Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #1,996 of 2,577
Which one should i buy for my Audeze LCD-2C's? I'm more into the warm, darker-signature sound, I lke the sound of 80s, heavy synthersizer sounds, funk, blues, early hip-hop, rock, I'm not into V-shaped sound but I like bass, I'm also pretty treble-sensitive. I do not care about modern pop music. I'd like a wide soundstage, deep, low, hard hitting bass that's not distorted or booming, highs that do not pierce my ears and mid frequencies that are not missing.

At first I tought about the Schiit Magni/Modi stack but I read somewhere that the soundstage is wider on Audio GD devices and that is really important for me. The LCD-2C-s arent the most wide-sounding headphones and due that I would like to get an amp that expands the soundstage to the maximum. I know there are better and more expensive optons but I cant spend more than the price of the two amps discussed in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,997 of 2,577
Which one should i buy for my Audeze LCD-2C's? I'm more into the warm, darker-signature sound, I lke the sound of 80s, heavy synthersizer sounds, funk, blues, early hip-hop, rock, I'm not into V-shaped sound but I like bass, I'm also pretty treble-sensitive. I do not care about modern pop music. I'd like a wide soundstage, deep, low, hard hitting bass that's not distorted or booming, highs that do not pierce my ears and mid frequencies that are not missing.
Based on your description that’s easy: R2R-11 all the way.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #1,998 of 2,577
I'm currently running the Auteur of a Magni3/Modi3. I've been looking into R2R 11 or the NFB-11.28 as a possible upgrade. Will there be any noticable difference? Anyone have a recommendation for one over the other for the Auteur?

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,999 of 2,577
I'm currently running the Auteur of a Magni3/Modi3. I've been looking into R2R 11 or the NFB-11.28 as a possible upgrade. Will there be any noticable difference? Anyone have a recommendation for one over the other for the Auteur?
Both R2R-11 and NFB-11 will be fine (my preference being the more organic R2R), but to be honest a headphone like the Auteur will greatly benefit from a more resolving, more powerful and more versatile amp and dac, preferably balanced, so if you can stretch your budget to the Audio-gd R-28 your Auteur will thank you for it. The added resolution and transparency will shine with the Auteurs.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,002 of 2,577
I wouldn't bother with that kind of "upgrade", it would be more of a sidegrade. Audio-GD's sound signature certainly is different from Schiit's, especially if we're talking about R2R-11, but I wouldn't necessarily see R2R-11 or NFB-11.28 being more technically proficient than the typical Schiit stack.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #2,004 of 2,577
Good to know. Indeed I'm loving the sound of the Auteur with the Schiit stack, so I guess a more pricier combo makes more sense as a true upgrade.
Yes ... in my experience that is true - see my recent posts a page or two back - as I own both and neither of them is 'above' the other. In saying that, if I want a long listening session with the HD540 Ref1s and hear everything I can in 3D space, then the Schiit stack has it, greater transparency makes the difference for me. The R2R-11 is warmer and denser while sounding fantastic with my brighter Senn HD430's. Next true upgrade for me will be the far more expensive Yggdrasil, might as well go all out :) Check out the Yggy 2 thread for the stunning results of Schiit's recent upgrades to this DAC.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,005 of 2,577
Hi guys, I have purchased an R2R-11 one month and a half ago from MagnaHi-Fi (and I asked them to install the mod to disable Fixed output making it the same as when Variable is selected). I am really satisfied with the sound, but I have three issues (1 is the main one):

1) They said this is an updated unit, so the pop should be absent, but there is actually a tiny bit. This do not bother me anyway

2) My system is composed by: PC-AudioGD-Schiit Sys-Anaview AMS0100-Wharfedale Diamond 210
To the Schiit Sys there is attached the AudioGD and a Schiit Mani for my Turntable

When using Variable and Fixed output there is some white noise in the background that does not depend on the PC. I have an Anaview AMS0100 as final for my bookshelves and it didn't make any noise until now. There is no noise when it is on, noise starts only when switching on also the AudioGD selecting Fixed or Variable output. This noise becomes less if I lower the volume on my Schiit SyS and turn higher the volume on the AudioGD. Nothing changes if I bypass the Sys and go straight to the Anaview, it is even more present because without the sys I cannot do the "trick" of lowering the volume

3) When using OPT in there are some strong pops during music reproduction both in normal Windows audio and using WASAPI, also when nothing is in reproduction. This is what bothers me the most. This problem is not present when using USB. I also tried two different cables

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,006 of 2,577
Just to let you all know, R2R-11 sounds spectacular with HD540 and HD560 Sennheiser headphones. AKG K240DF is on its way, so I'll let you know what is the definitive best sounding affordable headphone with R2R-11 very soon. Both these headphones slay HE-400i, no competition there.

