Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Dec 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,526 of 4,451
Audio Gd updated today an SA-1 dac I have to DSP v7. My first impressions are:

Pros: more clear & precise, less warm.
Cons: less romantic sound (less "musical"), more sibilant with bad recordings through Sennheiser HD800.

Pros handily overtake the cons for my tastes, a really significant upgrade. Audio Gd must be congratulated.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3,527 of 4,451
Understandable why the Singularity 7 has the Amanero USB.  In a recent Email to Kingwa about USB32 replacement he stated he prefers the Amanero over the XU208.  "[COLOR=000000]In my mind the Amanero is better than Xmos.  If your REF5 (or M7) had update the DSP firmware, the Amanero or Xmos can replace direct, without solder."[/COLOR]

Yeah that's right. The Amanero is still the one offered with the M7. Sorry for the confusion. I wonder how much difference an external ddc will make with the singularity. And how much time before the m7 comes with discrete DAC boards. Knowing Kingwa, its discrete implementation should be better than the PCM1704k.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #3,528 of 4,451
It would make sense if he chooses to stop manufacturing Master 7 (with PCM1704UK) if he has come up with a better solution (the discrete DAC module). Whether the new module is in fact better, only Kingwa knows. He probably won't say anything before he has a finished product to sell...

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #3,529 of 4,451
Pros handily overtake the cons for my tastes, a really significant upgrade. Audio Gd must be congratulated.

Yes indeed. A significant upgrade.

Audio-gd could of just packaged this new DSP into the new Singularity M7 but for both marketing and customer loyalty reasons they have given existing users a real gift.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,530 of 4,451
Kingwa gave us a gift indeed.  Prior to upgrade I was seriously thinking about selling the Master 7.   After over a month with the new firmware the M7 is still sensitive to source driving the inputs.  I recently upgraded my DDC from Gustard U12 to Singxer SU-1 and change for the better is immediately apparent over HDMI I2S.  The M7 still yields more abundant bass as the source jitter is lowered but the bass quality is much improved versus the older firmware.  That is even more apparent with the SU-1.  The M7 lights up my bass shy speakers like no other DAC.  Huge soundstage like no other DAC as well.  Vocals now clearer and up front.  I am very happy with these recent changes.

But I can see why some report differing changes with the new firmware.   It may have a lot to do with what source/ input you are using.  With the U12 DDC the sound changes from warm and bassy to better balanced frequency response.  That was a remarkable difference.  Going to SU-1 brought more abundant bass back into the picture along with better clarity.  So experiment if you can as low jitter on the input is key to best sound quality (always been so in my case).  LOL but may be too much bass for some systems.

The M7 Singularity has piqued my interest with a seemingly better clock/ DSP board.  Should be less variation between source inputs.  Looking forward to a comparison.     

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,531 of 4,451
Kingwa gave us a gift indeed.  Prior to upgrade I was seriously thinking about selling the Master 7.   After over a month with the new firmware the M7 is still sensitive to source driving the inputs.  I recently upgraded my DDC from Gustard U12 to Singxer SU-1 and change for the better is immediately apparent over HDMI I2S.  The M7 still yields more abundant bass as the source jitter is lowered but the bass quality is much improved versus the older firmware.  That is even more apparent with the SU-1.  The M7 lights up my bass shy speakers like no other DAC.  Huge soundstage like no other DAC as well.  Vocals now clearer and up front.  I am very happy with these recent changes.

But I can see why some report differing changes with the new firmware.   It may have a lot to do with what source/ input you are using.  With the U12 DDC the sound changes from warm and bassy to better balanced frequency response.  That was a remarkable difference.  Going to SU-1 brought more abundant bass back into the picture along with better clarity.  So experiment if you can as low jitter on the input is key to best sound quality (always been so in my case).  LOL but may be too much bass for some systems.

The M7 Singularity has piqued my interest with a seemingly better clock/ DSP board.  Should be less variation between source inputs.  Looking forward to a comparison.     

I completely agree on bass and imaging: both are splendid.

If Kingwa offers the new Singularity board for a diy upgrade, i will have a hard time not ordering it. One big point about this new design is minimizing the digital signal path and parasite capacitance. Regarding this, i wonder how much the chip input selection is immune to cross-talk, or if there are still relays in the design.

One other point: either the dac output stage/wiring is adapting to the increased dynamics or i am getting used to it, or maybe it is just my new amps getting better still after 400 hours, but i appreciate the new sound more and more as time goes by. Life is good.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3,533 of 4,451
One other point: either the dac output stage/wiring is adapting to the increased dynamics or i am getting used to it, or maybe it is just my new amps getting better still after 400 hours, but i appreciate the new sound more and more as time goes by. Life is good.

The parallel 1704UK DAC chips most likely have a lot to do with dynamics in the Master 7.  

A few years ago when AGD burned in Master 7s for only 100 hours they did not sound that great out of the box.   Very flat, 2D sounding for many months.  The rich sound and depth slowly evolved over 6 months time.  My Ref 5.32 sounded better but the M7 slowly outpaced it over time.  Kingwa then started burning in 300 hours to get over the initial hump.  After the long run-in period the M7 sounds great when switched on and best after about an hour warm up.      

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,534 of 4,451
  The parallel 1704UK DAC chips most likely have a lot to do with dynamics in the Master 7.  

A few years ago when AGD burned in Master 7s for only 100 hours they did not sound that great out of the box.   Very flat, 2D sounding for many months.  The rich sound and depth slowly evolved over 6 months time.  My Ref 5.32 sounded better but the M7 slowly outpaced it over time.  Kingwa then started burning in 300 hours to get over the initial hump.  After the long run-in period the M7 sounds great when switched on and best after about an hour warm up.      

