Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #4,426 of 4,451
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #4,427 of 4,451
Hello Again All / Happy new owner of an HE7 Singularity and a DI20HE, so of course I want to run 12s, can anyone point me to a source for a decent 12 inch HDMI cable ? I am of course assuming that a typical / normal HDMI cable will work being as both units are AGD

Thanks all
I've tried the Blue Jean and the Aliexpress pure silver and they are ok, being better the Aliexpress one, but not close to the Tubulus Concentus pure silver I2S cable. Pricey but very very good.

I also have the HE-7, but with the DI-20 (not HE). Now I'm thinking about getting the new DI-24HE :ksc75smile:

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #4,429 of 4,451
I just ordered a HDMI cable from Blue Jean Cable and it does the job without issue.
Thanks Stephen..............Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. With the Di20HE connected via SPDIF the AGD Is much closer to the sw1x................Still have some listening to do though

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #4,430 of 4,451
Hello Again All / Happy new owner of an HE7 Singularity and a DI20HE, so of course I want to run 12s, can anyone point me to a source for a decent 12 inch HDMI cable ? I am of course assuming that a typical / normal HDMI cable will work being as both units are AGD

Thanks all
The AVPlay I2S cables are excellent value for money and have been well reviewed by many people on head-fi

See - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000255873784.html - and pick "HDMI IIS audio"

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #4,431 of 4,451
Thanks Stephen..............Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. With the Di20HE connected via SPDIF the AGD Is much closer to the sw1x................Still have some listening to do though
Doing great over here! I'm going to get a beefed up Ian Canada reclocker/streamer setup and see how it elaffects all of my DACs.

I can say, that when I moved to I2S on my AGD, it was quite stark in how it changed the sound. That's just running from a Raspberry pie with an IanCanada I2S hat and reclocker.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #4,432 of 4,451
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #4,433 of 4,451
Doing great over here! I'm going to get a beefed up Ian Canada reclocker/streamer setup and see how it elaffects all of my DACs.

I can say, that when I moved to I2S on my AGD, it was quite stark in how it changed the sound. That's just running from a Raspberry pie with an IanCanada I2S hat and reclocker.

How does it compare to the Ian Canada setup? It's about half the price, so thats a start.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #4,434 of 4,451
How does it compare to the Ian Canada setup? It's about half the price, so thats a start.
No idea but it beats the usbridge sig without any question. The drawback is there is no aux usb port for a drive. So you need a network drive or to use it as a renderer. I have the ext clocked version. Synching the di20he and streamer by using a common 10M clock likely plays a significant role in getting excellent sound quaity .

To use that streamer with a square clock, i recommend installing a terminating resistor inside. No need to with a sine. Something that is missing in the stock version.

I converted my unit to 75ohm and installed a pair of 150ohm in parallel across the ocxo pads.

IMG_20231014_085343.jpg

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #4,435 of 4,451

Thanks all
I use a Revelation Audio Labs hdmi cable. I compared it to the Audiolund True Silver hdmi but preferred the RAL.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #4,436 of 4,451
Congrats on your HE7S. The 1 ft. (0.3m) cables are a tricky challenge as the length and stiffness of the cable not wanting to bend make installation more difficult. But you are on the right track with using the shortest HDMI cables (lowest jitter) with these older DACs. The BlueJeans cable works well and are flexible enough to make the bend/ twist. Wireworld 0.3m are a stiff and just barely make it with the 90 deg twist needed. But encourage trying a lot of cables. Start on the affordable side and work your way up. No need to spend $$$.

For comparison this is what I am using now with the HE7 mk2 and M7S 2020. AVPlay 0.5m
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...martRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=fra2usa4itemAdapt

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #4,437 of 4,451
I should have stated when ordering the AVPlay HDMI cables (above link) the seller will want to know what DAC/ Streamer you are using. The main reasons are for PCM and also DSD wiring which is not applicable in PCM1704 world. For basic I2S PCM play the AGD DACs need "PS Audio" compatible HDMI 2.x wires. But may as well future proof the cable by stating you have an Audio GD DI20 -> Audio GD R7 mk2 (DSD capable).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #4,438 of 4,451
Thanks to all for the many suggestions.........................Looks like I have a lot of cable shopping in my future

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #4,440 of 4,451
I should have stated when ordering the AVPlay HDMI cables (above link) the seller will want to know what DAC/ Streamer you are using. The main reasons are for PCM and also DSD wiring which is not applicable in PCM1704 world. For basic I2S PCM play the AGD DACs need "PS Audio" compatible HDMI 2.x wires. But may as well future proof the cable by stating you have an Audio GD DI20 -> Audio GD R7 mk2 (DSD capable).
It will work exactly the same with R-7mk2 and any other audio GD DAC, don't worry! It is because DSD signals use the same pins as PCM.

Reason for asking is because DSD Detect signal (pin 15) and MCLK (pins 10 and 12) are not used in any Audio GD gear. It means no wires floating, less interference, thinner cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back