Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #271 of 286
Hi,

I posted this in the DAC-19 thread but thought I would post here as it's probably more pertinent and wondering if anyone had any thoughts ... 

"So I performed the side grade from DAC-19 to NOS-19 using the dyi TCXO clock + capacitors shipped from Audio-GD. Upgraded firmware from DSPv7 to NOSv2 successfully. I was somewhat surprised that the sound is a little etchy/rough out of the gate ... I hope this really is the TCXO clock burning in! (On another TCXO clock upgrade page on agd site - "If you take the clock for upgrade, before sound compare, please burn in it. The clock burn in not myth, it is real effect the performance of the clock.”)

Well, I have let it run for 100 hours now and still the same. I was previously using the DAC-19 in NOS mode (upsampling in software) so by all measures and what Kingwa has stated, this should have been an improvement ... if you like the DAC-19 in NOS mode, then the NOS-19 should sound even better. Maybe I botched the soldering, though I would assume that it would either work or it wouldn't work ...

I am also using an SU-1 via I2S to the DAC/NOS-19 and wondering if the asynchronous clock in the NOS model is simply a big downgrade from the clocked output from the SU-1, and the re-clocking is making things worse not better. I guess I can try and go back."

What do you think about this? Is it possible that a bad solder is making the sound worse? Or is it possible that SU-1 -> I2S -> DAC-19 in NOS mode is that much better than SU-1 -> 12S -> NOS-19 because of the femto clock in SU-1?

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #272 of 286
Tcxo need independent low noise power.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #273 of 286
Wrong soldered pins-xo don't work -sound dull,no details

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #274 of 286
  Hi,

I posted this in the DAC-19 thread but thought I would post here as it's probably more pertinent and wondering if anyone had any thoughts ... 

"So I performed the side grade from DAC-19 to NOS-19 using the dyi TCXO clock + capacitors shipped from Audio-GD. Upgraded firmware from DSPv7 to NOSv2 successfully. I was somewhat surprised that the sound is a little etchy/rough out of the gate ... I hope this really is the TCXO clock burning in! (On another TCXO clock upgrade page on agd site - "If you take the clock for upgrade, before sound compare, please burn in it. The clock burn in not myth, it is real effect the performance of the clock.”)

Well, I have let it run for 100 hours now and still the same. I was previously using the DAC-19 in NOS mode (upsampling in software) so by all measures and what Kingwa has stated, this should have been an improvement ... if you like the DAC-19 in NOS mode, then the NOS-19 should sound even better. Maybe I botched the soldering, though I would assume that it would either work or it wouldn't work ...

I am also using an SU-1 via I2S to the DAC/NOS-19 and wondering if the asynchronous clock in the NOS model is simply a big downgrade from the clocked output from the SU-1, and the re-clocking is making things worse not better. I guess I can try and go back."

What do you think about this? Is it possible that a bad solder is making the sound worse? Or is it possible that SU-1 -> I2S -> DAC-19 in NOS mode is that much better than SU-1 -> 12S -> NOS-19 because of the femto clock in SU-1?

I tried my SU-1 stock with my NOS7 and it was pretty much as you described.. after changing the SU-1 power supply to either Uptone LPS-1 - or one of the better Teradak models followed by an iFi DC iPurifier - or a DIY ultracaps setup - the SU-1 calmed down a bit and the DAC can now make use of the extra detail that the SU-1 provides without the headaches I got previously... so not sure if this is relevant to your case, but if you are using the stock SU-1 supply and have something else laying around to try at 5V, you may want the go in that direction.

Like you, I originally had the Master 7, found that I preferred it in the 2X OS mode (NOS did not work for me) so changed to the NOS 7 and am very happy with the results... (I sent mine to the factory though to do the side-grade thing..)

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #275 of 286

I tried my SU-1 stock with my NOS7 and it was pretty much as you described.. after changing the SU-1 power supply to either Uptone LPS-1 - or one of the better Teradak models followed by an iFi DC iPurifier - or a DIY ultracaps setup - the SU-1 calmed down a bit and the DAC can now make use of the extra detail that the SU-1 provides without the headaches I got previously... so not sure if this is relevant to your case, but if you are using the stock SU-1 supply and have something else laying around to try at 5V, you may want the go in that direction.

Like you, I originally had the Master 7, found that I preferred it in the 2X OS mode (NOS did not work for me) so changed to the NOS 7 and am very happy with the results... (I sent mine to the factory though to do the side-grade thing..)

Thanks for the suggestion. It's unclear to me why a different LPS == reduced noise would be more of a factor with the NOS clock/dsp vs DAC-19. Are you using SPDIF or I2S?

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #276 of 286

Thanks for the suggestion. It's unclear to me why a different LPS == reduced noise would be more of a factor with the NOS clock/dsp vs DAC-19. Are you using SPDIF or I2S?

