Audio-gd NFB-10
Mar 23, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #736 of 2,860
Oh the sentence I intended to wrtie about the K701 being the lowest impedance headphone I own didn't make it in my previous post. I didn't realise they were quite so difficult to drive, but I'll take your word for it. Was just offering my personal experience. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #737 of 2,860

Quote:
Hi drez.

I resoldered the cardas twopinconnector and now the cable is working perfectly.

One must have in mind that it is really two different things I am detecting and it isn't possible to adress it precisely (a completely new type of cable and balanced!). ...But I can give You the experience as it is... with the new balanced cable and a very important note is: Up to this moment I have only been using ny NFB-10ES through the USB-interface, qich has its ristriction. The NFB-10 will most likely sound better using Coax-in. I have been using blended quality music during a approx 350 h burn in and the impressions belov is based on high quality musicrecording in 24 bit/96kHz.

The HD650 doesn't sound bad at all even single ended and I could abolutely have lived with it...but after reading so many positive impressions at this forum it wasn't much to hesitate over.. Just get the parts and build it... And that is also my advice to all if having or are getting the NFB-10. ..Well the main difference running it balanced is that You will get "more of everything". ..more space in general, more details and definition, more air around the instruments and the musicians. I think something good happens to the SNR when You run it balanced... The background is more silent(blacker) compared to single ended. The dynamic is also more direct and very present and the microdetails as sublime sounds from fingers touching the strings on a guitar, conductor turning a page in the partiture, the shirt making sound when a musician is stretching after something between parts of the music... You will get the aura of the very room where the music is recorded. You are there! You can point out where each and every instrument/musician are sitting. Even the height difference between the players are revealed.You can almost touch them. If the drummer is located on a small stage,reffering to the other musicians. Thing like that makes me happy and it opens up another level in the listening for me.

My best experiences with high fi/end musicreproduction are with analogue sources...and it propably still will be for a longer time.. The digital technique have evolved well over the years I think, as all new technologies need to, to be as good as the predecessor was/is. With that said I must say that Kingwa has done a great job with this NFB-10 dac/pre. In my case I choosed the ES-version and I was lucky enough to get it with the USB-input.

I will later on test it in my main rig with high end amps and electrostatic speakers.. but that is possible when I have expanded our livingspace in our new home so until then I will enjoy my NFB-10ES with my balanced HD650.

I hope this will give You a little clearer picture.. Thanks for reading.

/Jan

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself (that's great)
normal_smile%20.gif
You've pretty much nailed the SQ description of the HD650's when going from the stock SE'd cable to running them balanced with a quality cable. I couldn't have added anything more...you have it nailed to a T.

The quality level of source begins to take on new meaning (both source material and quality of transport) once you've gotten to this level of sound reproduction coming out of your headphones (the 650's improve dramatically with competent HQ balanced operation). You are going to like what you hear from your amp/stats setup ...IMO A-gd makes superb preamps (and amps) for speaker based rigs. I love the Phoenix in my main rig (preamp duties, not that the head amp section is a slouch by any means).

I use my A-gd front end (the REF gear) with my speaker rig and a much more modest rig (modded FUN in dac mode to a C-2C) with the computer (when listening to the HD650's). A nicely built 4 pin to SE'd adapter takes care of the connection differences between rigs. My DIY cable uses 4 x 24 awg silver plated solid core copper (in Teflon) cables (7ft roughly) with a nice micro mesh nylon covering (which is less micro-phonic than regular techflex). Same Cardas Senn connectors and the usual 4 pin Neutrik (silver plated pins). I had bought the cable originally from a Head Fi member but I had to take it apart and re-solder the Cardas connectors...all four solder joints were cold...(and a mess). I decided to dump the 2 dollar 1/4 inch for a quality Furutech. As soon as I redid the Cardas connectors the cable finally lived up to it's previous billing (IMO). SQ improved quite a bit. I have started to use Johnson eutectic solder (lead free) It's got a high amount of silver in it (4.7%) and flows quite easily. I noticed it gave a slightly better result than my old standby ...Kester 60/40 although I can't be 100% certain of it...anyway I'm getting OT here (again)...
redface.gif

Congrats on the new gear and the very informative description of your experience. That was enjoyable to read (for a change).

Peete.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #739 of 2,860
Thanks Peete.

More OT I'm afraid..

