Audio-gd NFB-10
Jun 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #976 of 2,860

Quote:
For those that got the 80M TCXO upgrade, was it just a matter of pulling the old clock out and sticking the new clock in? I looked inside mine and it doesn't look like it was socketed in, but I could be wrong.

It requires desoldering the old XO and the some wires connecting to the digital board which prevent you from accessing the bottom of the board, then you solder the new XO and the wires.

The desoldering part is actually harder, you will need a pump action solder "sucker" to remove the hot solder.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #977 of 2,860
Ahh...that's what I figured. Not that I have a problem with soldering, But I think I'm gonna wait a while before I start messing with it. 
happy_face1.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #978 of 2,860
I have the NFB-10WM on the way and plan to also use it as a DAC for my WA6 for now (plan to upgrade to WA22 later).  Does it make a difference if I use XLR out or SE out to the WA6? 

TIA

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #979 of 2,860
^ XLR will be considerably louder, have a lower SNR than SE and usually benefits from common mode noise rejection. It's technically superior to SE so you should expect a small increase in sound quality. Definitely worth the cost of the IC's - there's little point in purchasing balanced gear if you aren't going to utilise it.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #981 of 2,860
Ok I see.  I already got a decent set of SE ICs to use. 
Thanks for the help Wulvy.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #983 of 2,860
nm, I see that was mentioned a couple of weeks ago - I must have been viewing a very stale page.  I've been interested in checking this model out so I'm still curious about what happened.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #984 of 2,860
I emailed kingwa regarding the availability of the nbf-10ES ... he stated that it was unfortunately not available for order and only the WM version was now available.

Ohh well ... if the ES version was around I probably would have picked it up.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #985 of 2,860
Yes it is a shame but this unit is not the be-all-and-end-all off headphone audio.  The ES is also rather bright out of the headphone amp so it limits which headphones sound tolerable.
For more than double the cost you can pair one of the standalone ES DAC's with a Phoenix, or keep an eye on the FS section...

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #986 of 2,860
Hello,

I'm thinking about purchasing the NFB-10WM to use with my HD580 (and possibly other cans in the future). I would then reterminate my HD650 cable with a 4-pin XLR plug. I was reading the instructions on how to do it on Audio GD website:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm

and it kind of doesn't add up. Haven't they confused male plugs with the females (just in the text)? For example:
3,Wrap some tape on the wire, then spruce the end of the wire in a way that you have enough length of wire to attach the male 4 pins plug.
and
7,Use the same method as above and solder the female 4pins plug to the end of the cable from the headphone.
The way I understand these connectors is that I should end up with two cables:
HEADPHONES --> MALE XLR (for example Neutrik NC4MX, not FX)
FEMALE XLR --> MALE 1/4" JACK
And that the male plug is the one with four pins inside a steel tube. Am I correct?

And on a more interesting note, has anybody tried this configuration (NFB-10WM with balanced Sennheisers)? Any impressions?

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #988 of 2,860
after hearing so much praise for NFB-10ES, anyone have any comments regarding the NFB-10WM?

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #990 of 2,860
for all NFB-10WM owners, which SPDIF module did you guys choose? DIR9001 or WM8805?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back