Hi... i2s with a 0.3M older model Wireworld Starlight HDMI cable... This setup now beats my Tanly DDC, which was also i2s with the same cable.....

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #277 of 286
I tried my SU-1 stock with my NOS7 and it was pretty much as you described.. after changing the SU-1 power supply to either Uptone LPS-1 - or one of the better Teradak models followed by an iFi DC iPurifier - or a DIY ultracaps setup - the SU-1 calmed down a bit and the DAC can now make use of the extra detail that the SU-1 provides without the headaches I got previously... so not sure if this is relevant to your case, but if you are using the stock SU-1 supply and have something else laying around to try at 5V, you may want the go in that direction

How can you connect a SU-1 to a Teradak power supply?
I see no inputs that can be used to connect them together.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #278 of 286
How can you connect a SU-1 to a Teradak power supply?
I see no inputs that can be used to connect them together.

Hi, sorry about the confusion - I had my SU-1 modded for this.. The output section of the SU-1 board has a small 2-pin connector for the power. I had someone make a wire from this board connector to a standard DC jack placed on the back plate. I am not sure a standard Teradak DC30 style PS is any better than the stock SU-1 PS, but my guess is that using an iFi DC iPurifier in line would give a noticeable sound change. I am using a slightly better TeraDak (with iFi DC iPurifier) than the standard TeraDak DC30 model and that is way better than the stock SU-1.

I also use Teradak DC30's  with iPurifiers in other locations and think it is a pretty good combo for the money invested.

Note that I use a power regenerator. In the past I have briefly compared the regenerator/TeraDak/iPurifier combo vs. the Uptone LPS-1 powering the output side of the SU-1 and both sounded very similar and both fixed the harshness problem I had using the stock SU-1 PS. Also note that my speakers are not linear in the highs and probably have an in-room rise at least 3db at 10K (maybe even another peak at 7K) so I am sure in many systems the SU-1 will be fine without any modding of the PS necessary.  

There are other discussions about upgrading the SU-1 PS here and I think also over at CA... and Kitstune (the USA SU-1 distributor) also offer$ an upgrade..

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #279 of 286
Honest question for you guys, I've got an NFB10ES2 that I really like and I'm curious as to what might suite me better as an upgrade

the Master 11 or the NOS 11? I had a NOS PCm 1704 dac in my HM 801 that I REALLY loved, and I like my NFB10ES2 but I also like the "Vintage" filter on my HM 901, so I'm wondering would a NOS 11 suite me better 

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #280 of 286

​NFB1 (2015)computer taste robotic sabre  sound,
Nos7 more real,can long long time listening

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #281 of 286
  Honest question for you guys, I've got an NFB10ES2 that I really like and I'm curious as to what might suite me better as an upgrade

the Master 11 or the NOS 11? I had a NOS PCm 1704 dac in my HM 801 that I REALLY loved, and I like my NFB10ES2 but I also like the "Vintage" filter on my HM 901, so I'm wondering would a NOS 11 suite me better 

You will hear the warmer sound with Nos11 when moving from ESS9018 Dac but after that you can realize the sound on Nos11 is more realistic and comfortable for long listening.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #282 of 286

Get a Master 11 Singularity. It's a know fact Kingwa will upgrade firmware this year to make possible NOS implementation as is now on the NOS 11. You can choose which implementation suits you best with just a jumper switch, with better hardware implementation (Singularity). Best of both worlds, you just have to be patient.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #283 of 286

Get a Master 11 Singularity. It's a know fact Kingwa will upgrade firmware this year to make possible NOS implementation as is now on the NOS 11. You can choose which implementation suits you best with just a jumper switch, with better hardware implementation (Singularity). Best of both worlds, you just have to be patient.

Good point, I'll most likely go that route, as I'm not ready to jump to that price point

I had a NOS dac in my hm 801 and the tone was amazing as was the sound stage! Though I did find the HM 901 and the NFB10ES2 to be... better. Still I have no doubts about a NOS dac  coming from ESS 

So hopefully, word of that Master 11 Singularity with a NOS implementation is the win win that I need 

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #285 of 286
Hay. Im new to this NOS upgrade.

I have a quite old Master 7 (DSPv5 upgraded to DSP v7) no Amanero and RJ45 i2s. I want to upgrade the Master 7 to NOS7.
I got a Picture from Kingwa with instructions.

Is this all you have to do except upgrade the firmware? (i have USB blaster and familiar with the upgrade)

What part number is the clock to solder there? Possible to buy from Mouser?

Is this is working well i will on a laster stage look for a cleaner 3.3v supply for the clock as you guys have written here in this thread.
Feel free to post pictures of the inside of your Master 7 that is upgraded to NOS7 :)

Thank you :)

M7M11step2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back