Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Jun 25, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #64 of 286

- In the instructions provided by kingwa, it states that if we want to revert to the Master series firmware we have pay USD30. Is there a way to backup the old firmware before upgrade to NOS firmware?

- No you cannot backup or save current configuration of the Cyclone chip. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #65 of 286
I took the time to listen to the NOS 7 today and compare default (Mode 1) and Mode 2 (IPS0=ON)

I was curious and first impression was mode 2 was better in sense the soundstage was wider. This is the case but overall it isn't better in my view as low-end is not as tight and mid-high is little "harsh". Actually when I revert back to the default I felt this was clearly a step forward in quality.  For me the default (mode 1) is the way to go.

I have not tried PLL on/off, neither I have tried to use aynch mode 2. Last one is recommended in case your source isn't too good (jitter).

Feedback on PLL setting is welcome

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #66 of 286
I understand NOS will benefit.music like smooth jazz and acoustic assembles. But how about dance/funk music like "Gangnam Style" and "Uptown Funk"? Does the NOS 7 have enough speed and dynamic for those music comparing to the Master 7?

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #68 of 286
I have had a M7 and a NOS7 at home for a few days. Compared both using the i2s input via the audio-gd DI-2014 interface. the NOS 7 sounded clearly better than the M7, and it had only 50-60 hrs of burn in on it.
I have also compared the usb amanero to the i2s via di-2014 and here again the verdict was clearly in favour of the i2s. More transparent, less distortion, more details. In the next future I will do test with other interfaces, but so far NOS7 + di-2014 has given the best results.

Hi xrobbo, what hdmi cable did you use (Type, lenght) ? Have had the di2014 as well (via hdmi to master 7), but after upgrade to Amanero didn't see the advantage any more and simplified the configuration. As the hdmi cable plays critical part here I wonder if mine was suboptimal. Now with the fresh upgrade to NOS7 I wonder if the NOS7 might benefit more from the di2014 (or even better di-u8 ??).

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #69 of 286
Hi JoWi, just follow the instructions, it's a pretty simple modification. Keep in mind to follow the steps chronologically in order not to mess with the DSP.

I'm curious, is your Master 7 with standard DSP settings? Would be nice to read you comparisons after mod.

Regarding my impressions (compared to my previously Ref 5.32 in NOS mode), I agree with hifi-opinions.com review: basically the same animal in terms of character, but better in every aspect: more open and tall soundstage, better positioning, more detail, more coherent, better defined bass, very, very enjoyable...and with just 50 hours of burn-in. I'm really loving this upgrade so far.

Right now I'm still trying with the following settings: PLL 1, NOS 2, Neutral, ASYNCH 2. Will try different variables after burn-in.

Cheers,
Hi dcivera, have followed your advice (the again !) and downloaded the quartus software directly. Kingwa had sent me the firmware file and conversion to nos7 went problemfree. Initial impression is very good and is in line with the comments & reviews I'Ve seen so far. Settings : nos2, neutral, async 2, pll off currently my favourite

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #70 of 286
I understand NOS will benefit.music like smooth jazz and acoustic assembles. But how about dance/funk music like "Gangnam Style" and "Uptown Funk"? Does the NOS 7 have enough speed and dynamic for those music comparing to the Master 7?

I had the same concern, but I was thinking that it would be easy/better to do any desired additional oversampling in software via HQ Player or similar.
I listen to mostly progressive rock type stuff and preferred my M7 with the jumper settings set to warm (I think is 2x oversampling).
I just sent my M7 back to Audio GD for the change to NOS, hope to report back later next week.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments here.... 

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #71 of 286
Hi xrobbo, what hdmi cable did you use (Type, lenght) ? Have had the di2014 as well (via hdmi to master 7), but after upgrade to Amanero didn't see the advantage any more and simplified the configuration. As the hdmi cable plays critical part here I wonder if mine was suboptimal. Now with the fresh upgrade to NOS7 I wonder if the NOS7 might benefit more from the di2014 (or even better di-u8 ??).

Hi JoWi,
a standard HDMI cable, but very short, 30cm.
I actually upgraded to the NOS7 also with the expectation that it would free me from the need of an external digital interface thanks to a better usb card. Unfortunately this was not the case, so I kept the DI-2014. Next week I may try a di-U8 and give a report, although Kingwa has written me that the SQ of the two digital interfaces should be the same.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #72 of 286

Hi JoWi,
a standard HDMI cable, but very short, 30cm.
I actually upgraded to the NOS7 also with the expectation that it would free me from the need of an external digital interface thanks to a better usb card. Unfortunately this was not the case, so I kept the DI-2014. Next week I may try a di-U8 and give a report, although Kingwa has written me that the SQ of the two digital interfaces should be the same.

if u want the best eksternal usb you can try singxer f1 usb to coax converter. this is the best eksternal usb i tested . it better then even ifi iusb 3

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #73 of 286
here is some review of a various jumper setting in master 7 i think it's same with nos 7
the reviewer tested many jumper setting with different result

http://www.maartenvandruten.com/

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #75 of 286
  Not true. The Altera software includes this feature. At least two successful readouts are confirmed.
/J

Hi JaMo,
I just received my USB Blaster and did the hardware mod. But when I load up Quartus Programmer, I click Auto-Detect, I get the Altera EP2C8, but there no file under the device checksum. The examine box is greyed out also. Can you help me backup my original firmware? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back