Audio-GD NFB-11
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #751 of 987
Lets give NFSB-11 a chance =D
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #752 of 987

Quote:
I'm still waiting for some 300 Ohm MB Quarts to arrive, but so far I'm unexpectedly impressed by the performance with the LCD-2s.  It has well over 1W of power available for low-impedance cans, so this isn't so much of a surprise. That should make it fine with the K701s and K702s It didn't do poorly with Shpongle either.

Awesome news.  I have been considering such a small and unobtrusive product to compliment the full on rig...I think this is what the doctor ordered for enjoying my PX100s single ended...heheh.  Would just be a bonus if they drive LCD2s and K701s, though I am inclined to go with the wolfson model in light of Kingwa's own perceptions.  OTOH I was wondering if it wasn't better to gun for something that doesn't need an AC supply...lookin also at the Hi-Fi Man HM602 and HM801, but they cost more...decisions, decisions.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #753 of 987
Is anyone able to post any measurements of this versus previous DAC's? I'm interested in the NFB-11, the idea of no feedback does tend to scare me a bit.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #754 of 987

Quote:
Im about to buy the NFB-11, but before to do that I would like to know if anybody knows how the amp section of the NFB-11 drives de AKG-701?
Im really in doubt between NFB-11 and the Nuforce Icon HDP.

Impressions are welcome.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

I owned both and you can't go wrong with either.  Sound wise I felt that the HDP had a more 3D sound stage possibly because of it's native high gain.  The sound stage width becomes similar with the NFB-11 on high gain but still not as tall or as encompassing.  Although the HDP is considered "bright", the NFB-11 has more treble sparkle and the lows are tighter with more clarity.  On the other hand the HDP has a smaller footprint on the desk, has a more musicality based sound signature, and while the bass isn't as tight, it was definitely full and robust.  Also just in case anyone wanted to know, the bass on the HDP is overall tighter than the NFB-12 too. 

My main reasons of switching from the HDP to the NFB-11 were that the NFB-11 has a better DAC, it was $100 cheaper (about $150 cheaper now that you can get the one without usb), and I could switch to rca out without unplugging my headphones. 

Also both of them can definitely drive the AKG-701's as the power is just about similar between the two.  The HDP can drive the HD650/HD800's to ear splitting levels so I don't think you'll have a problem with either one.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #755 of 987
I sold my NFB-12 a couple weeks to fund my Meier Concerto/StageDAC purchase, but next time funds aren't an issue, I think I'm going to give the NFB-11 a go as my bring-along Amp+DAC. So that whenever I bring my headphones to a friend's, rather than having to disconnect, pack up my Meier combo, then having to unpack and reconnect when coming back home, the NFB-11 will serve as my on-the-go unit.

From what I've read, they seem to be a better match for the LCD-2's, than the NFB-12. I did like the NFB-12, but compared to my Concerto/StageDAC combo, it was much warmer, almost too warm. So the NFB-11 should solve that problem and hopefully more closely resemble my Meier combo when showing off my LCD-2's to friends. They both have a very nice amount of power, so that won't be an issue either.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #756 of 987
Brian, that comparison would be interesting.  When I first received the NFB-11 (which had the USB issue) it sounded a bit poor and I preferred my warmer-sounding Sparrow over it.  I was very enthusiastic about the design but very let-down. I'm really surprised by my feelings towards the "fixed" version. With the Compass, Fun and Sparrow, they sounded good, but not great (relative to the high(er)-end gear I had at the time), so I've figured that this was as good as it was possible to get for $200-300. I don't know if it was specifically the upgraded clock, but I'm surprised by the clarity and lack of harshness.  I'm thinking either Kingwa has seriously nailed it or I've gone deaf and it's not as good as I think it is. I'll pull it out of my speaker rig at some point and give it a few weeks of use.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #758 of 987
Does anyone have any experience of the NFB-11 as a DAC+preamp combo for some active speakers? I´m thinking about getting one as a temporary DAC/Preamp solution for my active monitors. It has exactly the inputs I need (BNC for CD, and optical from TV) too.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #759 of 987
Quote:
Brian, that comparison would be interesting.  When I first received the NFB-11 (which had the USB issue) it sounded a bit poor and I preferred my warmer-sounding Sparrow over it.  I was very enthusiastic about the design but very let-down. I'm really surprised by my feelings towards the "fixed" version. With the Compass, Fun and Sparrow, they sounded good, but not great (relative to the high(er)-end gear I had at the time), so I've figured that this was as good as it was possible to get for $200-300. I don't know if it was specifically the upgraded clock, but I'm surprised by the clarity and lack of harshness.  I'm thinking either Kingwa has seriously nailed it or I've gone deaf and it's not as good as I think it is. I'll pull it out of my speaker rig at some point and give it a few weeks of use.

That's good to hear, if I read it right... The fixed version doesn't sound poor and cold sounding anymore? Also, were the original issues only through USB? I use the toslink out from my MBP so hopefully that isn't effected too dramatically.

I wish I could buy an NFB-11 now, but funds are really hurting, so it might be a month/couple months until I can make the comparison.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #760 of 987
Does optical work at 32/192 on these just fine? or does it HAVE to be coax? Also... no measurements from anyone?? At all??
Also, wouldn't a through hole build be pretty bad for EMI? Especially if it has no feedback?

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #761 of 987
Looks like the ship date on these has been backed up another month.  Anyone know what's going on?  Changes to the design, or just can't keep up with orders?

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #762 of 987

Quote:
Looks like the ship date on these has been backed up another month.  Anyone know what's going on?  Changes to the design, or just can't keep up with orders?

they are just really backed up. they didnt start makign the NFB-11 until march 1st. apparently first batch should ship soon. i hope im in it. ordered it the day of announcement

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #763 of 987

Quote:

I'm waiting mine to get done.... 7 days ago I asked Edwin when he would ship my NFB-11 unit, and he told me "about a week".... So it might be out by next week if he made calculations right.... =]

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #764 of 987
I ordered mine through pacific valve a few weeks ago and it was supposed to arrive tomorrow - they just said mid-april now.  but that's just PV.

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #765 of 987
I'm waiting too ,for the NonUSB NFB-11,  I've got my early part of my request , Canare cables from Audio-gd that I'm using with mly NFB-12 , as well as th Ditall Interface , I'm breaking in so many things at once , hard to give an impression , other than I found my sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back