DACLadder, did you find much difference between de M7 and the Ref 5.32? I own one upgraded to NOS 5 with Amanero board and with V2 firmware turned out to be a great deal of improvement regarding the Ref 5.32 in NOS mode. My question is because I'm thinking to move to a NOS 7...or maybe wait for a new version based on the Singularity and with the new home made chips.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #3,535 of 4,451

DACLadder, did you find much difference between de M7 and the Ref 5.32? I own one upgraded to NOS 5 with Amanero board and with V2 firmware turned out to be a great deal of improvement regarding the Ref 5.32 in NOS mode. My question is because I'm thinking to move to a NOS 7...or maybe wait for a new version based on the Singularity and with the new home made chips.

Yes, there are differences with the Ref 5.32 and M7.  Basic timbre is similar but the Master 7 with low jitter source like HDMI I2S is just so much more dynamic, more bass,  and crisper sounding (on the  good side of neutral).  Soundstage is wider/ deeper as well with the M7.  But the Ref 5.32, like other models, sound much better with the recent FW upgrade.  But I can only feed S/PDIF to the Ref 5.32 currently.  I have an Amanero board ordered for the Ref 5.32 that should be much better than either S/PDIF or USB32.

Kingwa stated the following recently... "The Reference series had much different to the Master series.  Less bass and more roll off on high, less dynamic and detail but warmer.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #3,536 of 4,451
That is an accurate statement.

The Ref 5 was the darkest of them all (treble roll off). The Reference 10 is still pretty dark compared to the SA-2 and Master-7 (which I owned) or Master-11.

The M7 bass hits *really* hard, but used to be thick and not so well defined back when I owned it (almost 2 years ago). Had a great mid-range tone, though.
I would love to hear the M7 with the recent upgrade!

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,538 of 4,451
Guys, I'm a bit late in the game with this upgrade, and I need help:  One of the steps in the prep for the upgrade requires connecting the connecting the USB Blaster to the DAC and to the computer, but I do not know how to go about doing that with the blaster I got which is pictured below :

The small end of the added USB cable connects to the Blaster, while the big connector goes to the computer...  But I cannot figure out how to connect the blaster to the Reference 5.32 (my DAC) in this situation.  First of all, there seems to be no port on the DAC that can accept either end of the above USB cable.  I do have other USB cables, but only one end of the Blaster itself accepts any USB cable at all, so I'm confused :  How does one set up this connection, or this chain of connections (USB Blaster ==>> DAC ==>> Computer?)  Does the belt-like cable in the picture go anywhere at all?

Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I purchased this blaster by following a link someone posted on these Audiogd forums dealing with this upgrade, so I did not have any feeling that I was buying the wrong blaster.

Thanks for the help.

One more thing:  I have already downloaded the Teamviewer application.  Is the Quartus ii the only other software I need to download for this upgrade, if so, then which version should I get?  Thanks again.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3,539 of 4,451
It looks like you should plug the ribbon cable head to the pins shown below here but confirm the orientation with them:

Quote:
  Guys, I'm a bit late in the game with this upgrade, and I need help:  One of the steps in the prep for the upgrade requires connecting the connecting the USB Blaster to the DAC and to the computer, but I do not know how to go about doing that with the blaster I got which is pictured below :

The small end of the added USB cable connects to the Blaster, while the big connector goes to the computer...  But I cannot figure out how to connect the blaster to the Reference 5.32 (my DAC) in this situation.  First of all, there seems to be no port on the DAC that can accept either end of the above USB cable.  I do have other USB cables, but only one end of the Blaster itself accepts any USB cable at all, so I'm confused :  How does one set up this connection, or this chain of connections (USB Blaster ==>> DAC ==>> Computer?)  Does the belt-like cable in the picture go anywhere at all?

Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I purchased this blaster by following a link someone posted on these Audiogd forums dealing with this upgrade, so I did not have any feeling that I was buying the wrong blaster.

Thanks for the help.

One more thing:  I have already downloaded the Teamviewer application.  Is the Quartus ii the only other software I need to download for this upgrade, if so, then which version should I get?  Thanks again.

Most of the helpful info regarding the upgrade  is located on page 229.  I would go through pages 226 to 228 as well.
I would take a picture of your Ref 5.32 and email it to audio-gd. They will be able to tell you which orientation you should plug in the ribbon cable head.

If you're using those ebay usb blaster clones, you should download quartus 12.1 instead of 16.
But here's the link for quartus 12.1 (you must register to download) : https://www.altera.com/downloads/software/prog-software/121.html
You just need the 143 mb stand alone version for the upgrade.

The audio-gd guide asked to install teamviewer 11 but I used 12 instead and It took them 2-3 tries to connect to my teamviewer.  

audio-gd dsp firmware update guide: http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7_384/DSPupdataEN.htm

I opened the picture below during our teamviewer session and asked them via teamviewer chat if what's shown in the picture below is the correct way or not.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #3,540 of 4,451
  Audio Gd updated today an SA-1 dac I have to DSP v7. My first impressions are:

Pros: more clear & precise, less warm.
Cons: less romantic sound (less "musical"), more sibilant with bad recordings through Sennheiser HD800.

also have my m11 and sa1.32 updated, totally agree with your Pros, however i found that it actually less sib and more forgiving with mp3 320kbs now with my hd800. Though its also less musical but the sound is somehow smoother and its like liquid pouring into your ears now :)

best upgrade gears ever and for free :)

p/s: also fix imbalance issue when running 1x OS that presented on both m11 and sa1.32 before, now you can enjoy playing NOS without need to adjust channel balance from player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back