Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Dec 21, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #3,556 of 4,451
So how does it sound after the DSP upgrade and the Amanero install?  Don't know yet, but I'll be back with a brief description of impressions. Stay tuned
smily_headphones1.gif

How did the Amanero work for you in the Ref 5 ?  I also order one for my Master 7 to replace the USB32 board so curious. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,557 of 4,451

How did the Amanero work for you in the Ref 5 ?  I also order one for my Master 7 to replace the USB32 board so curious. 

I have to begin with a caveat here, or two :  

I have noticed some changes (mostly good ones) in the sound-signature, but I could not immediately tell which of them to attribute to the DSP upgrade, and which to attribute to the Amanero combo installation, since both upgrades were done around the same time, and I never got to audition the unit after the DSP upgrade, before installing Amanero.  

The other small issue is that owing to some temporary changes in household circumstances (especially room-sharing arrangements), I have not been using the Ref. 5.32 rig as often as I used to, about six months ago, so my memory of the previous sound signature of that rig is fuzzy at best.

Now with all of that said,  I hear a little more liveliness and forwardness in the mids, and highs than before... Detail retrieval and general resolution are is slightly more improved. If I am not mistaken, the sound stage appears to be a little more wide and spacious. On the flipside, the bass impact sounds a little less prominent, but it seems that is more of a side effect of  the improved liveliness of the mids and highs, than anything intrinsic that has happened to the bass per se. The bass still extends as far down the scale as it used to do: it is just its relative quantity that seems slightly reduced, on balance.  I think the overall dynamism of the soundfield has been enhanced owing to the changes, but the top end has gotten more sparkle than before, but that means that on some rigs, with some songs, and with some headphones, that sparkle might occasionally stray into "treble-glare" territory, which is not to say that the new Ref. 5.32 is necessarily too bright or etched by nature. I just remember having to replace my old emotiva USB cable with a totaldac d1 usb filter in an attempt to filter out some of the perceived harshness at the topend of the frequency spectrum during playback of some songs, when using my He-6, and I do not remember being ever bothered with upper-end harshness, when using the He-6 with this same rig about 6 months ago.  On the other hand, listening to the same songs on the same rig with the Hifiman He-1000 hooked up with a Norne Silvergarde S cable seemed to remove any hint of occasional harshness, and smoothen things all over the sound scape.  

I guess what can be said, in sum, is that these changes (DSP/Amanero) have altered the sound of the Ref. 5.32 mostly for the better, in terms of its technical capabilities, and that the benefits in sq might be system dependent.

System:

Mac mini (Amarra/itunes)==>>Totaldac d1 usb==>> uptone Regen==>> AGD Ref. 5.32 ==>>ACSS ==>>AGD NFB1amp ==>>hifiman he-6/he=1000

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,558 of 4,451
New master 7 singilarity model http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Singularity%207/Singularity%207EN.htm with a whole new digital board. would be interesting how much the new board will cost

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #3,560 of 4,451
I installed TeamViewer 12 for the upgrade tomorrow. I think I read someone in this thread saying that it should be version 11 and not 12. Is this true or can I use v12?

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,562 of 4,451
My post - Has to be 11.  I had 12, but they couldn't get in  I know nothing about Teamviewer, so I don't know why.
Strange since Audio-gd doesn't specify the version in the upgrade page.

Edit: Where did you get version 11? Official TeamViewer site?

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #3,563 of 4,451
  I installed TeamViewer 12 for the upgrade tomorrow. I think I read someone in this thread saying that it should be version 11 and not 12. Is this true or can I use v12?

Well, I also used the v12, which is the default version I got from the web.  The AGD technician was able to get on board quite easily, even though he initially assumed I was on the v11, via an e-mail message he sent me, and I had to correct him via e-mail, i.e. tell him that I was using the v12 instead  I think they are now up to speed about this situation, and version 12 will work perfectly well.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,564 of 4,451
  Well, I also used the v12, which is the default version I got from the web.  The AGD technician was able to get on board quite easily, even though he initially assumed I was on the v11, via an e-mail message he sent me, and I had to correct him via e-mail, i.e. tell him that I was using the v12 instead  I think they are now up to speed about this situation, and version 12 will work perfectly well.

Thanks. I will expect v12 will work then, but send Audio-gd a mail in advance saying I have TeamViewer v12.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #3,565 of 4,451
Ho-hoo! Santa Audio-gd has visited for a few minutes and had a nice virtual Christmas gift for me: DSP v7 down the data chimney!
It was extremely quickly done. Even though the employee asked for TeamViewer 11, it worked perfectly with v12.

My sound impressions after a few minutes of listening (Reference 7.1 with DSP v7, coming from DSP v1):

Definetely "faster" as in more and better micro details, higher resolution and transparency, more precise imaging, deeper sound stage, a more ethereal sound. It's like a better source (lower jitter) or even a new DAC!

Frequency response seems to be roughly the same (which it should), but there is more focus and energy in the treble which may be a turn-off, if the total audio chain is already on the light or bright side. I don't feel the bass is enhanced as others have experienced.

It is clearly a technical and sonical upgrade, but I think that the "analog", R2R DAC chip sound, is less - if not lost. However, high end music reproduction is not about sounding in a particular way, but to convey a faithful sound image of the recording. I am convinced that this is a good step in that direction. If the treble appears too bright, we can do something to our headphones or speakers / room.

EDIT Dec. 27th: The extra treble I experienced at first is gone. I don't think it's because I got used to it, because I haven't had time listening to the DAC during Christmas and had my first "sound check" today after the day of the DSP update. The first impression of extra treble could be because the DAC was cold, but frankly I don't know why I don't hear it anymore. However, it does seem that the bass is a bit tighter and because of that not so full sounding. Resolution and transparency is certainly better providing better imaging and depth.

No doubt a notable upgrade to the sound of my Reference 7.1.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3,567 of 4,451
If the treble appears too bright, we can do something to our headphones or speakers / room.

The extra details in the high frequency can be a surprise to anyone who setup a system around the warmer version of the M7.  Two days ago I swapped my neutral power cable for a gold plated version of the same cable.  I find the gold plating warms everything up. 

I bought the cable for my headphone amp but they didn't pair well, too muddy sounding.  I think it is because the power requirements are so low on my amp and the gold plating was overwhelming for a low power draw.  But I am just speculating.

On the M7 with the new DSP it seems to be a great match for a neutral system.  Just adds that touch of warmth that I was missing.  You might call it distortion and I would agree with you, but on a cooler system a bit of warmth is welcome. 

So now I have the best of both worlds it seems: more details and "realness" to the sound, and warmth to keep things a bit more musical.

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #3,569 of 4,451
  Is this the discreet dac? http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/DA01/DA01EN.htm

Yes it is. Not sold as a complete dac yet but as DIY module for now

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #3,570 of 4,451
  Every years, we are ask a the cooperate agents help us find the PCM1704 chip from worldwide, and they succeed.
But this year, they are fail. Not a single one chip can find.

Thanks for making your discreet R2R ladder DA-M1 for DIY use.  It looks great. 

How are the specs eg FFT compared with PCM1704-UK please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back