Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #811 of 4,451

I've since changed by mind after being able to find more time to just relax and listen without the pressure of evaluating stuff. The AGD M7 is definitely an upgrade. In terms of technicalities, the AGD M7 equals and in most cases exceeds those of my current reference, the PWD2.

I am astounded by the resolution and clarity of the AGD while still being able to provide a certain "warmth", even though it's not a warm, but rather neutral sounding DAC, if that makes any sense. The bass quality is out of this world. Tactile, textured, amazing pitch definition. Mids and treble are too. I only mention bass because some high-end DACs resort to a warmer or fatter bass to artificially enhance smoothness or provide a vinyl-like liquid sound. There's no much nonsense with the M7. No tricks. It's the real deal.

How much is the price of a PWD2? Just want to reference the price performance of the M7.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #812 of 4,451
It's about 3900.00 but at o e time you could get the DAC and the PWT
COMBO for the same price. I own both and prefer the M7 and M8 combo
Al D

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #813 of 4,451
The going rate for a used pair is around $3000 to $3500.   About 3 years ago the PWD, PWT combo USED to be $6000 new, now its something like $8000.  I know they have improved the dac but the transport has remained unchanged for the most part.  My friend owns the transport and while I think it is the best transport you can buy (because its a memory player), you could build a computer to do the same thing for 1/4 the price.  

Unlike alot of things in audio, they seem to be just good enough to justify the price.  Perhaps the DAC is priced correctly while other dacs like the M7, Eximus, and NAD m51 are priced too low.  At least they're not $20K ripoffs.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #814 of 4,451
The going rate for a used pair is around $3000 to $3500.   About 3 years ago the PWD, PWT combo USED to be $6000 new, now its something like $8000.  I know they have improved the dac but the transport has remained unchanged for the most part.  My friend owns the transport and while I think it is the best transport you can buy (because its a memory player), you could build a computer to do the same thing for 1/4 the price.  

Unlike alot of things in audio, they seem to be just good enough to justify the price.  Perhaps the DAC is priced correctly while other dacs like the M7, Eximus, and NAD m51 are priced too low.  At least they're not $20K ripoffs.

There is a PWD MK II in the FS now for $2k still up after 20 days. I don't think used ones go for $3-3.5k... I know at least one other head fier who is planning to sell his pwd mk2 at the same price as well (offered to me in private but I didn't want it)

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #815 of 4,451
There is a PWD MK II in the FS now for $2k still up after 20 days. I don't think used ones go for $3-3.5k... I know at least one other head fier who is planning to sell his pwd mk2 at the same price as well (offered to me in private but I didn't want it)

To be fair he did say used Pair, which I took to mean for the DAC and the transport as well, at which 3-3.5k would be about right I think.

whereas the master 7 will be close to 2400 brand new after shipping and fees

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #816 of 4,451
To be fair he did say used Pair, which I took to mean for the DAC and the transport as well, at which 3-3.5k would be about right I think.

whereas the master 7 will be close to 2400 brand new after shipping and fees

Yes that would be more reasonable. I didn't notice the subtle "pair" lol and just remembered the guy asking above for price of pwd

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #817 of 4,451
Used Mk2 is $2-2.5k. And new can/could had been had for about the same.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #818 of 4,451
I know the Mk2 tend to go for bit less than the Mk1's upgraded to two because the Mk1's can run 2.02/03, the more "organic" sounding firmware. On the 'gon, we used to see folks ask if PWDs for sale were Mk1s upgraded to 2. If not, then no or less interest.

The M7 is almost $2400 shipped. Paying US state taxes is your personal responsibility; besides, it's your duty to support the political machines.

BTW, the PWT being a memory transport, i2s, and all wasn't all that great. A old-school Denon CD Player via SPDIF and the OR5 via i2s easily beat it.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #819 of 4,451
There was a sale for a couple of months or more for both dac2 and the transport for 3950.00 or about that is new.... I know I bought them and the PS5 as well good stuff , but I do like the M7 and M8 combo for both headphones and speakers. But that is just my view not claming as a fact , and the HD800 and the HE6 sound great tooooo

Ald

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #821 of 4,451
you will not regret the purchase. I have several dacs in the range and it is the sweetest  to my ears. great detail on both speakers and headphones. just a heads up speakers revel a dacs image and overall space  of the recording.  listen to both  to really hear the dacs true sound reproduction.

enjoy

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #822 of 4,451

I should probably read the fine print better next time
redface.gif
thanks for the headsup...Ill have to snag that hynes regulator upgrade then

The Paul Hynes regulator may be limited in future production, too.  I recently took delivery from him on an external PSU that had an extremely long wait.  He's not a well man these days...

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #823 of 4,451
I'm looking for a complement to my PWD and will need to choose between the Reference 7 (bought a few days back) and a Master 7. With an Audiophilleo in place (or alternatively an off-ramp) would there be an appreciable difference between the two? I understand the DSP has been updated and is now soldered directly to the board and the additions of async 8802, USB 32 and the print layout are jitter-reduction measures, but with a seperate converter handling the clocks and timing, I'm a little confused about where the improvements would be coming from. I also understand the wiring was improved, but is there something else I'm missing?

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #824 of 4,451
The whole digital board is different. I don't notice a significant difference between my AP1/PP and the USB 32 in all honesty. The AP1/PP is slightly better, but definitely not $1k+ better, which is not its fault, but more so a reflection of the improvements in the M7's design. I'm excited at the possibility of an OR5 bringing the M7 up another level, as that is exactly what I'm after.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #825 of 4,451
Thanks Amos, I remember you admired your RE-7/AP1 for a while and now found what you were looking for with the Master 7. Do you find a house sound to have carried over or is it a radical departure from the earlier Ref 1, Ref 7 sound.

Kingwa was uncharacteristically bold in the M7 synopsis. I have the Master 7 here, temporarily, and it's very nice on first listen, although surprisingly unforgiving compared to what I remember of the 1704 flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back