Audio-gd NFB-12 vs. FUN: the SACD conundrum
Dec 20, 2010 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gunkie2k

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Noob in the forum, first post - be gentle!  I am buying my first DAC+headphone amp and would really like to get a NFB-12.  Problem is the NFB-12 doesn't have analogue inputs to listen to SACD in 2.0.   Or should I not worry about that and just listen to the CD layer using the NFB-12 DACs?  If I get the FUN it solves that problem... yet I'm still hankerin' for the NFB-12!

FUN
pro:  analogue inputs, multiple digital inputs
con: single DAC

NFB-12
pro:  dual DAC, digital inputs, better guts
con: only has digital inputs.

Am I correct in my assessment?  Am I missing something vital here? 

I'm planning to get either Sennheiser HD600 or 650's or Audeze lcd-2 cans, and I currently use Monster Miles Davis Tributes.  I listen equally to classical, jazz, and classic rock.

Thanks in advance for any advice people have... including any main headphone recommendations in the $300-1000 range for my listening tastes.

g2k

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 10
I would go for the HD600 with your genres. It has already been determined that that the FUN and NFB12 provide the same sound quality, but with the FUN you have the ability to alter the sound and extra connectivity. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:

Noob in the forum, first post - be gentle!  I am buying my first DAC+headphone amp and would really like to get a NFB-12.  Problem is the NFB-12 doesn't have analogue inputs to listen to SACD in 2.0.   Or should I not worry about that and just listen to the CD layer using the NFB-12 DACs?  If I get the FUN it solves that problem... yet I'm still hankerin' for the NFB-12!

DACs (short for Digital-Analog converter) accept digital input only. You cannot (typically) output hi-res digital SP/DIF from a SACD player. If SACDs are important to you I would upgrade your SACD player and get a separate headphone amp.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Right, SACDs use the DSD format, and there is no DSD digital I/O for the common man.
Some SACDplayers have a SPDIF output, which means that they convert DSD into SPDIF... But you're not listening a SACD anymore.

So you need an amp with analog inputs to listen to your SACDs.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks, guys, for all your input.

I ordered a FUN version A (WM8741 and OPA-Earth, SPDIF upgraded to WM8805).  It'll handle my multiple requirements (analogue ins for SACD; SPDIF+USB for CD, 24/96 downloads, etc.) for the time being. 

I ended up getting the HD-650s at the Audio Lab in Harvard Square after A/B-ing them with the 600's for about an hour.  (I'm always happy when I can buy from this place, truly one of those few brick and mortar specialty-store good guys that are still in business).  Pretty sweet phones, and I'm letting them burn in a bit.  Can't wait to pair them with the FUN!

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Buy a subscription to the SACD-LAB - this is the best professional digital conversion multichannel SACD discs in DVD-Audio format. Then on  COAXIAL through the ASUS Xonar Essence ST (STX) (or better soundcard) in the mode of ASIO (look foobar 2000) transmit the PCM signal to your DAC. It is better audio quality on the PC - it is the opinion of many people.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for all your input.

I ordered a FUN version A (WM8741 and OPA-Earth, SPDIF upgraded to WM8805).  It'll handle my multiple requirements (analogue ins for SACD; SPDIF+USB for CD, 24/96 downloads, etc.) for the time being. 

I ended up getting the HD-650s at the Audio Lab in Harvard Square after A/B-ing them with the 600's for about an hour.  (I'm always happy when I can buy from this place, truly one of those few brick and mortar specialty-store good guys that are still in business).  Pretty sweet phones, and I'm letting them burn in a bit.  Can't wait to pair them with the FUN!

You should have ordered Moon as well. Earth has great transparency but Moon gives the HD650 a bit of zest. The ability to install these discrete hdams is the Fun's best feature imo.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Re: SACD-lab -- is that legal?

I've never used them, so I can't comment whether they are bit-for-bit hi-rez clones.  However, I'd say these releases are *borderline* legal, as most (almost all, actually) of the titles they offer are long out of print on SACD and DVD-A and SACD-lab is the *only* way to get them without paying (in many cases) ridiculously high prices on eBay or Amazon marketplace. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
You should have ordered Moon as well. Earth has great transparency but Moon gives the HD650 a bit of zest. The ability to install these discrete hdams is the Fun's best feature imo.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I listen with a stupid smile on my face to the Earth module (MAN, does this little FUN amp/dac sound GREAT).  I'll probably get the Moon and Sun modules for kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back