Audio-GD NFB-11
Apr 26, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #887 of 987

Quote:
Too good for the price?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same reason it was discontinued before. Too problematic/too many user complaints, lackluster local feeling about the product, and most importantly they probably want to consolidate all their equipment to the same WM8741 chips rather than order another batch of sabre32 DA chips, it will raise their profit margins if they stick with one DA chip.

I place my bets on it having to do with Audio-gd simply having too many products right now and unable to hold volume on the ones high in demand, with too many products that are too similar (ie: nfb-12 vs nfb-11) but too different (nfb-11 needing different chassis than nfb-12, etc)

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #888 of 987
Had a recent email exchange with Edwin regarding the matter. Its not really discontinued, they are just waiting for the the feedbacks of those who have it already. They removed the listing of the NFB11 to stop from orders coming in temporarily.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #890 of 987

I call it promoting bs. Sorry, but this just looks like bad business to me. The same old story about dac beeing improved - ohh so impressive now -  with valves and fast rectifiers. So predictable. zzzzzz

Quote:
 Please consider my small contribution to the thread about NFB-11. I value everyone's opinion and please take my post as just another person's view.

http://www.diysoundlab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=61

Thank you and have a great day!

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #891 of 987
It is pretty rude reply - that is how you treat people on head-fi? I don't sell any DACs or other products to promote and can't help if original NFB-11 is a piece of junk - I wasted my money on it and wanted to share my opinion. Instead of returning product I actually did something with it. Not improving, but completely rebuilding. Thank you and sorry to interrupt your party here...

Have a great day.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #892 of 987
If you take a $280 unit and add $1000 - $2000+ of parts, I would assume it would sound much better.  The trick is doing it for $280.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #894 of 987

Quote:
If you take a $280 unit and add $1000 - $2000+ of parts, I would assume it would sound much better.  The trick is doing it for $280.

I don't believe I went over $200 in additional parts for this (minus enclosure that was already available). ES9018 itself is $50 chip, so I agree - building something good for $280 and having to pay employees, PCB house etc. is an achievement. But still - please read my article carefully, some key points of under-performance could have been avoided and sound could have been much better. Point taken. But please consider my point - with NFB-11 exercise I learned that really good equipment can be made on budget and doesn't need to cost $1000 - $2000. I just want to spark some more DIY movement so more people do their research and build something themselves.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #895 of 987
I'd like to thank you tarsik for lifting the curtain and revealing to me what is real.  I've been redirected to your site so many times researching matters that pertain to audio that your opinion cannot be slighted in any way no how , not by me.  I first purchased the nfb12 , then the nfb11 with ver. A digital interface (cables too) in pursuit of a sound-stage that might engage me , no deal.

Time to count my losses in these uncertain economic times, and move on...

Quote:

I don't believe I went over $200 in additional parts for this (minus enclosure that was already available). ES9018 itself is $50 chip, so I agree - building something good for $280 and having to pay employees, PCB house etc. is an achievement. But still - please read my article carefully, some key points of under-performance could have been avoided and sound could have been much better. Point taken. But please consider my point - with NFB-11 exercise I learned that really good equipment can be made on budget and doesn't need to cost $1000 - $2000. I just want to spark some more DIY movement so more people do their research and build something themselves.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #896 of 987

Quote:

read the post, I but didn't see any mention of prices.  I followed your link to the LAMPIZATOR and assumed that it might be somewhat similar, and saw it ranged from $1500-$4000+. 

I agree, if it can be seriously upgraded for $200, that would be quite an exciting prospect. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #897 of 987

Quote:
 read the post, I but didn't see any mention of prices.  I followed your link to the LAMPIZATOR and assumed that it might be somewhat similar, and saw it ranged from $1500-$4000+. 

I agree, if it can be seriously upgraded for $200, that would be quite an exciting prospect. 

Sorry for confusion, I'm not Lampizator. I'm lucky to know him personally and we share ideas, some views on equipment and passion to do things that bring joy.

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #898 of 987
I mistook your identity too , But no matter who your are , it takes some balls to join a community that is known to really love thier headphones and dis one of it's sponsor's. You walked right up to a Hornet's nest and smacked it !  I got to admire that , I just hope you survive somehow , your tact needs some polishing but your knowledge is keen.  I'd say your a keeper.

Quote:

Sorry for confusion, I'm not Lampizator.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #899 of 987

Thanks for your post tarsik. As Incredible as your Mods are.. sadly they are waay beyond my skill level, as I just started soldering on interconnects.
If I had the skills, I'd do the Mods in a heart-beat!

Quote:

@acenes: "I first purchased the nfb12 , then the nfb11 with ver. A digital interface (cables too) in pursuit of a sound-stage that might engage me , no deal. "

Did you try connecting from PC/Source to your DI ver.A via COAX?  I found it to be a rather noticable sonic upgrade from any other connection to the NFB-11.
Along with MediaMonkey and adionSoft WASAPI combo, I thankfully get the engaging/soundstage/ live "wow" performances from my NFB-11/DI ver.A 

Obviously not as "Astounding" as tarsik's must sound.... but definately muuch better sounding than a "lone NFB-11", ver.A COAX-in slaughters both USB inputs.

I'd be quite puzzled if you didn't hear a noticeable sonic improvement using COAX to DI, I'm using a regulated adapter to power it in that mode... never tried USB power.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #900 of 987

Quote:
 Please consider my small contribution to the thread about NFB-11. I value everyone's opinion and please take my post as just another person's view.

http://www.diysoundlab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=61

Thank you and have a great day!

Interesting take on the Zero....the reason why I went with the (K42 series) PIOs was to mitigate the hyper real representation that the WIMA MKP bypass caps gave to the unit...the PIOS if carefully installed with the leads as short as possible pick up no noise whatsoever and impart a lovely tube like vocing to the overall mod (addressing your main complaint for the most part)....the PIOS are critical to the end result (at least 50% of the voicing is at stake here). Combine that with the HDAM OPA and it's PIO mod and you have a very accurate and cheap source that can be modified quite easily by a beginner ( no small consideration when to take into account the complexity of adding a tube output stage and it's related PSU components).However  I do like the idea of the tube back end and I would like to try that someday. I have a number of 6N6P-I's on hand gathering dust that could be pressed into service if I should decide to duplicate the mod.

Your NFB 11 mod is pretty cool.....Lampy is a unique individual and a great resource as long as you like tubes (for everything) and are well versed in DIY precautions when dealing with high voltages. The 6N6P is a good tube but it's hardly SOTA....for these purposes however and the target price points of these DIY projects I can think of no better candidate (tube) for those on a budget.

Good work T...
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back