Audio-GD Master 9
Oct 6, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #2,251 of 2,563
Large diameter fan gives lower noise. 12VDC (brushless) 12cm fan taken out of the old PC is ideal if there are power supplies available.

I thought for a moment about cooling pad for a gaming laptop. It could be nicely placed on the bottom of R-8HE or amps, but it was just an idea, I don't know how noisy this stuff is. It usually comes with four fans powered by USB, but fans are very small.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,252 of 2,563
Large diameter fan gives lower noise. 12VDC (brushless) 12cm fan taken out of the old PC is ideal if there are power supplies available.

I thought for a moment about colling pad for a gaming laptop. It could be nicely placed on the bottom of R-8HE or amps, but it was just an idea, I don't know how noisy this stuff is. It usually comes with four fans powered by USB, but fans are very small.
I use a 140mm Noctua. Best thing. Low rpm better cooling surface

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,254 of 2,563
What bass is that in your pic? I remember seeing that bass but cant remember what brand. I played bass for a bout 17 ys, still have the first Yamaha I ever bought and a Warwick 5 string

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #2,255 of 2,563
Right. The fans in my pc are silent. The one I am using today is very quiet only. But it was more plug and play as it "grabbed" onto my stand nicely. Even with audio, convenience will win sometimes.

Oct 6, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,256 of 2,563
I have mine sitting on top of the unit pulling air out. I can post a pic in a little bit showing how it is.
Here is how I have mine:
20231006_124408.jpg

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,257 of 2,563
Adding that fan is well worth it for the 14 bucks cost. It brings the temps down drastically. To gotitforcheap, you definitely won't regret buying a Master 19 if you decide to get one. I don't think a better sounding headphone amp exists for under 1000 US. It is an awesome piece of gear for the price. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #2,258 of 2,563
I've had my Master-9 on pretty much 24/7 since I got it back in 2015. It is my main headphone amp and pre amp for all my tube amps/speaker amps. I never turn it off at night. Really the only time it gets turned off is if the power goes out.

I've never had problems with it running hot.

Is the running hot a problem only with the master 19 or is it with all the newer versions of the Master series? Cause I was thinking about upgrading to one of the HE9 versions.

Oct 6, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #2,259 of 2,563
Adding that fan is well worth it for the 14 bucks cost. It brings the temps down drastically. To gotitforcheap, you definitely won't regret buying a Master 19 if you decide to get one. I don't think a better sounding headphone amp exists for under 1000 US. It is an awesome piece of gear for the price. You won't be disappointed.

right now I'm split between this & the schiit mjlonir 3, just sold a primaluna integrated so I've gotta make a decision while this money is burning a hole in my pocket

Oct 6, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #2,260 of 2,563
I would definitely get the Master 19 over the Mjolnir 3. The Master 19 is a far more powerful headphone amp. If soundstaging and imaging are a top priority for you, I would also suggest the Master 19 in that regard too. It is class leading in both of those attributes at its price point. Also note that the SNR on the Mjolnir 3 is only 110dB. On the Master 19, it is 130dB. That is a big difference as well.

Oct 6, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #2,261 of 2,563
they run class A
It's going to be Class A/B with a high bias. If it were outputting 9W all the time it'd need speaker-amp type heatsinks.

Other than that, they definitely do need space around the chassis. I do much the same thing as other people: use a 12V computer fan running at 5V, though I haven't needed to lately.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #2,262 of 2,563
Is the running hot a problem only with the master 19 or is it with all the newer versions of the Master series? Cause I was thinking about upgrading to one of the HE9 versions.
You need adequate clearance, the top shelf is the best. The higher the ambient temperature of where you are the more clearance you are going to need. The regenerative power system and class A design generates a lot of heat. It's a no compromise design.

Oct 7, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #2,263 of 2,563
You need adequate clearance, the top shelf is the best. The higher the ambient temperature of where you are the more clearance you are going to need. The regenerative power system and class A design generates a lot of heat. It's a no compromise design.
I have my stuff on a wire rack. so there is a lot of space around them. Which is probably why I haven't had any problems with heat.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #2,264 of 2,563
doing some further research, still split between the master 19, the schiit mjolnir 3 & now the HE-9 LE
is the difference between the master 19 & the HE-9 LE enough to justify the price jump?
I'm after something on the side of warm (the sound, if the unit gets hot that's fine, ha ha) to match the ZMF verite closeds

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #2,265 of 2,563
It's going to be Class A/B with a high bias. If it were outputting 9W all the time it'd need speaker-amp type heatsinks.

Other than that, they definitely do need space around the chassis. I do much the same thing as other people: use a 12V computer fan running at 5V, though I haven't needed to lately.
The Master 9 is a class A amplifier at >40 ohms. The Master 9 actually gets hotter than my Simaudio moon 600i amplifier which is biased to 5 watts in class A and 125 watts A/B.

The Master 9 is however not a speaker amplifier and isn't built to double* the current (A) into 2-4 ohms like a good speaker amplifier is.

*The lower the ohms, the more current and the less power needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back