Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4,218 of 4,463
Shame these elite 10M clocks cost more than the DAC but Kingwa’s proprietary clock synthesizer code really works
Interesting things, some commercially available fem-to-second crystal oscilators are actualy crystals plus clock synthesizers. I didn't know this. By example, these are general purpose oscilator IC's. Others will not disclose internal details., but sell a package of a fixed frequency ultra-low phase fixed frequency oscilators.

We usually use terms like XO, TCXO or OCXO and some members refer to a Crystek CCHD-957/575 as TXCO type. Actually manufacturer doesn't say so, and it is perhaps a reason why.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #4,219 of 4,463
Now part of the CLUB, Bought a master 7 a week ago or so and am loving the SQ...................I did have an odd happening tonight. Listening and about 3 hours in everything just went out of phase. I switched to another input and back to 5 (12s, using a singXer SU1) it was back in phase. Anyone ever have this happen.

Thanks Joe

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #4,220 of 4,463
Now part of the CLUB, Bought a master 7 a week ago or so and am loving the SQ...................I did have an odd happening tonight. Listening and about 3 hours in everything just went out of phase. I switched to another input and back to 5 (12s, using a singXer SU1) it was back in phase. Anyone ever have this happen.

Thanks Joe

My M7S occassionally (may be 1 out of 20 times) would output noise after initial turning on and before playing music. Playing music would make the noise goes away. I asked Kingwa about the noise and he said it was about noise creeping in from digital inputs before the PLL lock starts working. Your problem is different from mine but could very well also be caused by noise from unused digital input. Kingwa's does not electronically switch off unused digital inputs thus noise can creep in. I think the latest R7 firmware now switch off unused HDMI/UDB inputs.

Jul 7, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #4,221 of 4,463

Thanks Joe
It happen when losing synchronisation on the S/PDIF connection, but I2S? How long is a cable, brand? Is it a version with galvanic isolator on I2S?

Jul 7, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,222 of 4,463
All my Audio GD DACs seem to occasionally output noise (IN 5) when rapidly cycling through input selections. Even the newest R7HE mk2 though perhaps once in 5 months. I am using an M7S with SU-6 in my computer setup and working perfectly but never switch inputs. The DAC firmware is 'dsdclk'.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #4,223 of 4,463
System Set up. PC running J-River, to SU-1 using a starlight 7 usb Cable, From SU-1 (later version SN 001377) using a Kitsune HDMI Cable under 12" long into the Audio GD Master 7 12s (Input #5) running in NOS mode with filters . Out to my Marchand XM9, Out to various amps , out to Bi-amp Speakers

When the reversed phase took place we had been listening for 3+ hours straight, Nothing new turned on or off, switching files on J-River using the mouse. So last night at 2am I got to looking around and found a chart for SU-1 switch setup of "LATER" SU-1 (SN001350 and up)It stated for Holo DACs to set switch 7,9, & 10 to on with all others in the Off Position. I quote the Holo Dac's info as there is no Audio AG info on the later model chart, However for earlier models charts Audio GD is set to the same switch selections as HOLO. I am simply assuming they might both use the same switch setup on later models as they do on earlier SU-1 Models

I played the system for approx 1 hour and no phase shift, will try to get in more time tonight and report back................

With 12+DAC's under my Belt including models Schiit Bifrost Ultra, Biifrost Multi bit, Yggy analog 1, Centrance, Metrum Onyx, Wavelength Cosecant V-3, MHDT Modded Havana, Aqua Lascala optologic MKII, Line Magnetic LM502ca, Altmann Attraction, An Early Audio GD model. and more I am forgetting This Master 7 sounds the best, I am really enjoying the Sound. I am using it as NOS with Filters (top 2 jumpers open, Next 4 jumpers in place, Last jumper open)

How do I figure out which firmware version my DAC is using ?

Thanks much for all the feedback / suggestions

Joe

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,224 of 4,463
So last night at 2am I got to looking around and found a chart for SU-1 switch setup of "LATER" SU-1 (SN001350 and up)It stated for Holo DACs to set switch 7,9, & 10 to on with all others in the Off Position.
Dip switches do oxidize and work unreliable when not used for a while and can be poor quality. Then changing one position can give poor contact. When you change switch position, do it few times, it allows to clean contacts and then leave it in a desired position. This is a general advice, can happen with any equipment,

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #4,225 of 4,463
Good point... I just looked on my SU-1 and all DIP switches are in the default state (off). This works for PCM on Audio GD DACs. and many others. Makes sense for the noise issue.

