Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Feb 28, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #4,186 of 4,451
Thanks. I suppose the DI-20HE will be the DI-20 with a power supply, and on steroids, so to speak. Given the warnings about using higher grade DACS for the DI-20HE, I wonder whether my older Reference 5.32 with the Amanero Combo qualifies as a higher grade DAC that might benefit from it. I've sent an inquiry about this to King Wa, but I would welcome any related input from the collective wisdom of forum participants.
I think You have a good chance to better the input in Your 5.32. The present USB input should be pretty easily replaced by the better Amanero Combo384 module. You cold also replce it by a HDMI module. The latter needs a rework on the backplate (widen the opening) for the HDMI interface.
/Jan

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4,187 of 4,451
DI20 have many different outputs and isn't limiting to I2S.

1614509424608.png
Yes, i have also been wondering about those other outputs. The Reference 5.32 has three types of inputs that include two s/pdif coaxial and two optical inputs, so it seems it could work with the DI20, No?

RE522.png

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,188 of 4,451
Thanks. I suppose the DI-20HE will be the DI-20 with a power supply, and on steroids, so to speak. Given the warnings about using higher grade DACS for the DI-20HE, I wonder whether my older Reference 5.32 with the Amanero Combo qualifies as a higher grade DAC that might benefit from it. I've sent an inquiry about this to King Wa, but I would welcome any related input from the collective wisdom of forum participants.
Very much possible to upgrade the Ref 5.32 and make it sound much better. The 5.32 uses the same DSP code as the older Master 7 . If you haven't tried the 2016 DSP firmware (Master 7 V7) you are in for a treat. And these older DACs sound best with lowest jitter inputs.

I installed the Amanero module in my Ref 5.32. The Amanero is deeper that USB32 and had to notch the corner of the board to get it to fit. Would recommend upgrading the Amanero XOs for lowest jitter (Kingwa sells). See below.

The ultimate low jitter input (perhaps) would be adding the HDMI I2S module. Should work if it fits and any board notching does not affect the circuit. And hacking on the backpanel to make the HDMI connector fit. I sold my Ref 5.32 before I was tempted to add the I2S module.

Attachments

• Ref5-AmaneroUSB.jpg
    Ref5-AmaneroUSB.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,189 of 4,451
Very much possible to upgrade the Ref 5.32 and make it sound much better. The 5.32 uses the same DSP code as the older Master 7 . If you haven't tried the 2016 DSP firmware (Master 7 V7) you are in for a treat. And these older DACs sound best with lowest jitter inputs.

I installed the Amanero module in my Ref 5.32. The Amanero is deeper that USB32 and had to notch the corner of the board to get it to fit. Would recommend upgrading the Amanero XOs for lowest jitter (Kingwa sells). See below.

The ultimate low jitter input (perhaps) would be adding the HDMI I2S module. Should work if it fits and any board notching does not affect the circuit. And hacking on the backpanel to make the HDMI connector fit. I sold my Ref 5.32 before I was tempted to add the I2S module.

I also had the Amanero USB module installed some years ago. I have to look into the possibility of adding an HDMI i2S module, if that is at all possible. King wa just sent me a link to an Amanero firmware update, which is apparently from 2018.

https://www.amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

I am willing to try it, but he did not provide me with any instructions about how to perform the firmware update, or even which of the links to select. The page is full of links, and I wouldn't know which links apply to my Ref 5.32 w/Amanero combo. The other little problem is that I see no indication of Mac compatible updates, although I see several mentions of Windows and linux OSs

Any tips as to how to navigate among the choices on that page and find the right ones for my Ref 5.32?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #4,190 of 4,451
@sahmen Have you seen this page on Amanero updating? The steps were written by a DI20 user and mentions pushing a ted button to erase the Flash. You would short the two board pins in place of the button push.

I upgraded once and was a bit cryptic on what to do in the loading software. It worked after messing with it, thank goodness!

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #4,191 of 4,451
Okay, I see. So they might work with my Sonnet morpheus, which has an i2S input, albeit the RJ45 kind of I2S input?

The DI-20's I2S output is via HDMI.

