Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
May 23, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #16 of 286
Hi, 

I have only used the Amanero Combo384 on all tested gears to have a unified and fair setup to compare. 

No Digital Interface.

I use my network libraries of music and play it through PiCorePlayers (Raspberry Pi's) via USB in all cases. My music libraries contains a lot of good recordings/qualities (16-44.1, 24-48, 24-88.2, 24-96, 24-176.2, 24-192, and a few recorings in 24-352 and 24-384 and very few in 32-384)

You have propably a good chance to push the performance further with advanced I2S-feeding.

I have tested a Teac transport via coax(RCA and BNC) listening to red book CD's and yes, they also sounds very good... I get better performance via my network.

/Jan 

May 24, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #17 of 286

Usb Blaster arrived,I wait for the code......

May 24, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 286

Hi hugoboss,
Many thanks for taking the time and effort for these reviews... I agree with the others that my Master 7 seemed to improve during burn-in and finally stabilize after about 300 hours or so...
If you get the chance, please let us know about the Amanero USB vs. the F-1 RCA SPDIF when in nos mode 2...

Hi all, 
So, I did the NOS-upgrade on my Master-7 as a tester, based on Audio-gd's advertised offering. The process was/is rather easy. So if You have some skills of soldering and are used to work with electronics in general, I think You should go for this upgrade and perform it Yourself. If You don't feel safe doing it, You should consider getting the help either from Audio-gd or from a more local helper.

Well I ordered the needed high quality/high stability TCXO from Audio-gd aswell as the USB-blaster from ebay. The software used was the one Audio-gd has a link to on their site. I followed the instructions and after the cutting- and soldering work I reprogrammed the Alter-CycloneII DSP with the new NOS-software from Audio-gd/Kingwa.

Up to now when writing this the NOS-7 has about 200 hours of burn-in-time. So I am very aware of the "Not yet fully burned in process!". And Yes, in my calculations I have about 40 percent before I get the full perforamnce.
In this/my case I have to be patient and wait for the new 98MHzTCXO to stabilize. I have owned the Master-7 for a few years and it has provided with approx. 3.5-4000h of service so the electronics has matured for sure and it is only the new TCXO I have to wait to get full service from. After more than 30 years of inventing, constructing and manufacturing audio-gear of various grades the higher grade audio gears I have work with sounds best after about 500 hours of burn in. This subject of burn in time needed or not..reappears now and then.. For me with my experience the 500h-mark is valid. Enough about that.

Back to the NOS-mod. 
I have a mix of audio-gd products to compare the NOS-7 to. The comparison stack contains Master-11 (4x PCM 1704uk), NFB-27H (ESS9018) and a NFB-28H(2016)(ESS 9018).

I use a pair of Master-2's poweramps and a couple of headphones, Hifiman HE-6 balanced, Sennheiser HD650 balanced, Fostex T50RP III modded and a few more.

Procedure: I use the M-11, NFB-27H and the NFB-28H2016 as preamps and as phoneamps. I have used the ACSS-cables between pre-poweramp. PiCorePlayers are used and are feeding the gear through USB (Amanero Combo384). Music material contains all kinds of qualities in Mp3, M4a, AAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF and DSD-material in NFB-27,-28 (DSF, DIFF)

I also only use the NOS 2 setup during the complete burn in process. (When it has stabilized, I will do thorough compare between NOS 1 and 2)
So..
1. With the Master-11 I get a very good compare to the original characteristic of the DSP software. (I use 8 x oversampling). The NOS 2 is already clearer and has more details. The soundstage is more or less equal at this state. The laid back feeling or effortless performance are true for both.  

