Audio-GD NFB-11
Mar 15, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #781 of 987
My guess is that it is the cost of the chips.  The last time they discontinued the Sabre products in December cost was a factor.  The Kingwa reported in this forum they got a deal on less than a very large quantity.  I would guess they have committed all those chips to and then ran out.  It's of course none of my business and I am speculating.  A disappointment for sure for some.  I went the Wolfson route myself on a NFB-8 and NFB-12.  If these DACs sound anywhere as good as the DAC 19 I will be happy.  I think its all more about the implementation around the chip (e.g. power supply) versus the chip itself that makes the difference in the end anyway.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #782 of 987

Quote:
My guess is that it is the cost of the chips.  The last time they discontinued the Sabre products in December cost was a factor.  The Kingwa reported in this forum they got a deal on less than a very large quantity.  I would guess they have committed all those chips to and then ran out.  It's of course none of my business and I am speculating.  A disappointment for sure for some.  I went the Wolfson route myself on a NFB-8 and NFB-12.  If these DACs sound anywhere as good as the DAC 19 I will be happy.  I think its all more about the implementation around the chip (e.g. power supply) versus the chip itself that makes the difference in the end anyway.

No, they just want feedback.

Quote:
The NFB-11 now just is stop accept order now,because we want to sent out the a batch first look for the customer feedback,if the customer feedback is good,that we will think the NFB-11 available again,thanks
Edwin

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #784 of 987

Quote:
I don't notice a difference using the digital interface in the USB path, sorry I gave that impression.  I have less than 30 hours on the Digital Interface , I ordered it with the TCXO upgrade , I only have the up-sampling jumper "NO-C" on .  I listen only to a lot of MP3's with the old lame 390 --alt-preset standard , equivalent to -V2 if your using lame 398 or newer.

Well, fair enough... why don't you try flac and some 24-96khz recordings from chesky or other audiophile label ? It should be a worth test.... maybe differences are not so "in the face", maybe you have to look for little details in the music... or maybe it just doesn't worth it... =]

Quote:
I got the same answer.  My NFB-11 should ship soon, ETS (estimated time to ship) sometime next week.

Quote:
This what edwin replied when asked the reason for nfb-11 being discontinued..

Quote:
We just want to sent out the order which had ordered,then look about the customer feedback first,then we will decide is it will available again.Thanks. The gear is not the iusse,thanks Edwin

Same here from you guys.....

Quote:
Dear Sir,
The NFB-11 now just is stop accept order now,because we want to sent out the a batch first look for the customer feedback,if the customer feedback is good,that we will think the NFB-11 available again,thanks
Edwin

Sometimes comunication could be a issue and cause trouble.... lol.... =]

Quote:
Well, I have received my paypal invoice yesterday for a NFB-11.
Just contacted then, lets wait for the answer.

Você pediu DHL ou EMS ?

Quote:
Quote:
No, they just want feedback.

The question that keeps poping in my head is why wouldn't the feedback be good.?

This is my first dac, so i assume i will notice a lot of diff.. but when they(designers) are not very sure since they are looking for a feedback makes me feel uneasy..

You'll sure notice a lot diff....
Well... it turns out they aren't a big company, so they need costumers to test their project, because even a big company sometimes sends a bad sample (car recall.... even sennheiser problems with headphones), and field test is the only way to know if it will work just right.......
I think they are 100% right.... you won't want to send 1000 DACs in the wild, just to have all of them back to repair or replace for a new model, it would maybe get you out of business.... instead you can send 10-20 around and wait for awhile to check if buyers do report problems.....

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #786 of 987
Hi!
My Order was supposed to be shipped by DHL.

After a lof of emails I decided to wait the next batch of NFB-11.
The support is always very good and King-wa very kind to answer all my emails.
They are not going to discontinue the NFB-11, just wait the first customers to give then the initial impressions, and correct/improve what needs to be corrected or improved.

Lets wait next batch.
Quote:

Well, fair enough... why don't you try flac and some 24-96khz recordings from chesky or other audiophile label ? It should be a worth test.... maybe differences are not so "in the face", maybe you have to look for little details in the music... or maybe it just doesn't worth it... =]

Quote:

Same here from you guys.....

Sometimes comunication could be a issue and cause trouble.... lol.... =]

Você pediu DHL ou EMS ?

You'll sure notice a lot diff....
Well... it turns out they aren't a big company, so they need costumers to test their project, because even a big company sometimes sends a bad sample (car recall.... even sennheiser problems with headphones), and field test is the only way to know if it will work just right.......
I think they are 100% right.... you won't want to send 1000 DACs in the wild, just to have all of them back to repair or replace for a new model, it would maybe get you out of business.... instead you can send 10-20 around and wait for awhile to check if buyers do report problems.....

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #787 of 987

Quote:
Hi!
My Order was supposed to be shipped by DHL.

After a lof of emails I decided to wait the next batch of NFB-11.
The support is always very good and King-wa very kind to answer all my emails.
They are not going to discontinue the NFB-11, just wait the first customers to give then the initial impressions, and correct/improve what needs to be corrected or improved.

Lets wait next batch.

Did they tell you when will be the next batch available??