I still have my Ref5.32. Out of all its inputs, the Amanero is still the best. Your best bet to improve the sound quality over is like what I did: add the Icron Ranger USB-LAN extender to add USB galvanic isolation and data buffer. I am now using the Icron Ranger with my M7S.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #4,192 of 4,451
I also had the Amanero USB module installed some years ago. I have to look into the possibility of adding an HDMI i2S module, if that is at all possible. King wa just sent me a link to an Amanero firmware update, which is apparently from 2018.

https://www.amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

I am willing to try it, but he did not provide me with any instructions about how to perform the firmware update, or even which of the links to select. The page is full of links, and I wouldn't know which links apply to my Ref 5.32 w/Amanero combo. The other little problem is that I see no indication of Mac compatible updates, although I see several mentions of Windows and linux OSs

Any tips as to how to navigate among the choices on that page and find the right ones for my Ref 5.32?
Why would you want to upgrade the Amanero firmware? The Ref5.32 is a PCM only DAC so all the DSD related bug fixes in the latest Amanero firmwares are irrelevent. Kingwa himself mentions in the audio-gd Chinese forum that the original Amanero firmware sounds the best as it uses the least amount of resource.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #4,193 of 4,451
Yes, i have also been wondering about those other outputs. The Reference 5.32 has three types of inputs that include two s/pdif coaxial and two optical inputs, so it seems it could work with the DI20, No?

RE522.png

I believe it will work and probably make all your DACs sound better :slight_smile:. DI-20HE cost more but ...

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #4,194 of 4,451
You will get many answers for what firmware people like. But I use R7_P2_DSDCLK and even R7_tda in the older DACs. And also use DSDCLK in the R7 DAC. Why? Just think they sound better in my system on PCM tracks. Try them both!

And strictly use OS 8x on all DACs. NOS is really very good but like the detail/ clarity provided by OS 8x.
Hi,
I am trying the DSDCLK firmware on my M7S with Accusillon clocks instead of the last DOP1.1 and I found the bass a little shy. Little lack of impact, but you are right, the sound is more open than with the DOP1.1.

Do I need to let turn a moment with a new installed firmware? (run-in??)

I maybe prefer the old firmware R2R7V3IIS2_S (need to be confirmed)

I will also try the R7_tda.

The documentation of the different firmware are very confused... When I download the firmware for Dac with Optical on IN4, on the documentation is written for Dac with hdmi on input 4.... Kingwa need to be more clear I think. It is my feeling of course...

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,196 of 4,451
For those who had problem upgrading firmware in Amanero module, read on. Instruction on the A-Gd website is now updated for a new devices and it doesn't apply anymore. I checked, my R2R-11 needs the same instruction, but is crosslinked to the new instruction. Atcually it is very simple in few steps.

1. Get a photo of the board from Audio GD website. Your board may be installed upside down. The same pins layout is accessible from the back side. Locate shorting contacts, there are always square one and a middle.

2. Get firmware update tool from the Amanero website. A default firmware is the first position CPLD_for_1080, so download oem_tool 117.

3. Unzip the archive to a separate directory. Open readme.pdf and follow instruction inside, but when you read "unplug the USB cable and replug it again", turn off power off a DAC instead then power it on.

A reason for this change is that unpluging the cable do not reset Amanero module, only turning power off a DAC does.

Is it worth? Of course. When you use Windows 10 as a source it is mandatory, as Microsoft was messing up with USB driver stack for long time before got it right.

EDIt: Download and install new drivers too.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4,197 of 4,451
Hi folks, just come back to proper music for a long time.
My old gear is still performing perfectly, HD800/HD600/Denon D2000/Grado HF2 with Master 7 non-singularity and MapleTree Ear+ HD upgraded.

I got my eyes on Master9, anyone here using the Kingwa stack could give me some reference?

Music genre is not an issue as I enjoy almost everything lol.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #4,198 of 4,451
I got my eyes on Master9, anyone here using the Kingwa stack could give me some reference?
I don't know a difference, wait for someone else response, but I read in other threads that HE-1 is an absolute cracker. A price difference is justified.

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #4,199 of 4,451
Hi folks, just come back to proper music for a long time.
My old gear is still performing perfectly, HD800/HD600/Denon D2000/Grado HF2 with Master 7 non-singularity and MapleTree Ear+ HD upgraded.

Music genre is not an issue as I enjoy almost everything lol.
I have the he9, it's excellent. Very neutral. Very smooth. The end result depends much on cable matching to get the perfect balance. I like a slightly warm headphone set (monoprice m570) with it as it matches my speakers. I use the he9 also mostly as a pre, as i am only an occasional headphone user.

You would be fine with the master-9. The master-19 is also interesting. These units, especially the he9, run hot.

May 6, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #4,200 of 4,451
Hi all. Hope someone is able to help.

I have been trying to get my old optical module to work on my digital 2019 board. No success.

My optical is from the original M7 and need 5v to work? Old reciver look like RX177L.

The new board have 3,3v. Do I need a new optical module?

Is it possible to change the parts on the old module. What parts do the new module contain? What RX is the new reciver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back