I haven't had so much reason to  or intrest in listening to music in headphones before. Listening to beautiful music through a good "signal to speakersetup" have been an important part of my life for many years, though. I have designed and built alot of amplifiers through the years an gathered some knowledge of different "materials" behavior in different places in a circuit. You could call it body of knowledge. In my case I fell in love with the high fi/end-world rather early... I have sensitive ears and can hear very small differences.. It's both a gift and a curse, really. I started to learn electronics and almost imediate started develope my own circuits. During that time I tried the components I came over or run into...and realized they give very diversed sonic result or signature if You like. I also realised that some component that didn't measurre that well could sound fantastic in a certain position in the circuit. I didn't have much of a budget that days, so a was delighted when I got 1000$-sound from "scrap-amp". I have modified uncountable amps as well, based on my experiences. I also realized that there is a dilemma between measurementsresults and the soundquality. Enough of that but thought I should give a small background of me.

Yes I agree about the value of the quality of the sources when the gear "reveals everything". About Kingwa's gear I think he is a very skilled designer both aestethics as getting out the best of the circuits. I also like when he talks about this measurement-SQdilemma. I trust a guy that have the currage to tell the audience that. The NFB- (No feedback) design sounds very good and I have put in an order of a Master-1 preamp that will serve in my mainrig later. I thought nfb should slow down the speed/reaction (slew rate and damping factor) and make it dull but I was very wrong.

Best regards

/Jan

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #740 of 2,860
I cant resist trying balanced DX".  I send Kingwa an email to order the NFB-10WM, and will send Burson an email that I no longer wish to order the HA-160D, even if it could possibly be better for single ended use.  Time to unsubscribe the Burson thread lest I dither on my decision any longer.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #741 of 2,860
Mine is on the truck for delivery right now. What a long day at work...

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #742 of 2,860
My unboxing...I have to say this thing feels higher quality than I was expecting from the pictures. Build quality really seems excellent and the chassis is fantastic. Very good initial impressions. I'll post sound quality impressions within the next couple of days once I burn it in some and can do some critical listening. Also, this thing arrived in to my door exactly one week after ordering from Pacific Valve and it has all of their warranties and support.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #743 of 2,860
My unboxing...I have to say this thing feels higher quality than I was expecting from the pictures. Build quality really seems excellent and the chassis is fantastic. Very good initial impressions. I'll post sound quality impressions within the next couple of days once I burn it in some and can do some critical listening. Also, this thing arrived in to my door exactly one week after ordering from Pacific Valve and it has all of their warranties and support.

*drool*. mine will allegedly be shipped next week. Guess pacific valve's mark up gives you chance to get a unit without waiting for the build, if they have stock. Waiting for impressions.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #745 of 2,860
The funny thing is there wasn't really a markup. It sells for $780 directly from Audio-gd, but shipping is listed there for $76 unless I'm misinterpreting that. That brings you to exactly the same price as Pacific Valve, which was free shipping and has a lot of product support within the US. I think their margin comes from their wholesale volume discounts and mass shipping rather than from a markup.

It's too bad I only have a point and click camera. I'll try and get better shots with more light.

@domho7 - thanks. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have as I get more familiar with the unit.
Quote:
Quote:

*drool*. mine will allegedly be shipped next week. Guess pacific valve's mark up gives you chance to get a unit without waiting for the build, if they have stock. Waiting for impressions.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #746 of 2,860
The funny thing is there wasn't really a markup. It sells for $780 directly from Audio-gd, but shipping is listed there for $76 unless I'm misinterpreting that. That brings you to exactly the same price as Pacific Valve, which was free shipping and has a lot of product support within the US. I think their margin comes from their wholesale volume discounts and mass shipping rather than from a markup.

It's too bad I only have a point and click camera. I'll try and get better shots with more light.

@domho7 - thanks. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have as I get more familiar with the unit.

ah, I see. I presumed that US distrib was like Aus/NZ distrib, where the final price is a magical 1325 + shipping :D http://www.intoaudio.co.nz/?q=node/23

p.s. yes you have massive flash flares, just take it outside in a shade lol :D

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #747 of 2,860
Quote:
ah, I see. I presumed that US distrib was like Aus/NZ distrib, where the final price is a magical 1325 + shipping
biggrin.gif
http://www.intoaudio.co.nz/?q=node/23

p.s. yes you have massive flash flares, just take it outside in a shade lol
biggrin.gif

No idea how they expect to sell at that price.  Isn't it much cheaper direct from GD?

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #748 of 2,860
Does anyone know what gain setting I should be using with HD 650? It seems like the high gain setting, but not sure.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #749 of 2,860
Does anyone know what gain setting I should be using with HD 650? It seems like the high gain setting, but not sure.

try both and see?

>No idea how they expect to sell at that price. Isn't it much cheaper direct from GD?

yep, about 1325+shipping-890 :D = so 435 + shipping. I suppose they have stock on hand, but at 1.5 times the price...

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #750 of 2,860
I have NFB10ES and use low gain (+0db) for my HD600. I assume the amp sections of both ES and WM are identical. With low gain, I turned the volumn control knob to 10-11 o'clock when I drove my HD600 single end and now 9-10 o'clock with balanced cable.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back