Audio-GD Master 9
Aug 2, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,501 of 2,563
I found the M9 to be too smooth sounding and lacks excitement despite its power rating. Hope to hear your impressions of the H9.
Yes this is something I've noticed on some music and that I've reported earlier. I feel that women voices are very natural and the emotion is there when the singer has some, of course. Most of my jazz recordings have this feel I'm looking for, especially the piano which I listen to a lot (solo, duos, trios). Its when it gets a little bit more complicated (prog rock mainly for me) and especially with drums that I feel there is a certain lack of attack. The M9 can be a little too polite in some situations. I find that using the high gain with my LCD-X gives me more life... But again, women voice and piano jazz set ups are what I listen 90% of the time and for me, smooth isn't a bad thing.

I also think that the smoothness can be DAC or source related. Synergy is a tricky lady.

A friend of mine is coming to my place next week to try his Utopias with the M9. Cant wait to hear that.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,502 of 2,563
I listened to the M9 with a HE-1000 and the sound was overly smooth. The amp was then paired with the M7 DAC from Audio Gd as well. As i listen to heavy metal 90% of the time, this amp may not be suitable. it tends to weaken the impact somewhat. Looking forward to hearing your impressions with the Utopias though.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,503 of 2,563
As i listen to heavy metal 90% of the time, this amp may not be suitable. it tends to weaken the impact somewhat.
Interesting, I found that this kind of music does not benefit much played in higher end gears. Their recording techniques just not aimed to be in those directions.
Of course I still love my AMQA albums, but they sounds the same played from my late 80s walkman.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,505 of 2,563
If anyone in Hong Kong is interested in the M9, I am considering putting it or my HDVD800 up for sale to upgrade elsewhere. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Or if anyone in Hong Kong has the Precision 2 and would like to work out a trade, I would be interested in doing so.

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,506 of 2,563
HE9 in da house! Been listening for 6-7 hours since arrival.

Here are some early observations of what I find compared to the M9:

In 2ch set-up: I immediately noticed a blacker background - in fact, not a sound even if I put my ears up to the speakers - and I believe this background is the key to the rest. I hear more air around instruments, voice, bass, piano. Definition is better, especially low piano notes and bass. Soundstage is pretty much the same - wide - but its like there's more space between instruments (air) which helps for clarity and definition. I also find that these improvements help me get more into the music. Thats for my findings as a preamp in the 2ch. set up.

In HP mode: with LCD-X. Cut and copy from the 2 ch. with the difference that the better bass definition is what catches my attention at first. LCD-X good bass is what makes me like those headphones but with the HE9, its all a little better, particularly where the bass (double bass mainly) is upfront in a jazz trio or duo set up - piano, d-bass, drums. Theres not more bass but its better defined, i hear the notes more clearly. I need more listening time to better evaluate the HE9 but it looks very promising.

Finally, something unexpected... I'm a big fan of Fender Rhodes and Hammond B3 sound. To my surprise, the FR and HB3 are probably the best I heard up to now through the HE9.

I read a review where the reviewer said that the HE9 lacks musicality. I'm not too sure what he means by that but I really dont find thats the case here, in my setup. To me, the music is fluid, voice are very well presented which makes it very easy to hear and feel the emotion of the singer. The feel is one of the strength in my book. I had the same finding with the M9 but just a little bit more with the HE9.

This said, the HE9 has pretty much the same general character as the M9. Its still a polite amp that could use a little bit more punch for complex prog music. For me, with the type of music I listen to 90% of the time, its a keeper. Its not night and day vs the M9. The difference is in the details, here and there, and IMO, that's what makes HE9 a worthwhile investment over M9. But I can understand that this presentation doesn't fit every taste. If I was a electronic or metal music lover, I would probably look elsewhere.

Source set-up for both 2ch and HP is Aurender N100H / Bryston BDA3. Hi-Rez files and DSD64-128, dedicated power lines, all Furutech Alpha power cables, Audio Sensibility Signature and Statement IC, balanced set up for both 2 ch and HP.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,508 of 2,563
HE9 in da house! Been listening for 6-7 hours since arrival.

Here are some early observations of what I find compared to the M9:

In 2ch set-up: I immediately noticed a blacker background - in fact, not a sound even if I put my ears up to the speakers - and I believe this background is the key to the rest. I hear more air around instruments, voice, bass, piano. Definition is better, especially low piano notes and bass. Soundstage is pretty much the same - wide - but its like there's more space between instruments (air) which helps for clarity and definition. I also find that these improvements help me get more into the music. Thats for my findings as a preamp in the 2ch. set up.

In HP mode: with LCD-X. Cut and copy from the 2 ch. with the difference that the better bass definition is what catches my attention at first. LCD-X good bass is what makes me like those headphones but with the HE9, its all a little better, particularly where the bass (double bass mainly) is upfront in a jazz trio or duo set up - piano, d-bass, drums. Theres not more bass but its better defined, i hear the notes more clearly. I need more listening time to better evaluate the HE9 but it looks very promising.

Finally, something unexpected... I'm a big fan of Fender Rhodes and Hammond B3 sound. To my surprise, the FR and HB3 are probably the best I heard up to now through the HE9.

I read a review where the reviewer said that the HE9 lacks musicality. I'm not too sure what he means by that but I really dont find thats the case here, in my setup. To me, the music is fluid, voice are very well presented which makes it very easy to hear and feel the emotion of the singer. The feel is one of the strength in my book. I had the same finding with the M9 but just a little bit more with the HE9.