2. The NFB-27H is a ESS SABRE ES9018-chip based dac that delivers a crisp, clear and a bit dry music-picture. Very high level of control. Distinct bass. This comparison is is hard. I refer to NOS 2 and I say death race at this state. The actual difference is the effortless feeling in the NOS-7. The ESS-dac has it all but in some way it cost You energy to concentrate and 
listen... In the NOS-7, You don't have to "meet the sound".. It just flows beautifully through the air and You smile before You know it.
3. The NFB-28H (2016) is also based on the ESS ES9018 and it is a bit annoying to accept that the amplifying sounds better in the NFB-28H than in the bigger brothers M-11 and NFB-27H. Beside this fact, the result is identical to the ones for the NFB-27H.

This is not even "halfway" and the result so far is very promising. 
A. The performace is improved big time compared to the original DSP-programming.
B. The NOS-7 performs very good up my highest tests with 24/32 and 384KHz
C. When playing DSD-material synchronised on all players the NOS-7 is auto-muted. (Very good feature, Thank You Kingwa)

The burn in continues and I am waiting for the soundscape to open up more with more ambience feeling, more precise placing of instruments and details and last but not least, more soul and presence. It will come, I know...

To be continued..

Jan

now my nos 7 is around 200 hours burning maybe more. it shining now real shine. iam still not receive my usb blaster yet maybe next week i will got that usb blaster. the sound now from the amanero usb is getting better , now compare to using f1 in coaxial seems like almost the same grade but different presentation

1. the treble high frequency is now more air with usb amanero
2. the dynamic attack still better with f1

iam still using nos mode 2 , i find these setting is very good at revealling details
i will update as soon as i received my new firmware and usb blaster
for now the sound quality is the best from all my dac collection!
Natural , Relaxing, Music flow easily

@ jamo iam very agree with your hearing test, the music in nos mode 2 is just like the music flow very easily very nice, relaxing

May 24, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 286
i also just fully upgraded my tube amp , changing all capacitor to mundorf supreme, and 2 black gate capacitor
plus internal wiring upgrade to silver gold neotech , wbt rca plug.

next will change all the resistor to amstran carbon film.
all i need is to compare from 0 again seems like so many changes now in my component

May 24, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #20 of 286
@ hugoboss:

My recommendation to You is to pause Your planned upgrades. I know it's hard to fight the impatience but every step You have planned will change the complete result and for me every and each components behavior is good information to add to Your "stock of knowledge"...So You know for sure what charactar You add to the mix. I have learned that: -The highest grade of components don't allways give You the best result.That's why one step at the time is a good idea.

Well it was my advice for what it's worth.It is Your choice, of course.

Best regards
/Jan

May 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #21 of 286
yeah that massive upgrade got me confused which upgrade is giving the better sound
but iam just to impatient, will finish the last update soon replacing all the ceramic tube socket to teflon tube socket and iec inlet wire to occ copper after that will start testing again from fresh.

the most extreme upgraded is bypassing the onboard rca input relay directly to the pcb.
so i lost all 5 input only can use 1 input line now. this is the advice from the person who doing all the soldering job for my upgrade.

May 25, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 286
Nos mode upgraded yesterday.I don't like.More analogy,tube sound.Audiophile recordings enjoyable,relaxing,almost boring.Simple recordings pop rock....sometimes terrible.
My modded M7 sound so transparent,micro detailed,deep-forward-wide-3d-round.After upgrade I lost a lot of advantage.
unmodified M7 vs Nos, nos can be win.

May 25, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 286
no,which jumper it is?

May 25, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #25 of 286
ahh picture here,i found.Can trial after work.

May 26, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 286

the most extreme upgraded is bypassing the onboard rca input relay directly to the pcb.
so i lost all 5 input only can use 1 input line now. this is the advice from the person who doing all the soldering job for my upgrade.

Can you explain in what this bypassing consists and how do you connect your transport to the dac?

May 26, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 286
Nos2 mode much better,

HQmusic.                                midQmusic

My m7.                            very good+transparent.              good+transparent

My m7 nos.                     very good+analog.                      terrible

May 26, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 286
Nos2 and classical music amazing

May 26, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #30 of 286
After one hours my system heat up,nos2better and better........ and better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back