{edit - new headphone cable is a must, otherwise both headphones sound too thin and bright}

So lets hear it - ladies and gentlemen, the best sounding affordable headphones (so far discovered) :) are...!
ok no such thing exists - and the sound depends heavily on pads used, which I compared thouroughly, and choosed one for each headphone, that sounds best to my ears..
AKG K240 Sextett MP 600 Ohm with Stock pads (stock pads do it best for raw sound) -> death metal, punk. Very flat, raw sound. Guitars are in front. Impressive for bad recordings and raw guitars and voices.
AKG K240 DF 600 Ohm with Brainwavz pads -> mediocre detail retrieval and clarity, but tonality is simply best of all headphones I tried, they sound very relaxed and rounded, soundstage is not big. Bass is on pair with HD540, but as how these headphones do everything, it sounds softer. Very suitable for relaxed listening. Good for all genres.
HD540 Reference EP 600 Ohm with stock pads (refurbished) -> outstanding clarity, outstanding sound of notes, positioning, also good bass and wide soundstage. Its sound is hard (NOT SOFT) and is very suitable for "reading music" and enjoying each note. Excels in technicality, but may not be suitable for relaxed musical listening.
HD560 Ovation MP-LP 300 Ohm with HD430 pads -> 1 step down in clarity and pronunciation from HD540, yet still much cleaner than AKG K240 DF. Soundstage is not as wide as HD540, it also is taller. Brighter - lacks bass a bit. Very suitable for music enjoyment due to less clinical and more soft sound (than that of HD540). It may sound bright on most recordings, but may hit the spot with others.
Hifiman HE-400i with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads -> bass is excellent, sound is not coherent enough (in comparison to Edition X V2), high frequencies are worse (shifted and clouded) than all above mentioned headphones. All those above mentioned headphones are better for music listening. He-400i is more suitable for playing computer games and movies, it deforms music somehow due to the way it plays High frequerencies and it also does something to the soundstage in that manner. May be caused by pads, but it does not matter anymore.. All of those headphones above present music in more wonderful way, although each of them has its own flaws and strengths.

to be compared: HD565
and later: HD430, HD250, pioneer monitor 10 and others

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,007 of 2,577
So lets hear it - ladies and gentlemen, the best sounding affordable headphones (so far discovered) :) are...!
ok no such thing exists - and the sound depends heavily on pads used, which I compared thouroughly, and choosed one for each headphone, that sounds best to my ears..
AKG K240 Sextett MP 600 Ohm with Stock pads (stock pads do it best for raw sound) -> death metal, punk. Very flat, raw sound. Guitars are in front. Impressive for bad recordings and raw guitars and voices.
AKG K240 DF 600 Ohm with Brainwavz pads -> mediocre detail retrieval and clarity, but tonality is simply best of all headphones I tried, they sound very relaxed and rounded, soundstage is not big. Bass is on pair with HD540, but as how these headphones do everything, it sounds softer. Very suitable for relaxed listening. Good for all genres.
HD540 Reference EP 600 Ohm with stock pads (refurbished) -> outstanding clarity, outstanding sound of notes, positioning, also good bass and wide soundstage. Its sound is hard (NOT SOFT) and is very suitable for "reading music" and enjoying each note. Excels in technicality, but may not be suitable for relaxed musical listening.
HD560 Ovation MP-LP 300 Ohm with HD430 pads -> 1 step down in clarity and pronunciation from HD540, yet still much cleaner than AKG K240 DF. Soundstage is not as wide as HD540, it also is taller. Brighter - lacks bass a bit. Very suitable for music enjoyment due to less clinical and more soft sound (than that of HD540). It may sound bright on most recordings, but may hit the spot with others.
Hifiman HE-400i with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads -> bass is excellent, sound is not coherent enough (in comparison to Edition X V2), high frequencies are worse (shifted and clouded) than all above mentioned headphones. All those above mentioned headphones are better for music listening. He-400i is more suitable for playing computer games and movies, it deforms music somehow due to the way it plays High frequerencies and it also does something to the soundstage in that manner. May be caused by pads, but it does not matter anymore.. All of those headphones above present music in more wonderful way, although each of them has its own flaws and strengths.