This said, the HE9 has pretty much the same general character as the M9. Its still a polite amp that could use a little bit more punch for complex prog music. For me, with the type of music I listen to 90% of the time, its a keeper. Its not night and day vs the M9. The difference is in the details, here and there, and IMO, that's what makes HE9 a worthwhile investment over M9. But I can understand that this presentation doesn't fit every taste. If I was a electronic or metal music lover, I would probably look elsewhere.

Source set-up for both 2ch and HP is Aurender N100H / Bryston BDA3. Hi-Rez files and DSD64-128, dedicated power lines, all Furutech Alpha power cables, Audio Sensibility Signature and Statement IC, balanced set up for both 2 ch and HP.

My overall impression an of my HE-9 are pretty much the same as yours. Great amp. Nice write up. I really enjoy the soundstage width and depth as well as the other strengths you pointed out.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #1,509 of 2,563
Thanks for such a thorough comparison, you're a rare breed to own both amps at the same time :)
Not anymore unfortunately. My friend with the Utopia just bought the M9. I hope he can chime in and talk about the match with M9 and Utopia. For me, I prefer the LCD-X with its deep bass and feel. I like the Utopia but maybe a little too analytic for my taste. If i had the money, they would be my 2nd pair of HP.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,510 of 2,563
My overall impression an of my HE-9 are pretty much the same as yours. Great amp. Nice write up. I really enjoy the soundstage width and depth as well as the other strengths you pointed out.
How do you like the Auteur with the HE9? I briefly had a pair of Ori and still looking at ZMF for a 2nd pair of HP. Was looking at the Eikon but I'm curious at the match Auteur/HE9

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,511 of 2,563
The Auteur Blackwood sounds very good out of the HE9. My main impression of the Auteur Blackwood with the HE-9 is a neutral FR with a natural smooth sound. The body/weight of sound from the Auteur’s BW is great. I never think thin when listening. I’ve tried the Auteur’s with a few other amps as well and I think they tend to sound very good on most amps. They sounded good on the Gilmore Lite MK2, but the HE-9 provides more soundstage and depth to the Auteurs. They also sounded good on the Massdrop CTH + the linear power supply I had. The resolution was lower than the HE-9 but still smooth and entertaining. I sold the Gilmore Lite Mk2 and CTH.

My Utopias have more resolution on the HE-9 that the Auteurs but resolution is not everything. I currently enjoy both the Auteur BW & Utopias and plan on keeping them.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #1,513 of 2,563
Someone asked me about the M9/HE9, so I suggested if purchasing, ask for the following things:

1. 3x 4-pin XLR headphone sockets instead of 1x 4-pin XLR and 2x 3-pin XLR. Maybe in the future there will be suitable Pentaconn 4.4mm jacks too, but dual-3-pin XLR sockets is long gone as a standard.
2. Ask for the Muses DC offset opamps. This might now be standard, but it's worth checking. It seems to improve the sound a tiny bit.
3. Switching inputs has a 3-second delay before they engage. If this is not desired, ask for the inputs to switch faster, or instantly.
4. If you're using a Schiit DAC, ask them to remove the input shorting jumpers in advance. This will help if you're like me and connect your DAC to multiple amps, as shorting the inputs on one amp will affect the output of the DAC to another.

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,514 of 2,563
Not anymore unfortunately. My friend with the Utopia just bought the M9. I hope he can chime in and talk about the match with M9 and Utopia. For me, I prefer the LCD-X with its deep bass and feel. I like the Utopia but maybe a little too analytic for my taste. If i had the money, they would be my 2nd pair of HP.

Smooth Operator. Simplest way to describe the the performance of the Bryston BDA-3, M9 and Utopia trio. I’m starting to like the sound more and more. Holographic, detailed sound but at the same time smooth and effortless with full body. On some tracks, I would like to have a bit more bass quantity, like a db or two but for most of the tracks I listened last night, it was just perfect. The fact that the bass is now tighter and more accurate, could explain the feeling of a little less bass in comparison of my Audio GD Reference 10.32 modified with Amanero 384. But the precision and speed increase with my new set up more than make up for it. I do think that the sound I got last night, was the best I ever had in any of my systems. The song Who Will Comfort Me from Melody Gardot (thanks Yippedidou for this discovery for me) was absolutely spectacular last night. It was everything but polite. Clear, dynamic, punchy and eerily real. It’s a cliché but I closed my eyes and I could easily imagine myself in an intimate bar close to the stage where Melody is performing. I got other songs with really good dynamics also. So I’m not sure that I’m ready to call the M9 a bit on the polite side. Smooth? Absolutely. But polite is a strong word. But I listened with Yippedidou’s LCD-X in the same set up (he also have the Bryston BDA-3) and do understand that some can feel that the M9 is a bit too smooth with smoother headphone but I do think that the Utopia are a good match with the M9 beeing punchy headphones with dynamic live sound. Anyway, as much as I like the M9, I will buy a HE9 whenever my friend Yippedidou decides to upgrade to something else!

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #1,515 of 2,563
Someone asked me about the M9/HE9, so I suggested if purchasing, ask for the following things:

1. 3x 4-pin XLR headphone sockets instead of 1x 4-pin XLR and 2x 3-pin XLR. Maybe in the future there will be suitable Pentaconn 4.4mm jacks too, but dual-3-pin XLR sockets is long gone as a standard.
2. Ask for the Muses DC offset opamps. This might now be standard, but it's worth checking. It seems to improve the sound a tiny bit.
3. Switching inputs has a 3-second delay before they engage. If this is not desired, ask for the inputs to switch faster, or instantly.
4. If you're using a Schiit DAC, ask them to remove the input shorting jumpers in advance. This will help if you're like me and connect your DAC to multiple amps, as shorting the inputs on one amp will affect the output of the DAC to another.

Amos, do you know if/when Kingwa will introduce 4.4mm balanced on his amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back