Considering Colissimo to be just half of the price (13€) from TNT, I think I'd go for that one. But I wonder how the price difference justifies. Which one did you use?

@Zack117

You order by contacting them. I used the contact information found at audio-gd.com. They send you the estimated cost for the unit and shipping. If you go ahead with it, you'll pay them and then receive a confirmation. 
On the Audio-gd.com it has a list of shipping options for each product as well as it's cost to ship to different locations. 

They are flexible on setting a "value" to help you minimize import tax. Mine was shipped by TNT and arrived within 4 days of ordering to the USA. I didn't pay any import taxes because the value was set to less than $200. Here, that is the cutoff to avoid fees. 

You use a pretty similar setup to mine. PC -> foobar2k. I also have a PS3, though I didn't bother hooking the two up together. 
I had no issues with the usb drivers or anything else. It was very simple and streamline. I use it for music, gaming, anime and movies. Sounds fantastic for all of those purposes. Occasionally, I'll switch out to my DSS if I feel that I need better positioning for competitive play. 

Coming from a Magni/Modi (original) stack, I have zero regrets. It's a fantastic unit that does almost everything I want. Aside form not having a remote volume function, it is fantastic. I knew that I could have stepped up and pick up another unit with one, but this price/performance felt like a better choice for me. 
Side note: Mine came with the 35W transformer option as a free upgrade. I did opt in for the TCXO upgrade as well. Does it matter? No idea without another unit to compare to, but $20 to simply forget about it not being the best version of its self was easy to justify even just for resell value. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  

edited for grammar and spelling

Thanks a lot for the detailed insight. I was referring to the hungarian website: www.audio-gd.hu
I assume they do ship out of Hungary so I thought it could be an alternative to audio-gd.COM

Good to know. I've already figured the import taxes to be that high. Any reason why you did not order from www.audiophonics.fr ?

Estimated shipment time on www.audiophonics.fr for the NFB-15 says +30 days... damn. What the hell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back