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #788 of 987
Thats what Ive just received:

"Dear Mario,
We can not sure when NFB-11 will available again or not,because this need to wait for the customer feedback quickly or late.And you the better do not pay now,because if the customer feedback not good,that the NFB-11 not available again,so that you the better wait for the feedback first.
Edwin"

So.. no NFB-11 for now
triportsad.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #789 of 987

Quote:
Thats what Ive just received:

"Dear Mario,
We can not sure when NFB-11 will available again or not,because this need to wait for the customer feedback quickly or late.And you the better do not pay now,because if the customer feedback not good,that the NFB-11 not available again,so that you the better wait for the feedback first.
Edwin"

So.. no NFB-11 for now
triportsad.gif

Well.... I'll give it a try and be a "beta" tester..... LoL..... I guess everything is pretty much sorted out by then.... they had plenty time to check everything and assuming the problem with the first batch was only a USB problem I guess this new one will be just fine....
He told me he might ship it this week... I don't know how DHL works here, but if it's like Fedex, it should take about 5-7 days...

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #790 of 987

I received my repaired NFB-11 about a week ago, and it's like getting my very best drug back! haha j/k I'm very happy to get my NFB back in time for my birthday today. Thanks to King Wa, and Edwin for taking care of me and my DAC. :)

I think having the NFB-11 with no "Fixed-out" as default confused me. I had to use the Volume knob to adjust the "line-out" volume?, and the Gain was on high for listening to a new pair of used HD600's I just got. So, it's using the headphone amp section when outputing to line-out? How does the Gain and Volume knob affect Line-Out otherwise? Is there a FAQ i should've read? lol

I was listening to music: NFB-11->MH MiniMax->HD600 It was kind of Intense, fatigueing, bordering on painful with extended listening. :frowning2: The Volume/Gain thing finally bothered me too much, so I opened the DAC and jumpered it for "Fixed-Out". That FIXed my issues completely! It seems the music is less intense, more lush and open, simply wonderful with the MiniMax/HD600 now.

Is it just me? it could be... haha but I think it's unnecessary to have "Fixed-Out" jumpered to Off from the factory.

I'm very impressed with the NFB-11's expression of fine details, it's a mesmerisingly great sounding DAC. It's near Impossible for me to remove my HD600's or the Truly Incrediblely intra 3D experience of Headphone-out driving the Radius dual driver DDM IEM's. 
It's a more visceral trip than with HD600's even! It seems the better the recording, and more complex the music, the greater
the NFB-11 shines... I am well pleased thus far, and if it continues to sound better with more hours... :)

One day in the future I'd really love to Own and hear the Deluxe ESS9018 implementation...  NFB10ES...  *drool*   I guess I'm an ESS fanboy now... haha

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #791 of 987
Hi vpsporb!

Good to hear that You got the NFB-11 back. Did You get any explanation of what had caused the dying of it? ..When I opened my NFB-11 the first time I noticed a small, loose metallic flake, propably from the thread for a screw in one of the 7 screwholes.... I thought it may have been something like that causing a shortcut in the circuit.....

Can You say anything about the sound between the NFB-11 headphone out and the MiniMax with headphones?

I think the NFB-11 is realIy good value for the money. I have the NFB-10ES too.  I listen to it right now single end, comparing it to the NFB-11, with the same music. The -10ES is more mature.. with more body.

A number of posts in the NFB-10-thread sais it really lifts when its used balanced. I haven't had any chance yet to try but I beleive them.

I think the NFB-11 is a bargain and the ESS-chip is the one for me.

/Jan

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #792 of 987
Hey Jan,

I was only told there was a chip replaced, I thought it was the transformer... but it's the same one. lol 

The MiniMax/12AE6 tubes, adds more body to the mids and bass, music sounds fuller with more impact/decay.
The Headphone out sounds quite good too, with perhaps a more SolidState "refined" sound to it.
This is while listening with HD600's.

I've been asked if it sounds "Analytical", I think it's a misconception to "Highly Resolving"  It's not like Karaoke where the voices are stripped out, so your only left to analyse the music. I equate it to experiencing an "Excuisite Painting @ the Louvre" 
Is it too colorful? are there too many details.. and I need some roll-off? Like a wee dab of vaseline on my glasses to enjoy it more?  No I say... Give me more Quality Details!  After-all Isn't that what the "Quest" is all about?

You has a NFB10ES too eh? lucky bugger!  I'm sure she must sound quite "High Class"
I'm not sure I can afford to take a girl like her out to Dinner. :)
I'm getting more and more intrigued by a balanced DAC, The HD600 is great with the removable cable.
I guess I would only have to re-terminate the plug to an XLR for balanced Op.  I be rubbing my hands @the thought!  haha

Yes, The NFB-11 is an Incredible Bargain, an ESS9018 DAC @ this price is unheard of, don't hesistate.. order yours!

P.S.
Deadmau5 is akin to a "religious experience" thru the '11, truly masterful mixing.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #793 of 987
Thank You for the words, vpsporb.

You will get with more body and more definition and even more separation between instruments(soundstage) with the -10ES.  The background noise is also better and gives a "blacker" background.  ... The MiniMax most ceryainly gives You most of that allready. If You listen alot to music through headphones, my advice is to save for the NFB-10ES.... Your headphones is quite easy to build a new  balance cable for. Cardas have the connectors and Kingwa is selling the Neutrik 4-pin-kit with both male- and femaleplugs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with NFB-11.... I am astonished every day about what this little neat box can deliver. But I can hear that You appreciate ESS-chip as I do... and it does even better in the -10ES

regs.

/Jan

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #795 of 987
Variable output means that the volume controls the output. Fixed means that the DAC outputs directly with no volume control.  The former means that you can use the NFB-11 as a DAC/pre-amp with a power amp. The latter means it acts only as a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back