For DAC firmware you need to remove the top and connect a Byte Blaster to the FPGA JTAG port. Then use Altera programming software to readback the checksum and match that against known versions for match up. It is a bit cryptic first time but instructions exist. We are here to help.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #4,226 of 4,463
Appreciate all the info gents. The phase shift only happened the 1 time, was easily solved by going from input 5 to 6 and back again. I apparently lost lock, which could easily be PC related. I have since been enjoying the M7 very much. When I bought it the seller included a write up.
http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-GD_Master7-Amanero_NOS.htm
It was very helpful. I found the NOS Mode also using filters as mentioned in the linked article to be as close to Vinyl playback as I have personally ever heard. For me the M7 is a new level of SQ for digital playback. So good infact I am seriously contemplating selling my high $ vinyl playback rig. I plan to compare the M7 to the PWDMKII from there I honestly feel like my Digital search has reached its end

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #4,227 of 4,463
Here are my thoughts on getting the regular Audio-gd DI-20 and HE version (with the V4.075 firmware) for the original Master 7 with the firmware update and using I2s as the input.

I have had the HE version for two months now and did a compare last weekend of the two before shipping the DI-20 to it's new owner. Both units were powered up for a number of days during this comparison.

The DI-20 is a great upgrade for the M7 and is similar to something like the Singxer SU-6. In my system the M7 only truly shined once paired with this level of DDC. The detail, separation and faithful reproduction of the music is a treat.

Comparing to the DI-20HE is easy enough because the two units have exactly the same sound signature. One definitely sounds better then the other but is it worth the extra cost? And I would have to say absolutely. Bass definition, texture, separation and soundstage shine through more with the HE version. Basically for the retail price of a good power cable or two.

Is it a good investment overall for something like the M7? You would be dropping more than a $1k USD into an older dac. I think to give it a brand new life it's definitely worth it. And a lot of fun to see how far you can take the M7.

Also for any digital gear I do feel now that the HE version is a must if you don't have a good external power regenerator.

Thanks again to Kingwa for the M7 firmware upgrade right near the end of its life cycle. Without that none of this would be possible. And one tip is to power up the M7 first, DI-20 second. Otherwise the signal doesn't seem to lock correctly.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #4,229 of 4,463
@PeterCraig Thanks and Kingwa always recommends HE power supplies to me when questioned.

Currently have my 2013 Master 7S in the computer/ headphone setup and it is just amazing. Highly recommended for PC games. The M7S has been a great investment. I bet the HE powered Master 7 would be even better.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #4,230 of 4,463
Here are my thoughts on getting the regular Audio-gd DI-20 and HE version (with the V4.075 firmware) for the original Master 7 with the firmware update and using I2s as the input.

I have had the HE version for two months now and did a compare last weekend of the two before shipping the DI-20 to it's new owner. Both units were powered up for a number of days during this comparison.

The DI-20 is a great upgrade for the M7 and is similar to something like the Singxer SU-6. In my system the M7 only truly shined once paired with this level of DDC. The detail, separation and faithful reproduction of the music is a treat.

Comparing to the DI-20HE is easy enough because the two units have exactly the same sound signature. One definitely sounds better then the other but is it worth the extra cost? And I would have to say absolutely. Bass definition, texture, separation and soundstage shine through more with the HE version. Basically for the retail price of a good power cable or two.

Is it a good investment overall for something like the M7? You would be dropping more than a $1k USD into an older dac. I think to give it a brand new life it's definitely worth it. And a lot of fun to see how far you can take the M7.

Also for any digital gear I do feel now that the HE version is a must if you don't have a good external power regenerator.

Thanks again to Kingwa for the M7 firmware upgrade right near the end of its life cycle. Without that none of this would be possible. And one tip is to power up the M7 first, DI-20 second. Otherwise the signal doesn't seem to lock correctly.
Hello Peter
Do you have any AC treatment or filtering on the line you connected the DI-20 and DI-20HE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back