Audio-GD NFB-11
Nov 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #256 of 987
I want to mod my nfb-11, before i even have it
smily_headphones1.gif
ROFL.

I was wondering if the smd decoupling could be changed perhaps by using wima types some places or fx. stacking smd cg0 types on top of the existing ceramic capacitors (we are talking size 805 right?). Dont know if its stupid. Does anyone know who to ask for advice, fx. at audio-gd?

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #257 of 987
I'm pretty sure that overclocking disables both of these. I've had a similar problem where the latency on my buses was terrible after a format, and the sound was woeful. I had gone back to stock to format -> overclocked again and problem disappeared, and so did the tendency of CPUz to report the wrong CPU frequency when PC was idling.
Probably not possible in laptops though, so it would still be broken if Kingwa hadn't reported a fix a few posts down from yours.
Quote:
That's a veryyyy ugly workaround, I will not disable Speedstep & C-state on my workstation (i875k overclocked to 4ghz - I guess that'd be a 50w raise to my power consumption)

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #259 of 987

Quote:
Vpsporb: Yes. The switch on the front will do that for you.

Will be a week or two before I think I will post any impressions but so far I have the impression of "sharp and clear" without being harsh (except initially) and true to form for the ES9018 seems less source-sensitive. It might indeed a good combo with a good tube amp.

You mean a good tube amp like a Woo Audio WA6 maybe...? 

I hope so
smile.gif
  Right now I'm using a WA6 to power some HD650s and wondering if the NFB-11 would be a noticeably good upgrade from my EMU 0404 USB.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #260 of 987

Quote:
Kingwa told me he has a fix, so you shouldn't have to do anything with your computer.

By the way, I've set up the NFB-11 in my rather humble living room speaker rig with Parasound Zamp and Paradigm Titans. Normally I use the Fun A (with WM8741 and OPA Earth) as the DAC/pre-amp.  While it's not as resolving as my main rig I find it easy to get a feeling about gear.

So Kingwa actually has fixed the usb issued now? And the second batch shouldn't have the usb issue that the first had?

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #261 of 987
You'd have to ask him.  He said he knew the cause.

Anyway, I did a quick Sparrow vs. NFB-11 comparison.  Basically, the NFB-11 is slightly more "analytical" in its presentation whereas the Sparrow A with WM8741 is slightly more "musical" and enjoyable.  Unfortunately I don't have any high-impedance cans here to experiment with, which would ideal to test the amp section.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #262 of 987
How does nfb11 compare to higher end (more expensive) gear? I've always been fond of smaller all-in-one devices because you save on cables and there's less cable clutter. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #264 of 987
A bunch of more shipping details up on the audio-gd website. There dont seem to be any more NFB-11's shipped out though
frown.gif

I am actually quite curious to hear this DAC. ESS9018 is a much-hyped chip and audio-gd seems to be a well regarded manufacturer so I'm curious to hear the product

I was seriously considering one of the PCM1704 DACs for my main system but after the indifferent customer service experience, I dont think I'll be doing at. This kind of customer service is still palatable for a $300 kind of product, definitely not for a $1000+ product.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #265 of 987

Quote:
I was seriously considering one of the PCM1704 DACs for my main system but after the indifferent customer service experience, I dont think I'll be doing at. This kind of customer service is still palatable for a $300 kind of product, definitely not for a $1000+ product.

Did you experienced personnaly the indifferent customer service experience ?

Every time i asked something to Audio-GD even very weird questions, they finally respond to me within a week, and the only bad experience i saw here (the DAC3 dead on arrival) was finally solded without a cost for the customer.

About the PCM1704 DACs i can only give impressions on my DAC-19 DSP (2xPCM1704uk with fully discrete design) and for me this is an excellent investment, sound is very resolving, detailed without never sounding sterile or cold, soundstage is good and there is some depth even on my Bookshelf speakers at low volume, very good extension in low and high frequencies, and the most important for me is the "analogical sound" of this unit : attacks are very fast and precise without never being too rough or too "harsch", the unit give me the impression of being really transparent.

I'm not really good to describe the sound of a unit, english isn't my native language, but i try to tell you how good is this unit (DAC-19) and i don't dare to think how good could be the sound of the other DACs more expensive from Audio-GD, but it probably worth their price, and much more...

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #266 of 987

Is 2nd time i read about shipping details on Audi-GD's site.... umm Where? 
Seriously... am I blind?  lol

Quote:
A bunch of more shipping details up on the audio-gd website. There dont seem to be any more NFB-11's shipped out though
frown.gif

I am actually quite curious to hear this DAC. ESS9018 is a much-hyped chip and audio-gd seems to be a well regarded manufacturer so I'm curious to hear the product

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #267 of 987
Nov 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #269 of 987
I would call a half dozen unanswered emails over 10 days or so indifferent. Also I was explicitly told in an email on the 25th that the DAC would ship out in 1-2 days.

Thanks for the feedback on the 19DSP. I originally wanted the DAC-19  but was told it had been discontinued. I'd thought about getting the 19DSP but decided to get something cheaper

Quote:
Did you experienced personnaly the indifferent customer service experience ?

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #270 of 987

Quote:
I would call a half dozen unanswered emails over 10 days or so indifferent. Also I was explicitly told in an email on the 25th that the DAC would ship out in 1-2 days.

Thanks for the feedback on the 19DSP. I originally wanted the DAC-19  but was told it had been discontinued. I'd thought about getting the 19DSP but decided to get something cheaper

Read this : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521024/solved-audio-gd-e-mail-addresses-get-sorted-out-by-the-gmx-spam-filter

Perhaps it's the same gmx problem ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back