Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Jul 30, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #106 of 286
Finished mod my ref 7 to be nos mode. difference is subtle but definitely there. Using NOS mode 2 in my setup definitely more relaxed and natural. I haven't installed amanero USB yet. can't wait to try that. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #107 of 286
Do you have photo of the mod I can use as reference? how is best to remove the top layer for the ground connect?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #108 of 286
I'll post a bit later but for my REF7 because it uses DSP-V5 board it doesn't need to have a new ground reference added

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #109 of 286
I've done the NOS upgrade to My reference 7. It's really straight forward. The sound really change to be flatter and more laid back which suits my setup well. pretty happy with the change. It's not a night and day difference but definitely noticeable.

I'll now share the how to step by step here

Here is the clock module already come with all the other caps and resistor installed
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2016/post-140123-0-50447300-1469863262.jpg

First step is to take out the DSP board and cut off 2 pin that is connected to the parts marked SCK. I put some tape over it to prevent short
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2016/post-140123-0-02292800-1469863345.jpg

Since the kit has all the parts soldered to the clock you only need to solder 3 parts. 2 of the leg to the points below
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2016/post-140123-0-01793500-1469863343.jpg

And 1 more solder of the wire to 3.3v point.
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2016/post-140123-0-81020700-1469863337.jpg

That is all connect the dsp board back to the ref 7 and follow the flashing instruction sent by KingWa. one note the USB flasher driver didn't get picked up automatically in windows 10 so you need to manually install them through device manager.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #111 of 286

%%%% Is anyone using the display auto-dark feature?
Yes

%%%% Is there any benefit for the sound quality?
No. While listening to music in a dimmed light room, the display won't be so distracting.

%%%% How does it work... goes dark after a few seconds and wakes up when using the remote?
Goes dark after about 8 sec - only a single horizontal bar left; wakes up on remote or any button on the panel.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #112 of 286
Reading this thread with great interest.

A question though: i have a AGD Nos 7 and i hear a rather loud noise when i switch between music numbers. Is this normal? I use the coaxial spdif input right now, but with optical connectio it's the same.
Source is a Cambridge 851N, but also with the Cambridge 752BD as source it's the same noise when switching.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #113 of 286
Reading this thread with great interest.

A question though: i have a AGD Nos 7 and i hear a rather loud noise when i switch between music numbers. Is this normal? I use the coaxial spdif input right now, but with optical connectio it's the same.
Source is a Cambridge 851N, but also with the Cambridge 752BD as source it's the same noise when switching.

Only the first few hours, it will gradually disappear along the burn-in progress.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #115 of 286
  %%%% Is anyone using the display auto-dark feature?
Yes

%%%% Is there any benefit for the sound quality?
No. While listening to music in a dimmed light room, the display won't be so distracting.

%%%% How does it work... goes dark after a few seconds and wakes up when using the remote?
Goes dark after about 8 sec - only a single horizontal bar left; wakes up on remote or any button on the panel.

How do you setup auto-dark feature?

thanks!

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #117 of 286
I am very much interested in the NOS 7.

I have some questions.

1. What are your thoughts on the NOS 11 vs. NOS 7, as I was looking for a pre-amp/head-phone amp as well?

2. What DAP (digital audio player) with USB out do you use? (note my DAP does not have USB out and I was interested in taking advantage of the  Amanero combo 384.

Thank You.

(note: I have a NFB-10.33 which I very much enjoy.)

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #118 of 286
Hi Prohobo, 

1. I have both the NOS-11 and the NOS-7 after my own upgrades. They both sounds fantastic and I think the difference is almost negliglible. Very small differences in imaging and clarity. Despite the 4 x PCM1704UK in the NOS-11 performs very well. Besides that it will give You a rather full function pre/headphone amp.

Personally I think You will get more bang for Your bucks with the NOS-11. The NOS-7 will force You to get a competent (=expensive) pre/HP-amp to get themost of it.

2. I have most of my music stored in my own network and I am using LMS (Logitech Media Server (nightly builds) running on my NAS'es and as players I use "PiCoreplayer" running on Raspberry Pi's 2B's and 3B's. The LMS has a lot of nice applets to allow You to access streamed material.

The functionality and soundquality with these small players is hard to beat. 

/Jan

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #119 of 286
  Hi Prohobo, 

1. I have both the NOS-11 and the NOS-7 after my own upgrades. They both sounds fantastic and I think the difference is almost negliglible. Very small differences in imaging and clarity. Despite the 4 x PCM1704UK in the NOS-11 performs very well. Besides that it will give You a rather full function pre/headphone amp.

Personally I think You will get more bang for Your bucks with the NOS-11. The NOS-7 will force You to get a competent (=expensive) pre/HP-amp to get themost of it.

2. I have most of my music stored in my own network and I am using LMS (Logitech Media Server (nightly builds) running on my NAS'es and as players I use "PiCoreplayer" running on Raspberry Pi's 2B's and 3B's. The LMS has a lot of nice applets to allow You to access streamed material.

The functionality and soundquality with these small players is hard to beat. 

/Jan

Thanks for the reply.

I was curious how the 4x vs. 8x PCM1704UK configuration differed. It would seem that 8 is better than 4, but is it noticeablly different?

I do not have an extensive library of music and I was thinking of a portable solution, so that I can take it with me when I travel (like a Fiio). I would say my music listening jumps between my loss-less digital collection and Spotify about equally. Spotify, mainly as I don't have any other source when I travel. Note - I do an above average amount of traveling for work.

So if there was a portable digital player with USB out that I could plug into the  Amanero combo 384 on the NOS-11, that would be great. So far I haven't found any portable music players with USB out - probably haven't looked well enough. But I hope for recommendations as well.

I guess the other solution is to use my laptop?

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #120 of 286
Hi,
I had my M7 changed to NOS7 at Audio-GD... wow - really like the difference. Like some others here have mentioned.. kind of like tube vs. SS, but without any tube-to-tube disparities.
In my setup I also surprisingly noticed an increase in micro-dynamics, so for example snare drum hits are more defined, also tone on complex things like snare and high-hat are more realistic.
It is still breaking in and I am also comparing a Singxer SU-1 SSD vs. my older Tanly SSD, so will send some more detailed review when things all settle in.
I have a quick question if someone could please help confirm:
A) To disable the PLL (iiuc, this could be preferable with a good clock source) only need jumper the PLLEN pins.
B) To change from modes NOS1 to NOS2, only need jumper the IPSO pins
Thanks in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back