Audio-GD Master 9
Dec 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #76 of 2,563
Audio-gd burn all the Master series DAC's & amps for 300 hours before dispatch.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #77 of 2,563
My new Master-9 arrived today, it sounds amazing even without running-in.

My system: Weiss DAC2 ------ Master-9 ------ HD800, all connected with XLR cable. DAC output level: +17dBu, Master-9 running in Low Gain.

I can hear a very big improvement compared to my previous Luxman DA-200.

This configuration sounds extremely spacious and transparent, with high sound density and good texture. Lots of details, but nothing to do with "clinical". On the contrary, it sounds smooth and musical. Imaging is very small and very precise.

The problem of this configuration is that the treble can be sparkling and aggressive  in some bad recorded tracks. Need more adjustment of cables, and need more running-in, of course.

In one word, I am in love with Master-9.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #80 of 2,563
Nice review aeolushu!

I also got my M 9 today and agree with you on all what you say and that it sounds amazingly good without been completely burn in.

I don’t want to say too much after just 6 hours of listening, but it’s already clear to me that it is quit an improvement compared to my Burson Soloist and Solo ultra linear diamond edition, IMO and on my LCD 3 (2013). I will try my HE-500 then it has had some more burn in. Off cause going from SE to balanced make my dac more justice, so some of the improvement is associated with what.

As I got a totally different set up then you I don’t really have a problem with an aggressive treble. On my setup the treble is nicely extended and sparkling. But I can image that it can be a bit hot on your gear and compered to your Luxman.

My system: Jriver ---Audiophilleo 2 with pure power---Hegel HD 20---Audioquest panther---Master-9 --- Q cable french silk ---Audeze LCD 3, I also have 4 power cords from LessLoss and a power strip from Furetech.
Yes IMHO it’s definitely possible to fix a hot treble with the right cables. It might come with less sparkle in the treble though.

Well done Kingwa!!

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #82 of 2,563
If the record has hot treble I do get it on my LCD 3, maybe not as sharp and on all of the songs as on HE-500 or AKG 701.

I don’t have a HD 800, but quite a few seems to like it better with a good balanced aftermarket cable. If you have problem with too much treble maybe a copper cable will suite you best. Do you have a stock cable on yours?

Some good power cables and IC can from my experience tame the treble; give you better dynamic, deeper/firmer bas, a more transparent and clearer overall sound as well. Only one problem, if they do it all they are normally not cheap.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #83 of 2,563
The M9 looks really good. Congrats guys!

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #84 of 2,563
Same. The M9 has landed... just opened it up and set it up. Haven't had much time at all to listen but this thing is huge (relatively speaking)! 

I don't mean to stalk you around the forum, but congrats, and I look forward to hear your impression on M9. The standoff between M9 and GS-X mkii and Stratus (when you get yours in a couple of weeks) is certainly one many people are anticipating, together with their worrying wallets. :popcorn:

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #85 of 2,563
I don't mean to stalk you around the forum, but congrats, and I look forward to hear your impression on M9. The standoff between M9 and GS-X mkii and Stratus (when you get yours in a couple of weeks) is certainly one many people are anticipating, together with their worrying wallets.
popcorn.gif

Haha, no problem. So far I'm enjoying the M9, but it is definitely different than the GS-X mk2. Will hold my judgement but overall for the price is a great amp. Will compare notes vs the GSX mk2 and get back. Not sure when the Stratus is coming... 

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #86 of 2,563
  If the record has hot treble I do get it on my LCD 3, maybe not as sharp and on all of the songs as on HE-500 or AKG 701.

I don’t have a HD 800, but quite a few seems to like it better with a good balanced aftermarket cable. If you have problem with too much treble maybe a copper cable will suite you best. Do you have a stock cable on yours?

Some good power cables and IC can from my experience tame the treble; give you better dynamic, deeper/firmer bas, a more transparent and clearer overall sound as well. Only one problem, if they do it all they are normally not cheap.

I got a siltech duchess crown HD800 XLR cable, silver cable, because I am actually a big treble lover.
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah I know good power cables will do something good and is very expensive. But as you see I used up all my budget on the siltech, so I will use the original Master-9 power lead and eat self-made cheap sandwich and instant noodle for a long time. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #87 of 2,563

Haha, no problem. So far I'm enjoying the M9, but it is definitely different than the GS-X mk2. Will hold my judgement but overall for the price is a great amp. Will compare notes vs the GSX mk2 and get back. Not sure when the Stratus is coming... 

Interesting.  I can't wait to hear your thoughts on all three amps.  
popcorn.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #88 of 2,563
Correct me if i am wrong, but i though the M8 sounded closer to the GS-X mk2 ? 
I understand from kingwa that the M9 will sound different.

Has anyone compaired M8 and M9 and the GS-X mk2..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back