Audio-gd NFB-10
Mar 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #676 of 2,860

Quote:
My NFB10ES finally arrived. I am listening it via Foobar 2000 KS out > Digital Interface coax out > NFB10ES. It's been couple hours listening and this thing changed dramatically. At the begining I tought it's detailed but lifeless sound. Than it get shine after warming up. Pitch black background, detailed crisp highs. Not too much bass as I like it but still colder sound signature compared to my dac19dsp. Dac19's sound was definitely more analog like. But these are very early impressions off course and comes from my k702 via single ended connection (balanced cable not finished yet). Btw I didn't change anything on digital interface (eg. upsampling, 96/192 khz). Still I can definitely live this unit as this condition. Great equipment for the price!

You should try 96khz upsample if you have the tcxo upgrade for your digital interface, it makes the sound warmer/smoother and I rather prefer it for most content. Also, I think you will notice the bass of the NFB-10 improve a lot with burn in if you think it has "not too much bass".

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #677 of 2,860
I have digital interface without tcxo upgrade but I will try upsample mods anyway. Actually bass quantity is not much important for me because I always prefer flatter sound. But I like detailed sharp bass and I hope it will improve as you mentioned somestranger26. Btw digital interface doesn't work via Asio4all and working false wasapi either. Is there a trick I missed?

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #679 of 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Fun + Parasound Zamp for my speaker rig and amp thinking of a serious upgrade to an NFB-10ES + Decware Taboo.

Hah, that has been my plan for a new budget headphone/speaker system. Ever since I heard about the NFB-10 series with built in fully balanced outs, it got me all excited about trying the balanced route again. 
biggrin.gif

Ordered NFB-10ES from Pacific Valve, but looks like it won't be available til mid-late April. Seems to be a better deal to order domestically, to save on shipping from China. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #680 of 2,860
I am getting a balanced Beyerdynamic DT880/600ohms, and was wondering if the Audio GD NFB-10 will have good synergy with it, and if so which version (WM or ES)? I'm currently leaning towards the WM for its USB input, but if the ES gives a much better performance I suppose I'll use a USB-SPDIF converter. Any idea guys?

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #681 of 2,860

Quote:
I am getting a balanced Beyerdynamic DT880/600ohms, and was wondering if the Audio GD NFB-10 will have good synergy with it, and if so which version (WM or ES)? I'm currently leaning towards the WM for its USB input, but if the ES gives a much better performance I suppose I'll use a USB-SPDIF converter. Any idea guys?

I'm not sure on the sound signature differences between the NFB-10WM and NFB-10ES, but if it's anything like the NFB-11 (ES) vs NFB-12 (WM), the WM version will be preferable for the DT880 and other "bright" headphones in general.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #682 of 2,860

Quote:

I don't find it too bright with the ES version.  Although I'm not using the balance output, I do plan to balance mine soon.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #683 of 2,860
Quote:

Kingwa said the ES will seem bright with bright HP.

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #684 of 2,860
When are you getting it balanced ohgourami? Would be interested to see your impressions if it's overly bright with the ES after being balanced.

Quote:
I don't find it too bright with the ES version.  Although I'm not using the balance output, I do plan to balance mine soon.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #685 of 2,860

Quote:
When are you getting it balanced ohgourami? Would be interested to see your impressions if it's overly bright with the ES after being balanced.

As soon as I get myself a soldering iron, order connectors and solder.  Probably by next week at the earliest.  I gotta study for finals so I don't have time to do anything else.  Sorry.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #686 of 2,860
No worries, let us know your impressions when you're done. Good luck with your finals :)

Quote:
As soon as I get myself a soldering iron, order connectors and solder.  Probably by next week at the earliest.  I gotta study for finals so I don't have time to do anything else.  Sorry.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #687 of 2,860

Quote:
No worries, let us know your impressions when you're done. Good luck with your finals :)

Sorry I might not be able to help on this as I think more about it now.  I was looking at soldering irons and they cost so much...  I know they are a good investment but it's a bit too much at this time while I'm saving up for a pair of HE-6...

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #689 of 2,860
Soldering irons are expensive? What sort of souped up soldering iron are you looking at? You can practically get them for free on eBay. Are they temperature controlled wonders of the modern world? No. Do they do everything you need them to do (and then some), without any drawbacks of any consequence whatsoever? Yes. Get a cheap 30W iron of eBay and you're all set (they come in useful kits).

Best,
Adam

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #690 of 2,860
I was looking at soldering stations which go for ~$100.  Either way I went to my local home depot and got a $30 Weller soldering iron.  Ordering all the parts I need right now.  Looks like everyone can look forward to a DT880 600ohm review on the NFB-10ES with balanced cable. 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back