Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jul 4, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,711 of 2,569
But buying directly from audiogd is something like 50usd cheaper right?

Well yes and no. Buying direct is cheaper but upon import into Europe customs will charge you tax (vat) which depending on your country is around 20%. (Also the carrier might add 10 to 20 euro “handeling fees”).

However I do not know what value will be declared on the package from Audio-GD so I can’t tell you how much tax you will be charged.

The price of Magna already includes tax. Also you have your full European consumer rights regarding right to return within 14 days and minimum two year warranty when you buy within Europe.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,712 of 2,569
Anyone looking for good ,cheap cans that pair well with R2R11 should give 58x Jubille a go ,I'm blown away how good this sound via NOS ,this are a bit analytical , much faster and dynamic (good low end resolution end control,best bass extension out of 600 series) then HD 650,top is clear and surprisingly detailed on R2R11

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,714 of 2,569
Well after having the r2r 11 for a few days, I can say that this is the first time I've actually sat back and actually enjoyed the music without being concerned about my chain/gear. I don't know whether this can be attributed to the ladder dac as I've only had experience with delta sigma chips (sabre and akm) but for the money you pay the only compromise I can pick with this unit is the cheap looking switches on the front and thats it. Nothing when it comes to sound thats for sure. It pairs sublimely with my HE-500. After being through several much more expensive DAC/Amp combos in the past year I don't see myself moving from the r2r 11 anytime soon.

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,715 of 2,569
After being through several much more expensive DAC/Amp combos in the past year I don't see myself moving from the r2r 11 anytime soon.
Same thing with me. Ordered, returned, and sold a lot of expensive gear looking for that special tone that would make me want to listen. Some DAC/Amps Combos or seperate units where either too warm or distorted in some tracks. I like many music genres from Classical instrumental, Jazz, to Heavy Metal. I finally decided to give the R2R-11 a try and ordered after the March firmware update. Well, its now on my desk. I am quite happy and I dont need anything else for now.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #1,718 of 2,569
Yeah it definitely does. Mine was a pre March unit (bought second hand) the firmware update was simple enough. I didn't find the clicks and pops that intrusive though in the first place.

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #1,719 of 2,569
Hey,
so I just received my HD6XX from Massdrop. Should I continue to use "Low Gain" or switch to using "High Gain"?

At Low Gain, I'm able to have the volume dial around 10 O' clock position (that sweet spot). At High Gain, my ears could only tolerate at most at the 8 O' clock position.

At High Gain, I find that the sound is more spacious without certain portions overpowering. For example at Low, turning the volume up makes the vocals more prominent.

I may have a weird pair of ears and a dull brain to accompany them.

Sorry if my question sounds ridiculous. :dt880smile:

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,720 of 2,569
Hey,
so I just received my HD6XX from Massdrop. Should I continue to use "Low Gain" or switch to using "High Gain"?

At Low Gain, I'm able to have the volume dial around 10 O' clock position (that sweet spot). At High Gain, my ears could only tolerate at most at the 8 O' clock position.

At High Gain, I find that the sound is more spacious without certain portions overpowering. For example at Low, turning the volume up makes the vocals more prominent.

I may have a weird pair of ears and a dull brain to accompany them.

Sorry if my question sounds ridiculous. :dt880smile:
I’ve always found AGD to soundbetter in high gain mode - at least the NFB-11 and R2R-11. More engaging and dynamic even volume matched at low gain. Kingwa also suggests to use HG mode on his amps. So it’s not just you.

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,721 of 2,569
I’ve always found AGD to soundbetter in high gain mode - at least the NFB-11 and R2R-11. More engaging and dynamic even volume matched at low gain. Kingwa also suggests to use HG mode on his amps. So it’s not just you.

Great to know that!
I was wondering if I should I take another step and add an iFi iematch in there in ultra mode, to get more allowance on the volume dial.

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,722 of 2,569
Having a ball tonight with a new (to me) album by a popular local Sunshine Coast group called OKA, a disc called Milk & Honey. A mix of natural instruments, synth and didjeridu, this album is almost dance/trance mixed with punchy drum n bass rhythms and a warm coastal dance vibe - they're famous for it. The R2R-11 well warmed up and the HD540 Ref1s jacked in and I said goodbye to the HE400S here pretty quickly, they simply don't have the deeper bass and open, relaxed yet dynamic mix of instruments and vocals. They keep the soundstage firmly at a narrowish level and never really expand into wide open space. The Ref1s as always bring a big open space in height, width and depth that the other cans just can't match. I'm still entranced by the way they just vanish, leaving instruments so alive and organic suspended in their own space and never blurring with other sounds, it's just so easy to follow any instrument no matter where it is because it's so obviously located in it's own ambience, while always rhythmically connected and never disjointed. The R2R has loads of power and drive and never runs out of steam, the Ref1s just taking it in, full and deep, warm and alive. Amp set to high gain and the volume on 1PM. Fabulous. Effortless. No edge, no forward shoutiness, I can both relax yet want to move and dance and sing at the same time, they are still a world apart from any other headphones for a complete and balanced package. Drive and bass depth have shocked me a couple of times tonight. I can truly listen to the music with an open window. Easily the most satisfying headphones I've ever heard by far, so much so that any micro-detailing they may miss out on is inconsequential to the whole. I'm still astonished at how well they maintain this vanishing act - soundstage-wise - with both systems, only becoming even more open and spacious with the 2Ms and a little darker and earthier with the R2R. Both are rhythmically superb. I'm very happy with the versatile a-gd R2R-11!
I've loaded this album into the QP1R now, so I will play this music through the Mimby/Magni 3 system a little later.

I still couldn't get on with the HD6xx overall in my systems, despite a little extra detailing in the mids and some treble with a couple of select albums, they are far from an upgrade to the beautifully balanced HD540 Ref1s. They sold quickly, extra pads and all. I miss them not a jot. All of you who love them, bless your little cotton socks :)

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,723 of 2,569
I'm supposed to receive my R2R-11 soon and I'm super excited to see how it pairs with my HD600 (and SR325, D5000 and Nighthawk also for that matter, but I'd guess that HD600 will be the one who gets the biggest upgrade there), but I have just one stupid question about it: because it apparently doesn't have a muting relay, can it be dangerous to leave headphones connected to it when powering on or off? I've never bothered to disconnect the plug with my current amp/dac (Corda 3Move) when I power it off or on, so do I need to change my habits now?

Either way, I'm hoping that I get to share some impressions soon!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,724 of 2,569
I'm supposed to receive my R2R-11 soon and I'm super excited to see how it pairs with my HD600 (and SR325, D5000 and Nighthawk also for that matter, but I'd guess that HD600 will be the one who gets the biggest upgrade there), but I have just one stupid question about it: because it apparently doesn't have a muting relay, can it be dangerous to leave headphones connected to it when powering on or off? I've never bothered to disconnect the plug with my current amp/dac (Corda 3Move) when I power it off or on, so do I need to change my habits now?

Either way, I'm hoping that I get to share some impressions soon!
I don’t believe so, but I always zero the volume when I plug headphones in or out as a matter of habit. If the headphones are in, no need to zero. Others may have a different view so don’t take this as gospel.

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,725 of 2,569
But buying directly from audiogd is something like 50usd cheaper right?
As Magna-Hifi is located within the EU you don't have to pay customs fee, and the cost of shipping is much less as well. The delivery was 4 days from the dispatch, while many chinese packages take 3-5 weeks. Last but not least, in case of emergency, you have European warranty for the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back