Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #4,412 of 4,451
Does anyone have a good resource on how I'm supposed to attach these boards to Raspberry Pi? Like how they stack and then which port in the back the wire that comes with the reclocker attached to?

And then should I be running a ground from one of these boards to the Allo Nirvana PSU? If So, where is the best place to ground on these boards?

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #4,414 of 4,451
Any suggestions on resources for the Rpi and Ian Cananda stuff? Ian Canada and Audiophonics are pretty much being no help in troubleshooting what is going wrong with the components I bought. Seems like this was supposed to be simple, plug everything into the GIPO pins and go, but that has not been my experience thus far. I can't get any sound out with the configuration that the user manual has laid out.

Oct 6, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #4,415 of 4,451
Any suggestions on resources for the Rpi and Ian Cananda stuff? Ian Canada and Audiophonics are pretty much being no help in troubleshooting what is going wrong with the components I bought. Seems like this was supposed to be simple, plug everything into the GIPO pins and go, but that has not been my experience thus far. I can't get any sound out with the configuration that the user manual has laid out.
I'm not an expert in this but it should be straightforward. Maybe post some pics. There are some good technical guys @sajunky @FredA @DACLadder in these threads.

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,416 of 4,451
YES, it should be straightforward!

Here is some more info:

I'm powering this with the Allo Nirvana via USBc

When I have the HDMIpi Transmitter on the top of the stack it doesn't show power on unless it's plugged into the AUX GPIO pins on the master clock board below it. If its plugged into the other GPIO pins it doesn't show a red light.

If I plug the HDMIpi transmitter into the GPIO pins on the Rpi board the light comes on.

Attached are some screenshots of the settings in Moode I have used:
1665027466093.png

IanFIFO II setting in Moode - No sounds here, but it shows playing on Bubbleup and allows me to control the volume from the phone.

1665027513732.png

Hifiberry setting in Moode: Doesn't play song on Bubbleup.

Running Bubbleup from my phone.

More pics attached

Attachments

• 20221006_063922.jpg
    20221006_063922.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_063907.jpg
    20221006_063907.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Ian.PNG
    Ian.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • hifiberry.PNG
    hifiberry.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,417 of 4,451
Remember, not all IIS pinouts are the same. You have to make sure it is correct for the DAC.

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #4,419 of 4,451
Here is the pinout that Kingwa sent me for the Audio GD

I asked IANCanada if this mates up with his HDMI Pinout and I've not received a response.

If the pinouts are different do I need to have a custom cable made?
Sometimes that could be the solution, or maybe if you can change the options on your DAC. I don't remember. I hope the experts will answer soon :)

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #4,421 of 4,451
audio-gd reciever pinout (PS Audio I2S over HDMI standard) usual differs from common pinout in 2 pair of wires and this leads to swapping channels unless you have custom made hdmi cable or possibility to change connectors on transmitter or reciever pcb. Also you can just swap channels by swapping interconnects cables or by software.
In my experience better result can be achieved by direct connection between reclocker and DAC's pcb without HDMI‑LVDS converters

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #4,422 of 4,451
I live in Ukraine and lately, we have been experiencing problems with sudden power outages and voltage fluctuations. I'm afraid this affected the digital stream sources that were connected to my Audio-gd Master7 and then Master7 itself. I’m so sorry about this situation because I have liked this DAC for many years. At the moment, all digital inputs have stopped working except for the optical one, which works fine, and music is playing through it.

So, the question is maybe there is a blown fuse that could be replaced or something similar?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #4,423 of 4,451
i understand currently that AC voltage input could fluctuate wildly in Ukraine. Kingwa would be best source for helping you track down the problem. To my knowledge there are no familiar fuses to rxvhange. Rather the transformers have fuseable liinks that possibly are not replaceable. But that may not be the prime issue. If you are familiar with basic electronics Kingwa or Magna Hifi may give steps for debug of the problem. Good luck to you and we hope AC power is soon reliable and steady for all of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #4,424 of 4,451
Hello Again All / Happy new owner of an HE7 Singularity and a DI20HE, so of course I want to run 12s, can anyone point me to a source for a decent 12 inch HDMI cable ? I am of course assuming that a typical / normal HDMI cable will work being as both units are AGD

Thanks all

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #4,425 of 4,451
Hello Again All / Happy new owner of an HE7 Singularity and a DI20HE, so of course I want to run 12s, can anyone point me to a source for a decent 12 inch HDMI cable ? I am of course assuming that a typical / normal HDMI cable will work being as both units are AGD

Thanks all
I just ordered a HDMI cable from Blue Jean Cable and it does the job without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back