Audio-GD NFB-11
Dec 7, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #408 of 987

Quote:
i know these are brand new products, but does anyone know enough about the Sabre32 and Wolfson chips that are in the NFB-11 and NFB-12 to compare them on a theoretical basis?

the NFB-12 has two of the Wolfson chips. what is the effect of having two instead of one with regards to sound quality?

my understanding is these chips are part of the DAC sections. is that right?

do we know anything about the amp sections of the NFB-11 and NFB-12? are they the same?

thanks guys. please help a n00b : )

I have a Fun and NFB-11 (which I need to send back), but the differences are more in the output stage, as Kingwa tuned them to sound different. As well, since both have quite complex and considerably adjustable designs, he can very much tune the actual chip to sound different by changing how it's set up in the circuit even before the output stage.  The output stage, for the unfamiliar, is a small amplifier that sends out the signal at line level.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #409 of 987
From www.audio-gd.com
"[size=small]The ES9018 PCM mode (I2S input) working not steady as SPDIF mode .
     Some engineer friends adviced to us, converte the USB interface from I2S to SPDIF for avoid the ES9018 working at PCM mode  but we refuse, we believe this is the first simple way but will degrade on SQ.
     Final ,We addition a high performance PLL chip ( typical jitter is 21 PS) in NFB-11/NFB-10 for improve the USB interface clock performance .[size=small]Now we had test 40 units NFB-11 near month for confirm we had fix this issue. Benefit from the high performance PLL join in, the sound from USB is audibly improved .[/size]
 "
[/size]

Well excellent. I had a small fear that Kingwa would choose some easy way, as problems locking to the signal can easyli lead to jitter inferior solutions. Instead the problem opt them to search for excellence. Just excellent. Great news.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #410 of 987
Ditto, it's great to hear that they aren't cutting corners. Based on the description, it appears that the initial hiccup has resulted in a more robust USB implementation than originally conceived.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #411 of 987
It is good to hear that they get it fixed properly! I guess we will just wait till they get the customer feedback.

from audio-gd:
[size=small]"Thanks all pre-order customers , your patience reanimate us working without tire.
We will shipping these around 20 units for users test at first . We wish other pre-order customers understanding and waiting some days, once we get feedback these 20 units through test, we will shipping other units as soon as possible."
[/size]

Congrats on the sponsorship, by the way.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #412 of 987

Quote:
I have a Fun and NFB-11 (which I need to send back), but the differences are more in the output stage, as Kingwa tuned them to sound different. As well, since both have quite complex and considerably adjustable designs, he can very much tune the actual chip to sound different by changing how it's set up in the circuit even before the output stage.  The output stage, for the unfamiliar, is a small amplifier that sends out the signal at line level.

Hi Currawong,

any reason to send the NFB-11 back?

regardless the Fun flexibility, do you found that Fun is still sound better than NFB11?

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #413 of 987
I think Currawong is sending it back to have the USB issue fixed as well.

I would lovet to hear your impressions in terms of the sound signature, between the Fun and the NFB-11 Currawong :)

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #415 of 987
Ditto. I would like to hear from someone who has listened to both units since I switched my order from the 11 to the Fun.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #416 of 987
Kingwa told me he is going to change the sound a little, so I'd wait for comparisons with the fixed units.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #417 of 987
I hope Kingwa read this thread...

Hi Kingwa, do you mind to answer my curiousity... is the ESS9018 output on NFB-11 implemented as I-out or as V-out?

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #419 of 987

Quote:
Well i asumed that when the unit had [size=x-small]ACSS[/size] it meant that it was configured for I-out?

ACSS seems not necessarily used on I-out DAC... Audio-GD's Wolfson based DACs are also said to use ACSS, while all Wolfson DAC chips are V-Out only DAC

The reason I ask about it is because from what I read across the net, it seems that the most ideal amplification for I-out DAC is transimpedance amp. Though any opamp can act as transimpedance amplifier, I think ACSS is a kind of transimpedance amp... (I could be wrong, with my limited electronic knowledge)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back