Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #558 of 961
I paid them but no response? How long after paying do they ship and give you tracking?

Paid Tues night, got response Wed afternoon.. Friday for tracking.. Delivered Monday.

DHL is pretty quick. Stuff from the US is always slower to Canada for me.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #559 of 961
  It actually arrived today! But unfortunately getting this error when trying to install USB drivers on Windows 8.1

Anyone else have this issue? 

The solution to my problem was running the installer from the *******ed C:\ - guess i didnt need to spend 3hrs reintstalling Windows 8. 

Still having a hell of a time getting this to work...Installed the Drivers and VIA ASIO and Foobar, installed ASIO support.  I cannot get any sound to come out of any headphone conneted to the NFB-15. 

Tried 2 different headphones, 2 different usb cables and different ports. 

Really starting to regret getting this. 

Anyone have any ideas? Ill be bringing it to work to test on my laptop. 

Right now the amp is set to "Fixed" "Low Gain" and "USB" 

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #560 of 961
The solution to my problem was running the installer from the *******ed C:\ - guess i didnt need to spend 3hrs reintstalling Windows 8. 

Still having a hell of a time getting this to work...Installed the Drivers and VIA ASIO and Foobar, installed ASIO support.  I cannot get any sound to come out of any headphone conneted to the NFB-15. 

Tried 2 different headphones, 2 different usb cables and different ports. 

Really starting to regret getting this. 

Anyone have any ideas? Ill be bringing it to work to test on my laptop. 

Right now the amp is set to "Fixed" "Low Gain" and "USB" 

Try setting it to headphone->low gain->usb and test it via direct sound first

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #561 of 961
Try setting it to headphone->low gain->usb and test it via direct sound first

Guess its getting late, coiuldve sworn i tried HP - but that did it thanks!

EDIT: Had a chance to briefly listen to it - but one thing that struck me was how quiet it is, even in high gain.  With FLACs and 320kb mp3s, on songs that i am very familiar with the volume knob was between 12-130 to get the loudness i wanted.  I thought it would blow my ears out at 11 oclock. 

This is with the HE-400i. 

Also noticed the bass didnt have the impact i was hoping for, but then again my Aune T1 with 6922 tube may have been coloring it more than i thought.  Really wish i still had it to compare. 

Where is the knob for everyone elses listening? Using my phone (LGG3) and pink noise from http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_highdefinitionaudio.php - at around 1230-1 the measured pressure using the Sound Meter app is only about 70-73db.  

Anyone go higher than 2 oclock on the knob on high quality records? 

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #562 of 961
for most music via spotify or foobar, i generally have my volume dial around 8-9 oclock. Closer to 10 oclock for a lot of classical though i seem to listen at much lower volumes than anyone else who listens to my set up. My headphones are he500s which are just very slightly less sensitive than your he400is. This is on low gain by the way, even my higher volume listening mates never crank it over 12 oclock, though my drummer flatmate prefers listening to them on high gain around 10-11 oclock but pretty sure his hearing is a bit damaged. Its a very powerful amp that goes very loud, i have no idea why it is so quiet for you.....

did you try restarting the computer with nfb15 switched on after all the drivers were installed?

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #563 of 961
I think since my Aune T1 was 1000mW@32Ohm, i usually had it around 12-130 on the dial - i had it in my head that the NFB would hit the same type of volume at around 9-10, kinda surprised that it didnt. 

But its been a week and a half since ive had it so my memory could be fuzzy on how loud i actually had it. 

The first couple songs i played was a couple tracks from the Tron: Legacy soundtrack "Recognizer" - and since its a beautifully mastered album, it isnt nearly as loud as other more modern songs.  And i think i played some classical after. 

Right now im listening to some Spotify Premium - and the volume pot is at about 1030 and pretty good loudness. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #564 of 961
Most amps will swing enough voltage to make your ears bleed, even a fiio e10k will drive my he500s to instant ear drum exploding volume levels. The audio gd current gain implementation of the volume knob pushes a lot more current (mw) as you increase the volume which is one of the main reasons why theyre pretty ideal for planars. Its also why imo the people who only go on manufacturer specs and maths and say an O2 is all you need even for planars aka enough volume is all that matters, they dont know what theyre talking about first hand.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #566 of 961
You could play around with the filters, but changes will be subtle.

If you really want brighter, you're actually wanting the NFB-11 (Sabre based instead of Wolfson)

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #569 of 961
How would you change filters on the nfb15? I see no option to do this via hardware or software...

With the current iteration of the NFB-15 changing the filter settings involves removing the cover and thereby voiding the warranty. Doing so to make what is a very minor (and some might say inaudible) change isn't worth it IMO, but YMMV.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #570 of 961

With the current iteration of the NFB-15 changing the filter settings involves removing the cover and thereby voiding the warranty. Doing so to make what is a very minor (and some might say inaudible) change isn't worth it IMO, but YMMV.

Audio gd had been clear in that opening the case does not void the warranty - you may confirm with them.
The effect of filter changing was indeed very subtle to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back