Audio-gd NFB-10
Mar 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #751 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know what gain setting I should be using with HD 650? It seems like the high gain setting, but not sure.

try both and see?

>No idea how they expect to sell at that price. Isn't it much cheaper direct from GD?

yep, about 1325+shipping-890
biggrin.gif
= so 435 + shipping. I suppose they have stock on hand, but at 1.5 times the price...

Not sure if Into Audio NZ is still in business. I never received a reply to an email I sent recently. I wish Audio-GD had an Australian distributor.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #752 of 2,860
Not sure if Into Audio NZ is still in business. I never received a reply to an email I sent recently. I wish Audio-GD had an Australian distributor.

ummm, it's probably worth nothing that 1325 NZD = 998 USD :D which I may have forgot to take into account in the post above.

M, would be nice if we had a local distributor with stock and low prices... Probably won't happen though. Be good if someone like COEM audio picks it up.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #753 of 2,860
don't you just love how the price of everything inflates the moment it arrives in Australia.  It must really suck to be a local retailer.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #755 of 2,860

Quote:
I have NFB10ES and use low gain (+0db) for my HD600. I assume the amp sections of both ES and WM are identical. With low gain, I turned the volumn control knob to 10-11 o'clock when I drove my HD600 single end and now 9-10 o'clock with balanced cable.

There is a gain setting?!  I have an ES with the ROC chasis and there's no gain option!  I always thought it was auto adjust for gain...

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #756 of 2,860

You can see the gain button just to the left of the volume knob on my unit. When the button is pressed in, it selects the higher gain. When the button is depressed, it switches to the lower gain. On my unit my HD 650 reach comfortable listening volumes at 9 am in high gain and about 1-2pm in low gain.

Quote:
There is a gain setting?!  I have an ES with the ROC chasis and there's no gain option!  I always thought it was auto adjust for gain...

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #759 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a switch at the back, in from and next to the R-Channel inputs? 

I will have to see when I get back to my place. I am damn sure there is no gain button in front though.

If you have no vents on the top, then you have the same chassis as mine and the switch is at the back. O = Low gain,  I = high. As there is no manual I emailed Kingwa, who put me straight. Well I thought it was the on/off switch 
redface.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #760 of 2,860

Quote:

You can see the gain button just to the left of the volume knob on my unit. When the button is pressed in, it selects the higher gain. When the button is depressed, it switches to the lower gain. On my unit my HD 650 reach comfortable listening volumes at 9 am in high gain and about 1-2pm in low gain.

Wow 1-2 pm on low gain???
blink.gif
  My HD650 would be unbearably painful at that volume and I would almost certainly get tinnitus. In low gain setting the most I ever go is 10:00. Anything more than that and I get headache. Guess my ears are pretty sensitive
redface.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #761 of 2,860
Is it possible I got low and high gain mixed up? On one of the settings it is ready to obliterate my eardrums past 9 am. The other setting is much quieter and takes much more of the dial. In that setting it is still pretty quiet with the dial at noon. I usually listen between 70-80db. I have measured a few times.

Quote:
Wow 1-2 pm on low gain???
blink.gif
  My HD650 would be unbearably painful at that volume and I would almost certainly get tinnitus. In low gain setting the most I ever go is 10:00. Anything more than that and I get headache. Guess my ears are pretty sensitive
redface.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #762 of 2,860
That just doesn't seems right to me. Even with my DT990 (600ohm), I can never stand the sound volumn after 12:00 with low gain and single end.

Quote:
Is it possible I got low and high gain mixed up? On one of the settings it is ready to obliterate my eardrums past 9 am. The other setting is much quieter and takes much more of the dial. In that setting it is still pretty quiet with the dial at noon. I usually listen between 70-80db. I have measured a few times.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #764 of 2,860
It's worth pointing out that my volume varies all over the place when playing lossless files in Foobar 2000, which is strange because that didn't seem to be the case anywhere near as much with my Nuforce Icon HDP. The next album I listened to after posting about listening at 1-2pm was loud at 10 am and would be painful if I took it to 11 am. It seems weird that one album will be dramatically louder than another and other etc. I didn't change any settings in Foobar either.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #765 of 2,860
Has anyone directly compared the NFB-10's USB input directly against a Hiface? The usb input on my NFB-10WM does really well, but I'm wondering how much room there is for improvement with a Hiface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back