Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
May 15, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #2,776 of 4,451
Hi:

Perhaps this question has been addressed in this 185 pages-long thread, but any help is really appreciated. I was following the instructions on the Audio GD website to upgrade the firmware of my Audio GD Master 7 to no avail. I am getting different windows than the ones displayed in the web site. Does anyone here knows how to do it correctly? Many thanks in advance. Pablo.

May 16, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,779 of 4,451

Posting my impression on the M7 with the Audiophilleo2 with PurePower.

The AP w/PP option is an "affordable" upgrade to the M7.  And for listeners who are looking for truth in sound it is an excellent upgrade. 

Using the M7 BNC input with the AP hooked directly up without a cable.

The M7/AP combo is a huge step closer to that audiophile sound; truer reproduction of the recorded material.  I would say the best way to describe the sound is accurate and without additional colour.  Soundstage and separation are just excellent.  Everything just flows as it should.

The AP is a great choice if your goal is accurate reproduction of the recorded material.  Jitter is minimized leaving the M7 to do its job. 

Plus the AP and PP are just great gear.  The AP's battery recharging system is a solid implementation, just hook it up and forget all about it.  The AP shuts off automatically after you haven't used it for a period of time and the batteries recharge.

The Master 7 is not necessarily a warm DAC and with the AP I can hear what Kingwa is talking about when he says that the sound will only be warm when the recording is.  So if you must always have a warm sound then maybe the M7/AP combo is not for you.  Depends also on your other gear I suppose.

May 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,780 of 4,451
To be honest I don't think that one should model the sound of the whole system with the DAC only. It greatly limits your choice for all gear that comes after the DAC.

I'd rather have a fully neutral setup and maybe fiddle a bit with different cables If I wanted to add just a bit more warmth to the sound.

May 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,782 of 4,451
Hi there. In few weeks, i think i will order for a master 7. Reason why ? with my Balancing Act, i would like to have more weight in sound, more powerful body and impact. It seems to be the one made for my taste.
So how does the master 7 with old records or low quality recordings? (I often look at youtube concert or videos for example, and all my music is not HQ). Is it a polyvalent high end dac or an exclusive dac (wonderful only with wonderful high definition source) ?

May 25, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,783 of 4,451
I just received my order of the DI-2014 for my non-USB Master 7. I'm loving it right now. I previously had an Offramp 5 paired with the M7 and I am just as satisfied with the DI-2014 running through its HDMI I2S output. I like that it also has an coax input so I can hook up my Oppo blu ray as a CD Transport and make use of the I2S board on the M7.

Audio GD also quoted me 50% off the regular price of the DI-2014. The price came to $150 + shipping. I don't know if there is a sale on this converter or if I just got the loyal customer treatment. Either way, I'm a very happy customer.

May 25, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,784 of 4,451
  Hi there. In few weeks, i think i will order for a master 7. Reason why ? with my Balancing Act, i would like to have more weight in sound, more powerful body and impact. It seems to be the one made for my taste.
So how does the master 7 with old records or low quality recordings? (I often look at youtube concert or videos for example, and all my music is not HQ). Is it a polyvalent high end dac or an exclusive dac (wonderful only with wonderful high definition source) ?

I used it to play mp3 file and watch movies or videos on youtube. The sound quality is equally amazing in my opinion. 

May 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2,785 of 4,451
  I used it to play mp3 file and watch movies or videos on youtube. The sound quality is equally amazing in my opinion. 

Yeah ! great news
dt880smile.png
. It'll be mine before end 2015 i think.

May 25, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,786 of 4,451
r one, the M7 definitely has more body and weight compared to what I've heard, like the Yggy, PWD2, Cantata, etc. I wouldn't exactly call it polyvalent. The M7 is more forgiving in the highs than the above DAC'S but will sound best with a high definition source. YouTube videos should be fine but the M7 will be revealing of source. Garbage in garbage out.

May 26, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #2,787 of 4,451
Thanks DrHeadphone for confirm me that weight and body is one of the chracteristic sound of the M7. Look at vidéos is 5% of my listening. Most of my listening hours are with  lossless and HQ musics. About forgiving highs, the tube amp is very sweet and neutral and would be very well appaired. ...I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back