to be compared: HD565
and later: HD430, HD250, pioneer monitor 10 and others
I'm not familiar with some of those cans, but a good 'review' nevertheless :) What I can say is that good cables with the HD540 Refs are paramount to putting the final touches to it's brilliance. The Mogami cable is vastly superior to the stock steel cable, which has lighter bass, upper-mid edge and peaking (a touch steely with hot voices) and is grainy in comparison. Live with the Mogami for a while and go back to stock .... it's a short, sharp, shock! All of the benefits of the stock HD540s are enhanced, the bass is extended and becomes more organic, basically the whole frequency range just opens out, smooths while retaining even more detail and becomes completely grainless. Enjoyment levels are out of sight. No matter which amplifier I use mine with, whether it's the Schiit stack, the R2R-11, a tape deck, my vintage Technics SA-290 (restored), 40 year old Akai AM-2600 (restored) and with all of those, they are still easier to drive at 600 ohms than the 22 ohm HifiMAN HE400S.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #2,008 of 2,577
Speaking of Mogami cable, I've just a few minutes ago finished a set for the HE400S (with A pads), jacked them into a warmed up R2R, popped on the 12" version of The The's Sweet Bird Of Truth. Brand new cable, so it needs some running in, a touch electronic-sounding is normal for this cable on initial listen, though no doubting the superb clarity, open space around notes and musicians and instruments, everything in it's own ambient space, obvious individual dynamics of very note that allows all instruments and voices to have their own life and expression. Looking forward to using the cans with the QP1R now, as it's here that these HE400S sound fantastic, a natural gelling and symbiosis. Already I am a little bit awed at how everything occupies it's own space in the sound field. Extremely revealing of recording quality though .... well, Mogami cable isn't used worldwide in recording studios for nothing! The silence between notes is darker, tiny ambient cues are hypnotic in their clarity, eyes widen and a grin appears.
This is why my HD540 Ref1s sound the way they do too (along with pads and inner foams), no edge, no upper-mid sharpness, extended bass and extremely clean top end that rolls off gently without smearing any tiny ambient cues. And then theirs the 3D sound space that makes the Ricki Lee Jones album "Naked Songs" both so utterly intimate and breathtakingly open at the same time, the tiniest audience movement or suppressed cough or gasp of awe effortlessly suspended in space. This is with the Schiit stack, the R2R has less of that sheer transparent openness with this album, yet adds a warm weight and extra sock to other lighter weight albums, it's got some drive!
Meantime, the HE400S and R2R are relatively happy with CSN&Y live from 1974. Time to let the new cable have a few hours to itself.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #2,009 of 2,577
I let my local headphone cable manufacturer do me Sennheiser cable. Its very stiff, class 6 OFC copper, and it gave the sound more body, bass is excellent, clarity around notes is also spot on. Both Hd540 and HD560 sound fantastic with it. It also has good connectors, which in my opinion is maybe the most important part of the cable. The only downside is that I need 2 of these, and soon I will need third, so I decided to keep switching 1 cable.

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #2,010 of 2,577
Hi guys, I have purchased an R2R-11 one month and a half ago from MagnaHi-Fi (and I asked them to install the mod to disable Fixed output making it the same as when Variable is selected). I am really satisfied with the sound, but I have three issues (1 is the main one):

1) They said this is an updated unit, so the pop should be absent, but there is actually a tiny bit. This do not bother me anyway

2) My system is composed by: PC-AudioGD-Schiit Sys-Anaview AMS0100-Wharfedale Diamond 210
To the Schiit Sys there is attached the AudioGD and a Schiit Mani for my Turntable

When using Variable and Fixed output there is some white noise in the background that does not depend on the PC. I have an Anaview AMS0100 as final for my bookshelves and it didn't make any noise until now. There is no noise when it is on, noise starts only when switching on also the AudioGD selecting Fixed or Variable output. This noise becomes less if I lower the volume on my Schiit SyS and turn higher the volume on the AudioGD. Nothing changes if I bypass the Sys and go straight to the Anaview, it is even more present because without the sys I cannot do the "trick" of lowering the volume

3) When using OPT in there are some strong pops during music reproduction both in normal Windows audio and using WASAPI, also when nothing is in reproduction. This is what bothers me the most. This problem is not present when using USB. I also tried two different cables

No one has a clue? Could it be the jumper they installed to make the fixed switch to work as the variable switch to cause background noise when using speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back