Audio-GD Master 9
Aug 30, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #1,111 of 2,641
How do you find the sound of the M7 DAC compared to other DAC's such as the Vega?
I would expect the M7 partnered with the M9 via an ACSS cable, is an unbeatable DAC / Headamp combination.

The look of the M7 or M9 does not concern me. How it sounds is the number one priority for me.

The M9 definitely is a step up from the Auralic Taurus mk2 I sent back. More weight to the bass. Even better dynamics. Very happy with the sound.
I understand Audio-GD burn the M9 in for 300 hours, so I guess I not need to run it in myself.
After only 3 hours of music running through the M9, it sounded amazing. Very neutral.

As a bonus it acts as a heater and keeps the room warm :D

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #1,113 of 2,641
HE1000 + M9 was a bit too smooth for my liking. Again personal preference comes to play here , If you like overly smooth sound you might like the combo. I preferred the HE1000 from the speaker taps of my Vintage Marantz PM500 Integrated amp (I use this for my HE 6), added a bit more punch / dynamism. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #1,114 of 2,641
  HE1000 + M9 was a bit too smooth for my liking. Again personal preference comes to play here , If you like overly smooth sound you might like the combo. I preferred the HE1000 from the speaker taps of my Vintage Marantz PM500 Integrated amp (I use this for my HE 6), added a bit more punch / dynamism. 

H1000 is kind of smooth on its own. In my opinion it lacks the energy other headphones have. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,117 of 2,641
I just found that the preamp output level of M9 can be controlled by the volume knob. Shouldn't the preamp output be at fixed level? Or it's just special with M9?

Nope. Power amp is at a fixed level. Preamp controls the actual volume.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,118 of 2,641
I just found that the preamp output level of M9 can be controlled by the volume knob. Shouldn't the preamp output be at fixed level? Or it's just special with M9?

Not sure if im understanding tour question correctly, but when in preamp mode, the output is controled by the vplume control off my m8 as you indicated. The only strange thing is that there is still output to external amp in headphone mode when external amp is connected via acss.

IMO, the preamp on these master series amps do not get enough recognition. I primarily view my m8 as a preamp that happens to also have headphone outs. Awhile back Kingwa told me that the master 1 is only slightly better as preamp than the master 6-8 series. Strangely, even the integrated amps I've owned sounded better off the m8 as preamp (amp volume set at highest) than off dac itself.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,119 of 2,641
Back when the Phoenix was the leading Audio-gd headphone amp is was widely stated that it was in fact a better pre-amp than it was a headphone amp. The Master series just continued on from there. So likely they're going to be fantastic in that role.

This is why I made sure my speakers had XLR inputs, to make sure I could use the full balanced topology of the Phoenix and use it as a pre. Luckily so far it's working great as a headphone amp too. Win-win-win.

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,120 of 2,641
Hi all M9ers... I'm curious to know if anyone has heard both the M9 and the Violectric V281.  I'd be very interested in a compare/contrast type of feedback on tonality and soundstage.  

One piece of feedback I've heard for both already is "smooth".  Which is .... well.... music to my ears.  The V281 might be a touch warm in comparison.  And in regards to soundstage, I'm not sure about either.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,121 of 2,641
  Hi all M9ers... I'm curious to know if anyone has heard both the M9 and the Violectric V281.  I'd be very interested in a compare/contrast type of feedback on tonality and soundstage.  

One piece of feedback I've heard for both already is "smooth".  Which is .... well.... music to my ears.  The V281 might be a touch warm in comparison.  And in regards to soundstage, I'm not sure about either.

Thanks!

I didn't have them side by side to make a thorough comparison, but I did have the chance to listen to v281 at canjam this year. In the brief moments I had with V281, M9 is in another class when it comes to details, transparency, speed and control. I would pick m9 and p2(as hp amp).

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,122 of 2,641
I have both and the m9 is superior for power speed and transparency when it comes to low impedance orthos like the audeze (except for the ld-3f) and hifiman.For high impedance cans like the hd600 hd650 and the hd800 i prefer to use the v281 because of more power output at higher loads.The v281 and the lcd-3f with its 110 ohm impedance are really an excellent combo.For audio mastering duties and critical listening sessions i prefer to use my lcd-x and my he6 in balanced mode with the master9 which i absolutely consider the best balanced ss amp for these cans! highly recommended!

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,123 of 2,641
I have both and the m9 is superior for power speed and transparency when it comes to low impedance orthos like the audeze (except for the ld-3f) and hifiman.For high impedance cans like the hd600 hd650 and the hd800 i prefer to use the v281 because of more power output at higher loads.The v281 and the lcd-3f with its 110 ohm impedance are really an excellent combo.For audio mastering duties and critical listening sessions i prefer to use my lcd-x and my he6 in balanced mode with the master9 which i absolutely consider the best balanced ss amp for these cans! highly recommended!

I find very little to complain about when pairing the Master 9 with the HD800. One of the HD800s best pairings, IMO. The Master-9 tames treble beasts with an iron grip of control.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,124 of 2,641
I find very little to complain about when pairing the Master 9 with the HD800. One of the HD800s best pairings, IMO. The Master-9 tames treble beasts with an iron grip of control.

the best balanced amp for the h800 (and i've tried many top ss amps with this headphone) is this one i have in my studio :

http://www.qeslabs.com/e_listening.asp

which works totally in the current domain with dual mono balanced configuration and its output impedance curve is the same as the hd800.
That helps the hd800 to bring out bass and to have a more linear frequency response.
Thomas Balganter of Daft Punk has just purchased one HPBA2-S amp to use it with the hd800 in his studio for critical listening sessions.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,125 of 2,641

the best balanced amp for the h800 (and i've tried many top ss amps with this headphone) is this one i have in my studio :

http://www.qeslabs.com/e_listening.asp

which works totally in the current domain with dual mono balanced configuration and its output impedance curve is the same as the hd800.
That helps the hd800 to bring out bass and to have a more linear frequency response.
Thomas Balganter of Daft Punk has just purchased one HPBA2-S amp to use it with the hd800 in his studio for critical listening sessions.

Questyle CMA800R monoblocks are also pretty baller for the HD800 & HE6 for a current mode solution. I wonder how these compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back