Audio-gd NFB-10
Jan 15, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #2,266 of 2,860

Quote:
I know this is practically sacrilege around here, but has anyone tried software EQing down the treble, with the NFB10 and HD800? It seems the only complaints about the NFB10 with the HD800 is due to the fact that the NFB10 is dead neutral and therefore does nothing to tame the HD800's highs. I really prefer not to buy a dac/amp that acts as an absurdly expensive EQ preset, but it seems the general view around head-fi is that this is the norm.

If you can do a parametric EQ that should be even better.  Makes me tempted to try this myself but I need to upgrade my DAC before buying any more headphones.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,267 of 2,860

Quote:
I know this is practically sacrilege around here, but has anyone tried software EQing down the treble, with the NFB10 and HD800? It seems the only complaints about the NFB10 with the HD800 is due to the fact that the NFB10 is dead neutral and therefore does nothing to tame the HD800's highs. I really prefer not to buy a dac/amp that acts as an absurdly expensive EQ preset, but it seems the general view around head-fi is that this is the norm.

No, it's because, IMO, the 10se is bright, not neutral.  Bright DAC/Amp with bright headphones = ears bleeding.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #2,268 of 2,860
I don't have bright phones so I can't really say how bright the 10SE are, but compared to the Audinst HUD-MX1, the 10SE is slightly warmer. According to Mike from headfonia, he says the Audinst is pretty neutral. I don't have much other gear to compare with but from memory the Audinst were significantly less bright in comparison to the iBasso D10 I had a while back. I think Mike has reviewed the NFB-12 in comparison to the Audinst so I guess you can go from there.

Also I just reterminated my LCD-2.1s to balanced and this combination sounds pretty darn good!

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #2,269 of 2,860
After a lot of consideration, I finally join the party. I ordered my NFB10-SE with the DI + TCXO clock upgrade in this last day of sales.

I am using the FUN with HD650 and always borrow my colleague's Audiophilleo 2 to feed from my PC. Honestly, the Audiophilleo 2 brings the FUN to an unprecedential level. The background is very dark and everything is extremely clear. Wow, I don't know my FUN could reach this level. It is really a magic box to me, a very pricey magic box though. Pardon me that I have no chance to listen good cans and equipments, my opinion is just my thought.

I know that DI would not be as good as that, but Darko's review said that it is good enough for a poor guy like me. Besides, I could save $31.95 for the DI if I buy that with my NFB10-SE together. I consider this is a good bargain.

Too bad I think too much and act too late, I cannot get it before the chinese new year. I cannot wait to compare it with my partial modded FUN, especially to go for the full-balanced HD650. It might be also interesting to compare the Audiophilleo 2 with the DI.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #2,271 of 2,860

Quote:
Fourwed - I tried to order one for the last 4 days of the sale and they never answered at the email address listed on the website (audio-gd@126.com). Did you use the address on the site or another method?

Some time the 126.com will block the email. If without reply more than 24 hours, please send to king-wa@hotmail.com
Thanks.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,273 of 2,860
Quote:
I don't have bright phones so I can't really say how bright the 10SE are, but compared to the Audinst HUD-MX1, the 10SE is slightly warmer. According to Mike from headfonia, he says the Audinst is pretty neutral. I don't have much other gear to compare with but from memory the Audinst were significantly less bright in comparison to the iBasso D10 I had a while back. I think Mike has reviewed the NFB-12 in comparison to the Audinst so I guess you can go from there.

Also I just reterminated my LCD-2.1s to balanced and this combination sounds pretty darn good!

So where do you think the NFB10se-HD800 sibilance is coming from? Do you think the NFB10se is just uncovering a sibilance in the HD800, or is the HD800 revealing something wrong with the NFB10se?

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2,274 of 2,860
In my experience the HD800s are not a good match on the NFB10. The HD800s sound unpleasantly bright, thin in the midrange and bass light when under amped. I however havent tried the NFB10SE only the NFB10WM and NFB10ES neither were to my liking on the HD800s.

Regards

Macrog

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2,275 of 2,860
Quote:
So where do you think the NFB10se-HD800 sibilance is coming from? Do you think the NFB10se is just uncovering a sibilance in the HD800, or is the HD800 revealing something wrong with the NFB10se?

I'm not quite sure but I am kind of wondering the same thing since I was thinking of getting the HE-500 and amping them with the 10SE also.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #2,276 of 2,860
UGHN wish the SE came with a BNC socket, trying to order a 75 Ohm panel mount BNC in Australia is a major PITA.  There is no room to do the Neutrik screw/plate recessed BNC either. 

This part seems to be the go: http://www.neutrik.com/en/bnc/cable-jacks-panel-version/nbb75si

Seems pretty high quality, might ask if anyone has spares on the classifieds.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2,277 of 2,860
That's another reason I like the -10 ES better, it has a BNC connection on it.  But you could always just use an adapter - I think you'd still come out ahead from not using a BNC connected cable at all.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #2,278 of 2,860
When I sold the ES I was just finding it way too dry - but just after I sold it I realised I was using SPDIF with too high voltage.  Never mind though will probably sell SE eventually also.  

HAHA wish I worked that out before I sold so I could test if the SPDIF voltage was the problem, but my guess is that the Sabre is naturally on the dry side?

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,279 of 2,860

Quote:
UGHN wish the SE came with a BNC socket, trying to order a 75 Ohm panel mount BNC in Australia is a major PITA.  There is no room to do the Neutrik screw/plate recessed BNC either. 

This part seems to be the go: http://www.neutrik.com/en/bnc/cable-jacks-panel-version/nbb75si

I cannot hear a difference between BNC/RCA on my Ref-8 dac, I doubt you would with the 10SE. The DSP-1 may be a factor though, I don't know.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,280 of 2,860

Quote:

IMHO, BNC is straightly 75ohm and the sound would be clearer if you use all BNC from connector, cable to receptacle. Adding an adapter will change the ohm and it is not recommended technically. I wish there is a BNC receptacle too.

I replace the Coaxial RCA in my FUN with Canare BCJ-R/1 and it looks better than the Neutrik. To match with it, I replace the Coaxial RCA in my PC and use all BNC connectors and 75ohm cable.

http://www.canare.com/UploadedDocuments/Cat11_p19.pdf

According to king_wa, he uses Canare DNC receptacle in his gears too.

The Coaxial sounds better than SPDIF in my FUN, I seldom use it. Perhaps it might be different in the NFB10-SE / NFB10-ES

Users who are viewing this thread

Back