Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #1,876 of 2,860
Just a note for people looking at doing the low-gain mod - I often use grado's on my -10 without issue and I've never had to use the low gain setting at all. I've never tested it with iem's but probably never will.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,877 of 2,860

Just tried with my SE535. I am at 3-4 on volume on low gain with the -7dB low gain mod.
Quote:
Just a note for people looking at doing the low-gain mod - I often use grado's on my -10 without issue and I've never had to use the low gain setting at all. I've never tested it with iem's but probably never will.

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #1,879 of 2,860
Quote:
its all good, reterminating is pretty easy. cardas solder makes it easy

My plan is to re-terminate.  I've got plenty of experience with a soldering iron.  I just want to make sure I'm not going to take advantage of the 30 return policy on the HE-500's first.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,880 of 2,860
Just out of interest I have started playing with using the high gain output setting on the NFB-10 SE to drive my LCD-2.2 and I have convinced myself that I hear better (cleaner and more even) decay and an overall slightly more taught sound from the high gain setting.  Does anyone else have any input here?

EDIT: oops swapped the E with the S.  I can see myself doing this a few time lol.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #1,881 of 2,860
I always listened with high gain.  With volume being the same, I do think high gain sounds slightly better.  So my experience agrees with yours.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,882 of 2,860
I compared the single ended output of the 10SE in high and low gain through the LCD-2 and HD650. An SPL meter with a CD spacer at the end of the mic (to enclose the pads) was used to volume match. If there's a difference between the gain modes, it was too subtle for me to perceive.

In balanced mode, I mainly listened to the LCD-2 in low gain for the finer adjustment on the volume control. Where a recording's dynamic compression (or lack thereof) allowed it though, high gain seemed to have a touch more authority and slam in balanced mode. I didn't bother measuring this though and the difference could certainly be the lack of precise volume matching.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #1,883 of 2,860
yea, my guess is the difference is caused by how hard it is to match volume. Even being only slightly off will make a large perception change.  Gain change shouldn't do anything besides change where you are on the volume control and Kingwa has stated he makes no other change to the circuit/

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,885 of 2,860
Hi Zeddley, the 10ES fares "quite well" compared to the 160, or vice versa? Or you meant there were about as good as each other?

Any more specific impressions to share about how they differed and/or were similar?

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,887 of 2,860
Im in the same boat as you Stereodude.

Today hooked up the 10Se, SBT and HE500s for the first time. Only had low bitrate mp3s in the office to use (via USB) but even that sounded good. Can't wait for my qaudio cables to arrive and to play FLAC files. Early Xmas is good Xmas! 

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,888 of 2,860

Quote:
Im in the same boat as you Stereodude.

Today hooked up the 10Se, SBT and HE500s for the first time. Only had low bitrate mp3s in the office to use (via USB) but even that sounded good. Can't wait for my qaudio cables to arrive and to play FLAC files. Early Xmas is good Xmas! 

how much do u like the he500's? also from 1 to 10.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,890 of 2,860
Quote:

Who did you buy the HE500's from and which cable came with them?  After the thick Cardas cable apparently some shipped with a HE6 like OCC cable (without the 4-pin XLR) and later shipments have a silver cable.

Early Christmas rocks!
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back