Audio-GD Master 9
Mar 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #873 of 2,635
I tested Gungir and Bifrost with M9 a few months ago and as I remember they sounded good. I particularly enjoying the Gungir + m9 with the HE560. I also tried the same combo with Mjolnir but there was something special about M9 in the chain. The sound was a clearer while maintaining good musicality, nothing artificial or sterile. I think the class A power on M9 brought out the best in Gungir. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #874 of 2,635
The problems will come later when you decide to upgrade the dac and the new one won't have it as well as if you participate in meets...

i have some friends in the audio industry so when i'll decide to do the upgrade i'll ask them if their dacs have Output short / over current protection.

As far as I am concerned i don't bring my stuff to headphones meetings.All my equipment stays in my studio.So it won't be a problem :wink:

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #875 of 2,635
I'm reading that thread while I'm waiting for the M9

Still would like to hear about Vega+M9 setup like what Citraian has got :)

Edit: My next problem is where I should put the M9... like I'm living in a tiny apartment right now :p

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #876 of 2,635
Trying to decide on a Precision 2 to mate to my Master-9 to power my speakers. I wrote to Kingwa and this was his answer :
The Precision 2 had the pure amp input, can connect the Master 9 without any problems.
If you have the P2, you can try to compare below two connection modes see which is better for you.
1, M9 to P2 (pure amp input via RCA , volume control on the M9.
2, M9 to P2( ACSS input, setting the M9 volume on around 50, volume control on the P2)
Kingwa
Just an FYI.
Might have to pull the trigger!

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #877 of 2,635
Trying to decide on a Precision 2 to mate to my Master-9 to power my speakers. I wrote to Kingwa and this was his answer :
The Precision 2 had the pure amp input, can connect the Master 9 without any problems.
If you have the P2, you can try to compare below two connection modes see which is better for you.
1, M9 to P2 (pure amp input via RCA , volume control on the M9.
2, M9 to P2( ACSS input, setting the M9 volume on around 50, volume control on the P2)
Kingwa
Just an FYI.
Might have to pull the trigger!

Hey let me know of your experience with the Precision 2 if you decide to go through with it. I have it paired with my HD800 and this thing is a monster.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #878 of 2,635
the baby is in the house!

i'm using it with the hd600 in balanced mode with the whiplash twag v3 cable.The hd600 are the headphones i use to do the burn in of headphone amplifiers.
I've turned on the amp 1 hour ago but....WOW! this in an IMPRESSIVE amp! Much better than bryston!
I understand when Dan in his review was talking about transpanrency.
I can't wait to pass the 250 hours mark and do some serious listening tests but now for sure audio gd has a very satisfied customer.
Don't be fooled by the fact that it's made in china.This is a product that could cost 3 times more for how it's built and how it sounds.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #879 of 2,635

i'm using it with the hd600 in balanced mode with the whiplash twag v3 cable.The hd600 are the headphones i use to do the burn in of headphone amplifiers.
I've turned on the amp 1 hour ago but....WOW! this in an IMPRESSIVE amp! Much better than bryston!
I can't wait to pass the 250 hours mark and do some serious listening tests but now for sure audio gd has a very satisfied customer.
Don't be fooled by the fact that it's made in china.This is a product that could cost 3 times more for how it's built and how it sounds.

Congrats!!

Mine wasn't even sent yet a woman called grace hasn't come up to work yet it seems and we're checking the option that ardilla proposed with xlr and acss inputs being without short to ground feature. Meanwhile good news, it's possible to get acss to xlr cable and the result it seems will be the same as pure acss. The ukrainian dealer is making this cable for me for free because I've ordered it from them.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #881 of 2,635
  XVampireX please let me know about  the sonic differences between the normal xlr balanced connection and the Acss connection.

thanks!

I will try, though I will be connecting it in the above mentioned setup, I mean ACSS to XLR, I wouldn't know about XLR to XLR because I won't have the IC's...

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #882 of 2,635
Congrats!!

Mine wasn't even sent yet a woman called grace hasn't come up to work yet it seems and we're checking the option that ardilla proposed with xlr and acss inputs being without short to ground feature. Meanwhile good news, it's possible to get acss to xlr cable and the result it seems will be the same as pure acss. The ukrainian dealer is making this cable for me for free because I've ordered it from them.

That sounds very strange. The whole point about ACSS is that it is a current signal, as opposed to the normal voltage signal (RCA and XLR). The internals of the M9 and the Audiogd DACs are using using current signal, so the ACSS connection is for the M9 to get the current signal straight from a dac like the M7 withou having to convert it into voltage signal and back (like when using xlr or rca)

So if you can make such a cable (xlr to acss) work, there need to be some conversion going on in the ACSS input to make it accept voltage signal from an xlr output. Why would the M9 support voltage-to-current conversion in the ACSS input, when it already has rca and xlr? And even if it did, what's the point, since it'd be the same conversion as in the xlr input?

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #883 of 2,635

That sounds very strange. The whole point about ACSS is that it is a current signal, as opposed to the normal voltage signal (RCA and XLR). The internals of the M9 and the Audiogd DACs are using using current signal, so the ACSS connection is for the M9 to get the current signal straight from a dac like the M7 withou having to convert it into voltage signal and back (like when using xlr or rca)

So if you can make such a cable (xlr to acss) work, there need to be some conversion going on in the ACSS input to make it accept voltage signal from an xlr output. Why would the M9 support voltage-to-current conversion in the ACSS input, when it already has rca and xlr? And even if it did, what's the point, since it'd be the same conversion as in the xlr input?

Well, from my understanding, the DAC would be the output stage (Outputting in XLR obviously) and Master 9 would be receiving it in ACSS so that means that the conversion would really have to be somewhere in the cable...

Now based on the information that I've gathered from the dealer, it has to do with Impedance matching, don't ask me what that means when you make a cable... The guy seems to know his stuff who's making the cable though he's not talking to me too technical on the specs of the cable it seems :p

He did say that kingwa shared the schematics of the ACSS cable with him and he said that the cable will be ready by the end of the week he hopes.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #884 of 2,635

They are already burned in 300 hours. Just warming them up for half an hour or alike will get them to perform best. Good seeing you enjoy it ! I have the 8

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #885 of 2,635

Well, from my understanding, the DAC would be the output stage (Outputting in XLR obviously) and Master 9 would be receiving it in ACSS so that means that the conversion would really have to be somewhere in the cable...

Now based on the information that I've gathered from the dealer, it has to do with Impedance matching, don't ask me what that means when you make a cable... The guy seems to know his stuff who's making the cable though he's not talking to me too technical on the specs of the cable it seems :p

He did say that kingwa shared the schematics of the ACSS cable with him and he said that the cable will be ready by the end of the week he hopes.

I would really double check this with Audio-gd. This is about more than impedance matching, there has to be a actual conversion. I really doubt (but don't know) if this can be done passively in a cable, but even if it is, I see no reason why it should be better than Audio-gd's own conversion in the M9. And if I was to try out such a cable, I would be afraid of causing damage to my M9. BTW - I read about someone who had tested ACSS vs XLR and couldn't hear the difference.

Anway, acss is audio-gd's proprietory implementation of the current-signal way of doing things, like Krell has their own CAST, Bakoon has SATRI. (Audio-gd elaborates here: http://www.audio-gd.com/audio/ACSS.htm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back